joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the Atlanta COO not willing to take blame for city streets; he's blaming it on the Interstate gridlock.

These people are amazing; nobody wants to own up they totally screwed up..

I'm listening to that, too.  Passing the buck.  There are a lot of people with a hand in this mess:  school systems, GDOT, local officials, individuals, etc.

Listening to the Atlanta COO not willing to take blame for city streets; he's blaming it on the Interstate gridlock.

These people are amazing; nobody wants to own up they totally screwed up..

I think there is too much onus on the importance of government responsibility in all this but that's not needed in banter and I'll stop myself right there.  I know the feeling of walking home in the snow due to gridlock, I did it in Jan. '05 while at NC State and the comedy I saw from how people acted and drove was mind-blowing for this Hickory guy.

I think there is too much onus on the importance of government responsibility in all this but that's not needed in banter and I'll stop myself right there.  I know the feeling of walking home in the snow due to gridlock, I did it in Jan. '05 while at NC State and the comedy I saw from how people acted and drove was mind-blowing for this Hickory guy.

Agree a lot needs to be spread around including people making individual decisions and we definitely don't want to go down the other road; we're close to the same thought probably.

Kudo's to my oldest Son for deciding to stay at a friends house near his work because he didn't want to get stuck in the traffic; unfortunately not everybody had that option.

Growing up in the North I still love the snow and driving in it but I will not get out around here unless there's minimal or no traffic.

Lookout, the only thing I can hope will make a difference this time is the stranded kids.  People get upset when they are stuck in traffic, but they forget quickly because hey, Atlanta=traffic.  However, I'm not sure they'll easily forget their kids having been stranded in buses and stuck at school overnight.  There might be a lot more pushback this time.  Maybe.  I know I'll be approaching the school superintendent about his longstanding reluctance to close schools when inclement weather is coming.

Let me predict his response. You can get back to me with my verification score.

Here goes.

The safety of our students is our top priority. Every effort is made to not end up in the situation in which we found ourselves today. However, when dealing with nature there are times when the unexpected happens. When bad weather is possible, beginning around 4am, school officials are monitoring conditions and receiving updates from the NWS and GDOT. In this case nothing we were told even hinted at the serious and dangerous conditions that quickly developed this morning.

A decision to dismiss was made immediately when we were informed that the forecasts were wrong and conditions were deteriorating rapidly. As you know, our buses run multiple routes so it takes several hours from the time the decision to close is made until the last students are delivered to their homes. Many of our buses were stuck in traffic on their first run and never arrived at schools to pick up their second and third loads.

We prepare for this type of situation and at no time were any students remaining at school danger of any type. There was plenty of food and beverages. Teachers and administrators supervised all students and everyone took the situation relatively in stride. I would like to thank blah, blah, blah........

Warnings went up for Northern counties as it started; Forsyth let out early but we were lucky because it started snowing here later than Cherokee.  Cherokee's supt is way too conservative..

A lot of this goes to DOT and local road folks; imho..  They weren't ready.  We had something like this in 2010/2011 and changes were made.  They weren't good enough.  We need pretreating available and pre-positioning of trucks.  Everybody knows about the bridges/overpasses/elevated roadways; those idiots need to be ready.  Heads should roll..

FWIR Cherokee County was added to the warning around 1pm today.  It started snowing at 10:45 in mby and by 1pm I had 1.5" on the ground.  The superintendent announced closure at 11am, and they started busing elementary kids home a little after 12pm, with middle and high school starting at 1pm. The warning was like closing the barn door hours after the horse ran off.

I'm not excusing the superintendent, but I also think the NWS should have had the far north counties under a warning last night.  I'm not a meteorologist but I read enough here to know that they were undercalling it.

Lookout, the only thing I can hope will make a difference this time is the stranded kids.  People get upset when they are stuck in traffic, but they forget quickly because hey, Atlanta=traffic.  However, I'm not sure they'll easily forget their kids having been stranded in buses and stuck at school overnight.  There might be a lot more pushback this time.  Maybe.  I know I'll be approaching the school superintendent about his longstanding reluctance to close schools when inclement weather is coming.

Yeah, I've never heard people so pissed about a busted forecast before. I think the kids being stranded has really gotten to people and frankly who can blame them? All they heard leading up to this was those in or north of town shouldn't worry because the only significant snow would be south of town and there was only going to be 0.083535  of an inch in northern northern cobb county and over ellijay because glen burns wsb's super duper "world heavyweight champion" computer model says so. The ellijay mention is because it's the main location  that burns super duper world heavyweight champion computer model ever forecasts snow showers for....oh and blairsville. :arrowhead:

But channel 11 just had the story of some guy who had to abandon his car (got stuck) so he could go pick up his son from school. He was pissed because at the same time they kept telling everyone to stay off the roads, they were telling the parents to come get their kid. And he wasn't the only one literally having to walk to school to pick up their kids. Just amazing.

The anger out there is something else. My father said he heard someone specifically blaming the nws and local mets. I've never really seen that before on the air. Certainly a lot of questions about why there wasn't more warning or heads up about the possibility of it happening.

Still have some fairy dust falling out there. Nice to see a white ground at night again.

FWIR Cherokee County was added to the warning around 1pm today.  It started snowing at 10:45 in mby and by 1pm I had 1.5" on the ground.  The superintendent announced closure at 11am, and they started busing elementary kids home a little after 12pm, with middle and high school starting at 1pm. The warning was like closing the barn door hours after the horse ran off.

I'm not excusing the superintendent, but I also think the NWS should have had the far north counties under a warning last night.  I'm not a meteorologist but I read enough here to know that they were undercalling it.

From this limited info I don't see that superintendent did anything wrong.

No warning before hand.

Snow started around 10:45.

15 minutes later the superintendent ordered schools dismissed.

2 hours later the NWS issued a warning.

Met on channel 5 (not cook but can't remember his name) essentially just appoligized to people north of town LOL. He sounded pretty down. I'm not sure if he did it on his own accord but  the way it was setup it sounded like he  was told to.  Having to apologize for a forecast..ouch.

And for those outside of the state, they still have bus drivers dropping off kids right now...imagine that..at nearly midnight!

about 2" in Fayetteville. still very light, dandruff like snow. what a horrible bust. i was legitimately expecting at least 6" of snow. i am looking forward to reading some write ups about why the models did so poorly on this storm in my area. what kept the sleet going for so long? it did not start until about 4, then the sleet went until 9:45 PM. not to mention it was well below freezing for awhile - was sleeting at 21 degrees. once it did start snowing, we got no heavy bands at all. even during the event, most mets were saying just be patient. just curious about what went so wrong.

Archived