• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

If you live SE of I-81 & I-78, the radar trends are encouraging. First, our low pressure center is clearly visible on vis satellite imagery, moving through North Carolina. (see animation: http://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/satellite/displaySat.php?region=BWI&isingle=multiple&itype=vis)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-21 at 2.55.13 PM.png

As we watch the low center curve up the coast, we'll also see our snow bands orienting themselves north to south. We are already seeing that if you look at the LWX imagery on loop. Lancaster, York, and even Harrisburg could get clipped by the incoming band down in Maryland with 1-1.5"/hr snow rates.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-21 at 2.52.59 PM.png

Can't forget the developing band near I-81, which may be the last "hurrah" from this system around here. All in all, good trends for the southeast tier of this forum. I'm going out for a measure soon, but it's tough to say exactly what we have seen because of the blowing/drifting. Eyeballing 3-4" in Lancaster.

Well done. Basically what I just said and posted about 2-3 hours ago. Of course your analysis was better with graphics. Great job. Let's enjoy a good Lancaster county thumping

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing so lightly out that it looks more like a light rainy drizzle. The sun I showed in the pic a few minutes ago is much brighter and so pronounced now that there are slight shadows from my fence posts. Seriously...wtf happened?

I have only been here one year, but I did spend 3 years in the Hazleton area also, and this is the 3rd storm this year to take a similar track to our south and we were relying on the northern edge of the precip.  It seems in all 3 that as the coastal enhanced precip to our south it robbed the moisture transport into the snow bands we had up here.  Just not our year so far.  We need these storms to either be a bit more intense, 990 instead of 995 for instance, or for them to track 50 miles further northwest.  Just unlucky this year that 3 storms all had the main bands set up just south of us. 

Nice band setting up from Shippensburg to Carlisle to the north side of Harrisburg. 

Been watching and waiting for that band to get in here for hours...ever since the nice batch of snow with frontal wave this morning.  Got a quick 1.5" early this morning and just flurries really since.  That band has been teasing all day looking like it would move northeast into this area but just dries out before getting in here.  I could be in a snowshadow effect in the valley here though. 

And it's active too. I see a lot of what those guys on PhillyWx were talking about with the more active pattern. 

I have tried to focus on this storm more the last 24 hours because I know its a big deal to a lot of people in the mid atlantic, but I still posted a lot on my facebook about the long range because I have always been more excited about the general pattern for us then this storm.  Just had the feeling from the start this would not work out well for most of us central PA northward.  I do think the pattern will produce in the next 2 weeks.  A lot of good analogs for us showing up like Jan 1994 for instance. 

Flurries here...

I have only been here one year, but I did spend 3 years in the Hazleton area also, and this is the 3rd storm this year to take a similar track to our south and we were relying on the northern edge of the precip.  It seems in all 3 that as the coastal enhanced precip to our south it robbed the moisture transport into the snow bands we had up here.  Just not our year so far.  We need these storms to either be a bit more intense, 990 instead of 995 for instance, or for them to track 50 miles further northwest.  Just unlucky this year that 3 storms all had the main bands set up just south of us. 

Oh, this isn't the first year this has happened here. I'm in Tamaqua 12 years now, and it's happened more times than I care to imagine. I think the ONLY way to get a big snow event here is to have a Miller A ride the immediate coast so as to flip Philly, NYC, and the rest of the I-95 crowd over to mixed precip or rain outright.

I have tried to focus on this storm more the last 24 hours because I know its a big deal to a lot of people in the mid atlantic, but I still posted a lot on my facebook about the long range because I have always been more excited about the general pattern for us then this storm.  Just had the feeling from the start this would not work out well for most of us central PA northward.  I do think the pattern will produce in the next 2 weeks.  A lot of good analogs for us showing up like Jan 1994 for instance. 

It's nice that we have the pattern but it needs to produce. And Voyager above me is exactly correct with the way the pattern goes anymore. We'd need a 93-style track to have a chance at a 10"+ snow.

Parents reporting only about 2" in Linglestown currently.

should be interesting to see final totals with east shore north of city and west shore... on west shore this band over 81 has been heavy for about an hour now and ill be more than happy if it continues...

Archived