joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Seidel is there, it's snowing in every other surrounding area except Fayetteville. Lol!

I know it man it's ridiculous. Mike Seidel is in Fayetteville? Do you know where?

TWC still says 4-6, accuwx still says 3-6. is it possible? this changeover needs to happen very soon or we'll be lucky to scrape out an inch.

They act like they didn't know it was going to snow. There was a WWA for a reason. Even if they said heavier amounts to the S, that doesn't mean you just pile up on the roads.

WWA isn't enough.  None of the schools closed for the day.  Employers take their lead from the schools.  If the schools don't close, you get your butt to work.  If the schools DO close, even then some employers want you in the office.  And the schools are claiming (at least ours) that the NWS didn't tell them this was going to happen until a 9am briefing this morning, when the kids were already there.

Moved this reply/post of mine to this thread from the observations thread. 

I agree with everything said here.....the thing is until the average person pays any bit of attention to weather, things like this will still continue to happen.  Just like with every EF-5 tornado, you still get the interviews with people who said it hit their house with no warning and you sit there and wonder how that could be?  Would better warnings help....how could they not have ANY IDEA this could happen?  The only thing that would prevent a day like this here is if at LEAST 24 hours in advance all the local media said...."do not got out, close everything, emergency situation".  I truly believe that's what it would take to avoid this.  Too many people are truly clueless about weather to avoid this and schools and businesses are not going to go out on a limb unless there is proof positive.

The thing is local tv mets constantly down played the threat for atlanta and areas to the north. And frankly ffc, didn't help matters by NOT issuing at least an advisory for the non watch/warning counties. Again they did so twice before for snow that would last 20 minutes because of the chance of ice on the roads. But this time they didn't. And people didn't get any warnings because there weren't any actual warnings until it was too late for much of the city and north of it.

And there are some people who are smart enough and interested in weather enough to know it is coming, but if their employers won't let them WFH, they have to go in and just deal with whatever happens.  Most businesses won't even consider closing even if the schools close.  Yeah, I have a spouse who has been stuck in traffic for 7 hours and is still over 20 miles away.  Because he felt like he had to go to work even though we knew this was coming.  Grr.

I think the only thing that would change if the average person paid more attention to the weather is that some popular media weather forecasters would have more pressure on them to do it right.  Maybe.

I blame a lot of this on local tv mets. They are so damn scared to forecast snow and being afraid they are going to bust. Yet here we see by NOT forecasting snow, entire cities are shut down. People are stranded for hours and people's lives are even in danger. So tell me, what's worse..forecasting 2 inches of snow and it only snows a half inch to an inch or not forecasting any and having all of this happen?

And it doesn't help matters either that these jackasses actually get on tv and say it's only going to snow 0.15 inches. WTF? Since when do we forecast snow down to the hundredth of an inch?  So in an effort to try and one up the stupidity of the other, they get too cute,  unrealistic in what anyone can accurately forecast and end up looking like total dumbasses. But when someone sees a forecast for a tenth of an inch of snow, they think no big deal.

And the kicker to all of it. People like glen burns will get on tv the same day or the next day and LIE about what happened. Like there being a "sudden shift in the models" or "no model showed this happening". I've seen him do this dozens of times. And what happens? Nothing. He can lie straight through his teeth and there is no accountability. And what gets me he and the other mets essentially are lying every day because they will act like their rpm model or whatever can actually accurately forecast the location of a single shower 24 hours in advance. Glen burns is the worst at this but they all do it. Ken cook is probably the only one who will say if he thinks the models is in error or at least doesn't pretend like it can forecast a single snow shower within a 5 mile radius a day or two in advance :arrowhead:

I've been trying to follow you guys for the last two days or so, but work makes it tough. I thought the forecast for Atlanta was really tough? Maybe to the point that those in the area felt it was ok to be out today?

It was tough but some of this could have been helped  if not for glossing over of the possible threat of enough snow falling in and north of town to create some travel problems. No one is saying they should have been forecasting inches of snow but I don't see how a winter weather advisory the day/night before was not justified..especially based on the threshold they have had this year with them.

It wouldn't have solved the entire thing but no doubt it would have helped because I would imagine more schools would have canceled if they had issued one the night before and you wouldn't have so many spending the night there.

sorry for the long post.

f

Lookout, the only thing I can hope will make a difference this time is the stranded kids.  People get upset when they are stuck in traffic, but they forget quickly because hey, Atlanta=traffic.  However, I'm not sure they'll easily forget their kids having been stranded in buses and stuck at school overnight.  There might be a lot more pushback this time.  Maybe.  I know I'll be approaching the school superintendent about his longstanding reluctance to close schools when inclement weather is coming.

In this case, they should have issued advisories and warnings, yes.  I didn't see a warning for my county until after I already had 1.5" of snow on the ground.  Really.

Warnings went up for Northern counties as it started; Forsyth let out early but we were lucky because it started snowing here later than Cherokee.  Cherokee's supt is way too conservative..

A lot of this goes to DOT and local road folks; imho..  They weren't ready.  We had something like this in 2010/2011 and changes were made.  They weren't good enough.  We need pretreating available and pre-positioning of trucks.  Everybody knows about the bridges/overpasses/elevated roadways; those idiots need to be ready.  Heads should roll..

Then you have people giving birth on the highway, children spending their snow day in school which is disgusting, especially when they wake up in the morning.

I guess if Atlanta had a tornado coming, the same thing would happen. They will say the Tornado wasn't forecast even though the severe potential would be clear that day.

Then you have people giving birth on the highway, children spending their snow day in school which is disgusting, especially when they wake up in the morning.

I guess if Atlanta had a tornado coming, the same thing would happen. They will say the Tornado wasn't forecast even though the severe potential would be clear that day.

I guess the population of Atlanta is nowhere near as educated as that of Waycross.

Archived