Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamie good link!

My problem is....that on my main computer I have most of my weather links. But I find myself using my iPad a lot more lately. Which doesn't have very many weather links just a few. Need to get it better organized I guess.

Try Google Bookmarks. I use it a lot. You can access your bookmarks from anywhere.

I got 1.6. Put me over 30" for the year, anyway.

BTW I wonder if that person in Dover has a ruler that starts at 2", lol.

I agree I live in Dover and its hard to give an exact number but 7 to 8 would be close for the event. No way 9 inches at 4pm. Ohh well you have this. Cant measure in a hay field. We had 6 or so around 5 pm and this last few bands added another inch or two but a lot of wind also,

Jamie good link!

My problem is....that on my main computer I have most of my weather links. But I find myself using my iPad a lot more lately. Which doesn't have very many weather links just a few. Need to get it better organized I guess.

That is why I started the links thread... I had bookmarks saved on home laptop, work computer, iphone, etc and figured it would be an easier way to be able to access main links anywhere... I am slowly adding more and more... I know some wont work on iphones so designating what works where might be a route i look at someday

The evening of a decent snow is one of my favorite times. Everything is covered in snow, noise is muted, and even the dimmest light appears bright. Of course, a 4 second exposure helps enhance the lighting  :lol:

post-7557-0-97334000-1390350947_thumb.jp

post-7557-0-18431900-1390350964_thumb.jp

Oh, and Jamie, just beyond that 6' vinyl fence is our patio where our container garden is located.

This was was a very satisfying event here. Daytime accumulating snowfall without precip type issues will always rank high in my book. We finished with 5" of snow from .43" of precip for a ratio of about 12:1. The best part of this is the timing as I was expecting to have bare ground for the upcoming arctic blast. I expect we will log our coldest temps of the year with this snow cover.

The evening of a decent snow is one of my favorite times. Everything is covered in snow, noise is muted, and even the dimmest light appears bright. Of course, a 4 second exposure helps enhance the lighting  :lol:

attachicon.gifDSC_0440.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0441.jpg

Oh, and Jamie, just beyond that 6' vinyl fence is our patio where our container garden is located.

Yea its cool how quiet and lit up fresh snow makes it. I used to love working night shift during a snow. Beside the idiots out that wrecked.

I got 1.6. Put me over 30" for the year, anyway.

BTW I wonder if that person in Dover has a ruler that starts at 2", lol.

Must be like the person in Stormstown up here...I think theirs starts at 1-1.5"...although they were on par with this event.

1.3" in Bellefonte to bring us to 26" for the season.  Down to 6° now.

I put a little thought into this, and for you guys in true central PA to avoid heart break only depend on these types of storms. We have to play to our strengths, the first of which is the front end dump CAD event. State College to IPT to AVP can do really well in these events and usually IPT can end up with 5 to 9 inch amounts from these storms. These happen to be my favorite and the most dependable up here. Secondly, the bowling ball event. A northern stream wave that digs deep and gets amped up.These can produce a great regionwide snowfall and I love how little they usually change when modeled. The last hope for us is the rare Miller A storm is loaded with moisture and tracks up the east coast. While rare they are our best bet at a really significant snowfall. However, I have made up my mind not to fall into tracking a storm that is east enough originally to not give I 95 a significant snowfall. Huge NW trends are a myth and a good way to drive yourself crazy. So guys if you're in NC or True Central PA here is your ticket to success!! This is very basic meteorology, but from my CPA experience this is what we depend on for Warning criteria snows.

Makes me laugh I go and check out that s and s and those totals all seem crazy. People saying Dover got 11 to 12 inches come on. I live in Dover and have family in Dover and we both talked and with the wind did our best but would say 7 to 8. I just don't understand how people measure snow. I do see some double digits in york but seems to be by rt 30 south

I put a little thought into this, and for you guys in true central PA to avoid heart break only depend on these types of storms. We have to play to our strengths, the first of which is the front end dump CAD event. State College to IPT to AVP can do really well in these events and usually IPT can end up with 5 to 9 inch amounts from these storms. These happen to be my favorite and the most dependable up here. Secondly, the bowling ball event. A northern stream wave that digs deep and gets amped up.These can produce a great regionwide snowfall and I love how little they usually change when modeled. The last hope for us is the rare Miller A storm is loaded with moisture and tracks up the east coast. While rare they are our best bet at a really significant snowfall. However, I have made up my mind not to fall into tracking a storm that is east enough originally to not give I 95 a significant snowfall. Huge NW trends are a myth and a good way to drive yourself crazy. So guys if you're in NC or True Central PA here is your ticket to success!! This is very basic meteorology, but from my CPA experience this is what we depend on for Warning criteria snows.

I keep expectations cautious and look to be pleasantly surprised.

There are a few other ways to get significant snow in UNV:

- Clipper surprise. MAG and I have made out pretty well on these. A notable one in Jan 2012 gave us 7.1. You can find a few more examples in the CTP snow link I posted.

- Overrunning events.

We also get snow from coastals more than you do, likely part of the reason why our average is so much higher than yours. Feb 5-6, 2010 is an example, and the only reason why UNV didn't get much from Feb 9-10 2010 was dumb luck. I got 9. Some other notable examples are March 16, 2007 and the 2002 Christmas storm.

I've been having a serious issue in snowfall measurements at Millersville because of the drifting and very light nature of the snow. I'm seeing reports of 8" in Lancaster and more towards the Pa line near Harford county in MD. I'm guessing anywhere between 8-9" is probably right. Not a bad storm at all and one of the coldest I've ever been in. Looks beautiful outside

Nice write up!!

Myself I was fortunate to retire at an early age: A day like today I'm happy sitting in front of the fireplace drinking coffee watching the snow flurries. It was nice to see other members get some decent snowfalls. I love getting big snowfalls!! But on the downside they also mean a lot of cleanup afterwards. 500' of driveway between my house my parents and an older neighbor lady.

It does seem like a long time since we've had one of those "classic" storm tracks with mixed precip near the coast and the heaviest snow cutting through the middle of the state. You know, the proverbial "storms that drove me nuts as a kid growing up on the coast." But that's probably just bad memory on my part.

I'm gonna put this in the books at 4". I really struggled to get good numbers with the wind.

that is what I am going to go with officially... will melt down what is in my gauge tomorrow morning... my guess is close to a 12:1 ratio here as well... I honestly cant remember the last time we had snowfall for nearly 12 straight hours

Archived