joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, I don't think anyone gets as bad as you exaggerate though lol. It's natural for a weather freak to want a large synoptic storm moreso than clippers and lake effect squalls. I can't move because of my job, but if I had a pick it would be the hills of Connecticutt.

Um, yeah. I've mentioned this before, but I work with a few people with a background in psychology (my minor was in that) and I've shown them the board when we were talking about weather, and gave them the link. After looking at the board for a bit, they noted that there seemed to be a lot of people who suffer from depression who post here. They saw an awful lot of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion

I completely agree and it's not something you can really argue.

Also, it's fine to want a large synoptic snow, but if you live in an area where that doesn't happen a lot, you have to accept your climo. Otherwise, why make yourself miserable? Enjoy what you have.

psuhoffman

I have been enjoying reading your posts! Some interesting reads.

Jamie

What area's in our state have the highest snow totals?

I agree on yearly snow totals...our snow total we usually get a couple inches at a time. It all adds up.

Voyager

Man I feel bad for you!!! You need to move :-)

2 areas get the highest amounts: Number 1 is right along Lake Erie over to Bradford. Area number 2 is the higher ridge tops o Somerset County.

Here is the map.  Enjoy!

newAnnualSnow.jpg

Yep, that's the place to be, those two areas.

I think seeing the new average, 21-30 for most of the state will shock a lot of people. Some it won't because a decade or so of relatively poor winters (with quite a few exceptions) have many of us in the mindset that we just don't get a lot of snow.

In the grand scheme of things, we get enough.

More or less 9 inches.  Have not gone out to check other rulers on property.  Moderate snow falling and more heavy bands coming.  Nice event. Cold, down to 14.2 on my PWS.  Ratios should be sick in the final heavier bands this evening. 

Do you ever get a storm with less than 10"? Congrats once again...great picture!

I'm down to 14.9 with snow of varying intensity slowly diminishing overall...

2 areas get the highest amounts: Number 1 is right along Lake Erie over to Bradford. Area number 2 is the higher ridge tops o Somerset County.

Here is the map. Enjoy!

newAnnualSnow.jpg

I love this snowfall map I found that used satellite data and takes topography into account better then anything else I've seen. Laurels and poconos are the best bet for big storms in pa. post-2304-0-77153200-1390346058_thumb.jp

Here is the map.  Enjoy!

newAnnualSnow.jpg

WOW!  This is the first time I am seeing the new 30-year averages and I'm shocked.  I'm pretty sure the 1970-2000 average for the Harrisburg area was at least around 32" and I thought my area was around 34".  To see such a huge reduction throughout such a large geographic area is astounding (in a very disappointing way)!  The most recent decade added (2001-2010) has to be the reason for such a drop.  At least down in these parts the only winters that were average or above I believe were 2002-2003 and 2009-2010.  Many of the others were like 20" or even less.  Perhaps this current decade can make up for it over the next 6 years.

Nice. Do you have the link? Like to add as a bookmark.

Unfortunately no the site that had it seems gone. I've found others posted it also but the shakiest he key is lost plus there were several other awesome graphics like avg days with snow over and first and last snow maps that I can't find and lost when my CPU crashed.

Forgot to add my final data.  Snow ended just before 6:00pm.  It looks like I received close to 3.5" on average.  I haven't walked around my property because I don't have any boots!  (LOL--I know, poor excuse).  My reading jives quite well with Zak's and with the reading from Linglestown.

Nice to see Canderson has been beating me by a little bit with almost every event this season.  Seems like there was a period of time in the past where he was constantly coming up short compared to me here.  Proof positive that given enough time everything eventually evens out.

Unfortunately no the site that had it seems gone. I've found others posted it also but the shakiest he key is lost plus there were several other awesome graphics like avg days with snow over and first and last snow maps that I can't find and lost when my CPU crashed.

That's ok. I hope you keep posting when you can, I enjoy reading your input. 

Thanks guys! for the snowfall maps...

Jamie only I asked you...because you seem like your in the know with that kind of stuff. Your always posting averages & totals.

Wonder how much snow Mapgirl got today? Haven't seen any posts from her.

Sure no prob.

Hey, you pawatch and the rest of us...are you all familiar with this page?: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/snowmaps/index.php

It's pretty good.

Thanks guys! for the snowfall maps...

Jamie only I asked you...because you seem like your in the know with that kind of stuff. Your always posting averages & totals.

Wonder how much snow Mapgirl got today? Haven't seen any posts from her.

I gave her 8" last night, so she had a head start on most. #badjoke

Thanks everyone re: the house pic - too bad it's in a bankrupt city huh, ha.

Sure no prob.

Hey, you pawatch and the rest of us...are you all familiar with this page?: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/snowmaps/index.php

It's pretty good.

Jamie good link!

My problem is....that on my main computer I have most of my weather links. But I find myself using my iPad a lot more lately. Which doesn't have very many weather links just a few. Need to get it better organized I guess.

Archived