Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I'm confused...what did I miss in the hours I've been gone? TWC says for Fayetteville Snow to wintry mix? What's going on in Fayetteville I'm getting scared.

I swear I'm not being rude - I mean I really, really swear - but you gotta keep this stuff out of the discussion threads. Storm Mode is active.

Robert just posted this on FB

Thanks for all the new likes on this page. I'm so overwhelmed I can't answer all the PM's and emails though, but it's very much appreciated. This system is difficult, but it's never easy in the Southeast. I used a heavy dose of pattern recognition a few days ago when I saw the chance coming and the models are still playing catch-up. I have all my specific maps at the premium side, but I do put out custom maps here as well, and am working on one as we speak. The models aren't catching on to two things:

1) the amount of isentropic lifting from Texas, Red River and Tennessee Valley tonight and early Tuesday. 

2) Not pulling enough energy off the top of the Baja/Mexico upper low, hence every run of RAP each hour increases the moisture output in that initial band, much as I ancticipated.

3) The models don't know what to do on Wednesday when the remnants of the Gulf upper low try to get handed off to a "shear axis" near the Tennessee Valley. Instead they sweep everything out to sea quickly, but that might be a big error in eastern Georgia, eastern Carolinas and eastern Virginia.

4) Overall moisture could still fill in much more than shown, but that's almost unknowable now, until the RAP model or the radar literally tells something different. Be on guard in the morning about anywhere from eastern TN, Alabama and all points east through Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia and eventually northern Florida. Yes, Florida Ice and Snow. Imagine!

A dangerous ice storm for the SC low country and middle to south Georgia looks likely. Snow amounts are the trickiest to forecast. But much of NC, and VA, especially the further you go, are in fore sizeable snow. Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond and Norfolk should measure decent snow with this event...Possibly over 6" in Raleigh and Norfolk.

OT sorry - but can someone kindly post Robert's FB link so I (and any other one who's interested) can like his page? Thanks so much.  

No doubt man. I still remember Phil as a young boy fresh at UNCA. Man, he is legit now. So proud of him!!

Hoping for a foot, happy with .01 :)

STORM MODE ACTIVE!!!!

Good to see Dr Phil in the house...that sucker can talk up a storm! NeGa, burrel, blue kazoo and myself need some kind of miracle to see an inch. Guess that would include Mark, franklin and frosty too?

Pre model entertainment.  School kids covering Tool 46 and 2...Awesome!

Wow I was so lame at that age compared to them, and I was listening to tool by age 13! haha I would have loved to actually play it at that age.

This guy is also older than me AND cooler than me. Dang it, cant win. :

I like to consider myself a semi skilled hobbyist, but I don't know the answer to the following:

Would not snow that falls through less than saturated layers but that are already sub freezing throughout the column reach the ground much easier/quicker than is usual in our part of the country where evaporation cooling is usually needed to get all layers below freezing?  In other words, wouldn't less qpf be lost via sublimation than evaporation?

You basically answered your own question. The dry air evaporates the early precip before it reaches the ground.   Depending on the rate of precip and the dryness of the column, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Disclaimer: I am not a meteorologist and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night.

I like to consider myself a semi skilled hobbyist, but I don't know the answer to the following:

Would not snow that falls through less than saturated layers but that are already sub freezing throughout the column reach the ground much easier/quicker than is usual in our part of the country where evaporation cooling is usually needed to get all layers below freezing?  In other words, wouldn't less qpf be lost via sublimation than evaporation?

I have an opinion but not strong enough to state as a fact. I need to dial a friend.   Any takers?

I believe this is why ratios are higher when 850's are colder and it's colder at the SFC. 

Archived