• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

Never happens.  We are now beginning step 8 on my chain of storm events.

8. As zero hour approaches someone will post, "it's a matter of nowcasting now". This means that despite 7 days and nights of model watching, loss of sleep, loss of productivity on our jobs and alienating our families we still won't know what is going to happen until it happens.

It will be a matter nowcasting soon....or looking at the radar...or...better yet out the window

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't have said it any better. This storm is one of trickiest I ever remember(I'm young) but it's changed rapidly and often. It's still gonna change.

Other than Christmas 2010, this storm has to rank up there for most difficult to predict. Just hoping it will show some love to those of us in the northern burbs.

:cry:  :axe:

The NW "trend" (if there ever were such a thing, considering one run would jump NW and the next run would jump back SE; that's not a trend to me) is over. If you're not in the QPF as of the 18z NAM, your fun is over.

EDIT: this is for folks in the mountains/foothills of NC/VA on the NW fringe of the precip

Never happens.  We are now beginning step 8 on my chain of storm events.

8. As zero hour approaches someone will post, "it's a matter of nowcasting now". This means that despite 7 days and nights of model watching, loss of sleep, loss of productivity on our jobs and alienating our families we still won't know what is going to happen until it happens.

Guilty, as charged.

Looking rough up this way!!!

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE
AFTERNOON. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTH WINDS
AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.
CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 1 ABOVE IN
THE MORNING.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE
EVENING. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 14. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS.
CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

THE MORNING.

Lets take a trip down to FAYETTEVILLE.  Really pulling for those guys.. it seems like they've been in the cross hairs for about 3 days now.  

different state, but for GA, I'm thinking 400 down to 285, then 20 toward Augusta.  that just sounds weird.  But it might be more fun, since it would be flatter and less scary than when I drive up a narrow forest service road up in the mountains. 

since looks like its petering out for those of us farther north i am thinking the same thing lol. i may be heading down towards athens. unfortunately have a 9 AM work thing i cant get out of grrr so may go after that, unless a miracle occurs and its snowing imby lol

Well...comparing mine to yours does make me feel about .5% better...how much you want to bet we both see the same amount...NOTHING! :cry:

Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. North wind around 11 mph.

• Tuesday A chance of snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Northeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Tuesday Night A slight chance of snow before 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

THE MORNING.

Well...comparing mine to yours does make me feel about .5% better...how much you want to bet we both see the same amount...NOTHING! :cry:

Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. North wind around 11 mph.

• Tuesday A chance of snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Northeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Tuesday Night A slight chance of snow before 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

That's what I'm looking for NOTHING!!!

Well, I figured that I would give a first crack at a snow map.  I've never done one of these, so go easy on the criticism please.  With apologies to WilkesboroDude, I did not use MsPaint, but my line drawing skills aren't the best.  Anyway, here you go...

Sn0Hv1o.jpg?1

Great job looks about perfect, especially to NO SNOW circle!!! lol

Well, I figured that I would give a first crack at a snow map.  I've never done one of these, so go easy on the criticism please.  With apologies to WilkesboroDude, I did not use MsPaint, but my line drawing skills aren't the best.  Anyway, here you go...

Sn0Hv1o.jpg?1

You don't have to throw it at us in BIG DEEP RED SORROW! lol

Well, I figured that I would give a first crack at a snow map. I've never done one of these, so go easy on the criticism please. With apologies to WilkesboroDude, I did not use MsPaint, but my line drawing skills aren't the best. Anyway, here you go...

Sn0Hv1o.jpg?1

Please, for all that's good, don't leave me out of your maps, too. Always the step-child down here. :/

I got a chihuahua in this fight. :D

So correct me if Im wrong here:

Winston-S     no snow

ale                 red paint

m                   blizzard

Is this website just for people that are studying meteorology? It seems like my questions or posts often get deleted.

As I was ASKING....What causes some storm systems to take hours to "moisten" the air before precipitation falls to ground level? We're in some pretty dry air right now, aren't we?

Is this website just for people that are studying meteorology? It seems like my questions or posts often get deleted.

As I was ASKING....What causes some storm systems to take hours to "moisten" the air before precipitation falls to ground level? We're in some pretty dry air right now, aren't we?

You basically answered your own question. The dry air evaporates the early precip before it reaches the ground.   Depending on the rate of precip and the dryness of the column, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Disclaimer: I am not a meteorologist and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Archived