Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that 0 to -5 showing up over central eastern NC on the 2M temp on the last run of the GFS if so then that would put us in the running to set a all time record low which is -4 Jan 1984

The gfs will often show this if it expects snow to be on the ground. Most of the time it ends up being too cold. However, the euro was doing the same thing for a few runs over eastern nc where it has the most snowfall. Given the slight warm bias with the euro,  I thought that was interesting and it might indicate there really is a chance of significantly colder temps in places that get enough snow.   However, I've never really paid much attention to the euro's surface temps after a snow event so it might over do the cold like the gfs.

Been talking about that here. If we can squeeze in a half day tomorrow then the teachers and kids won't have to make it up. Wednesday we'll be out, Thursday will be questionable. 

IDK!  I think parts of ATL, especially the North end up here, are notorious for not closing the schools when a midday event is forecast.  They gamble because sadly the forecasts often end up being less than hyped.  Cherokee County's superintendent in particular is usually the very last one to give in and announce a closure, when everyone NSEW of us has already closed, lol.

I recall the big ice storm 3 year ago, the one that rolled in as rain around 2pm and started freezing the freeways by 3.  575 especially was a disaster, along with all the back roads up here that always go untreated.  I left the office in the city at 2 and it took me 7 hours to get home.  There were kids stranded at the nearby elementary school until after 10pm because their parents couldn't get here to pick them up.

IDK!  I think parts of ATL, especially the North end up here, are notorious for not closing the schools when a midday event is forecast.  They gamble because sadly the forecasts often end up being less than hyped.  Cherokee County's superintendent in particular is usually the very last one to give in and announce a closure, when everyone NSEW of us has already closed, lol.

I recall the big ice storm 3 year ago, the one that rolled in as rain around 2pm and started freezing the freeways by 3.  575 especially was a disaster, along with all the back roads up here that always go untreated.  I left the office in the city at 2 and it took me 7 hours to get home.  There were kids stranded at the nearby elementary school until after 10pm because their parents couldn't get here to pick them up.

I work for Gwinnett County Schools. They don't want to let us out for anything... :-)

That was nuts. I ditched work once the first icing reports came in and made it home before it got crazy. Hopefully nothing like that this time, besides a bit of snow.

HA. same here. But got a lot of practice over the last ten+ years of following and working five days a week. :)

I can't get any work done today.  Even though I'm looking at a fringe event, I still feel compelled to keep hitting refresh on the browser.  I think I'm addicted to AmWx Boards...

My money's on the Euro being in line with or east of the GFS.

For fun, I'll go the other way.  The Euro will be west.  "Put it on the board!"

Oh why not...Euro will come in 50 miles west and 80 miles north. If I'm wrong, so what. No one would pay me if I was right either.

Oh why not...Euro will come in 50 miles west and 80 miles north. If I'm wrong, so what. No one would pay me if I was right either.

Wait. You mean jshetley is not going to win some prize if his prediction of winter being over for us turns out to be correct?  Because I thought he must be getting something according to how staunchly he has beat that drum. :D

Wait. You mean jshetley is not going to win some prize if his prediction of winter being over for us turns out to be correct?  Because I thought he must be getting something according to how staunchly he has beat that drum. :D

He might turn out right. :(  The LR looks like a disaster. :eek:

Like were I am sitting RaleighWx map is one of several I have seen like that for this area......right now looking solid for 6-8" and that will most likely be lowball with 12-14" possible if things go really well, then Wed night with a deep snowpack we make a run at the all time record low here. Could be a top 3 storm for us here.

Archived