Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this website just for people that are studying meteorology? It seems like my questions or posts often get deleted.

As I was ASKING....What causes some storm systems to take hours to "moisten" the air before precipitation falls to ground level? We're in some pretty dry air right now, aren't we?

Your 2nd question is essentially answering your original.

Not to get into backyard specifics but yes the airmass across the SE currently is quite dry.

You basically answered your own question. The dry air evaporates the early precip before it reaches the ground.   Depending on the rate of precip and the dryness of the column, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Disclaimer: I am not a meteorologist and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn express last night.

I wonder what the dewpoint needs to be at before moisture starts to fall to ground level. Is there a magic number? BTW...thank you for answering. I thought the front of this website said people interested in the weather were welcome. Maybe that was a different site. Or maybe it's because I'm female.  <_<

Great job looks about perfect, especially to NO SNOW circle!!! lol

Thanks, Frosty!

You don't have to throw it at us in BIG DEEP RED SORROW! lol

I'm sorry, but I thought that was the best color choice.

Please, for all that's good, don't leave me out of your maps, too. Always the step-child down here. :/

I got a chihuahua in this fight. :D

I apologize, Peach.  You're correct, you should be inside the red circle of death too.

So correct me if Im wrong here:

Winston-S     no snow

ale                 red paint

m                   blizzard

That's about spot on!  Remember that there is a tight gradient with this thing as we go from east to west.  :)

I wonder what the dewpoint needs to be at before moisture starts to fall to ground level. Is there a magic number? BTW...thank you for answering. I thought the front of this website said people interested in the weather were welcome. Maybe that was a different site. Or maybe it's because I'm female.  <_<

The dew point is derived from temperature and humidity.  Air can hold more moisture as its temperature increases. The dew point is simply the temperature at which the air reaches 100% of the moisture it can hold.

I don't think being female will cause you to have less responses.  After all, 95% of the forum is made up of horn dogs of various ages.  :)

Really....smh     <_<     

Instead of getting upset about your post getting deleted because you answered your own question, why don't you check out the newbie information thread for some learning materials. 

Really....smh     <_<     

Instead of getting upset about your post getting deleted because you answered your own question, why don't you check out the newbie information thread for some learning materials. 

You're pretty grumpy for someone who is about to get their first winter storm in 123 years.  :)

The Nam goes drier and the GFS goes wetter. Nice.

Did the NAM turn out appreciably drier for anywhere except the Gulf Coast? IIRC it was pretty much the same if not a little wetter for western and central NC/SC.

Yeah that's totally it. Everyone knows the motto of AMWX is "Women Can't Do Science." :facepalm:

We have a female moderator for Christ's sake lol.

Did the NAM turn out appreciably drier for anywhere except the Gulf Coast? IIRC it was pretty much the same if not a little wetter for western and central NC/SC.

Yeah that's totally it. Everyone knows the motto of AMWX is "Women Can't Do Science." :facepalm:

Maybe I looked at a cached image or something..... hmmmm.

NAM and GFS were wetter for mby.

:blahblah:

Major Winter Storm on tap for Eastern North Carolina, impacts look greater than 12-26-2010, I don't think coastal sections will rival 1989, but this is a ~1 in 10 year event for folks east of 95. We are likely sacrificing the next 2 or 3 winters, oh well, we should be back in play in time for an epic solar min.

Archived