joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a weird start to January.  Thru 1/11 the mean temp is 3.8, which is 12.8 below my 16-yr avg.  However, I've had more precip (2.53") than snowfall (2.1"), and that imbalance appears likely to continue for a while.  At least the "snow"pack is still around 16".  Unfortunately, it's about 4" on the driveway and 1-2" on the porch stairs.  Tried to attack the latter in today's warmth (upper 30s), and chipped off some but was also nicking up the wood steps so there's still about half the ice layer remaining.

Slip and slide

That's how it is all over my area.  Driveways are impassable.  Main roads and most side roads are fine but driveways are another story. I don't think a few days of above freezing will help much.  What we need is an inch or two of wet snow to cling to the ice and then some below freezing temps to solidify the layer.  Everyone seems out of ice melt!

What a weird start to January.  Thru 1/11 the mean temp is 3.8, which is 12.8 below my 16-yr avg.  However, I've had more precip (2.53") than snowfall (2.1"), and that imbalance appears likely to continue for a while.  At least the "snow"pack is still around 16".  Unfortunately, it's about 4" on the driveway and 1-2" on the porch stairs.  Tried to attack the latter in today's warmth (upper 30s), and chipped off some but was also nicking up the wood steps so there's still about half the ice layer remaining.

lol similar boat here.  This will go down as one heck of an odd first half of winter. 

Very rare to get this combination of well below average temperatures, above normal precipitation, but below normal snowfall.  That is hard to compute.

lol similar boat here. This will go down as one heck of an odd first half of winter.

Very rare to get this combination of well below average temperatures, above normal precipitation, but below normal snowfall. That is hard to compute.

At least its cold, i mean w/out snowmaking mountains would really be ...well ...look at MRG.

But ya its cold dry and not ideal. Perhaps a warm week in florida powderfreak will give you a nice break.

lol similar boat here.  This will go down as one heck of an odd first half of winter. 

Very rare to get this combination of well below average temperatures, above normal precipitation, but below normal snowfall.  That is hard to compute.

Impossible to compute. Since that ice-storm in mid-december I've pretty much been utterly flummoxed by the weather. 

Flummoxed bordering on furious. 

I feel terrible for the mountain ops guys..." So it's going to be -15F today, and rain two inches tomorrow. You all gonna have the mtn ready?"

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/1.05” L.E.

Despite mostly non-accumulating flurries of fluff yesterday, we did manage to get some more robust graupel or something similar, so there was a tenth of an inch of accumulation for the tail end of that storm.   

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

For current seasonal stats, snowfall stands at roughly 22” on the lean side, and 68.7% of average.  It is however still within one standard deviation of the mean at -0.82 S.D.  In comparison to other recent seasons in my records, one item of note was that as of today, season snowfall to date has just fallen behind 2011-2012, and the season now sits ahead of only 2006-2007.

The next opportunities for snow in the area appear to be tomorrow into Wednesday, and then Friday/Saturday.

Impossible to compute. Since that ice-storm in mid-december I've pretty much been utterly flummoxed by the weather.

Flummoxed bordering on furious.

I feel terrible for the mountain ops guys..." So it's going to be -15F today, and rain two inches tomorrow. You all gonna have the mtn ready?"

The good news is that 3000ft picked up a fresh 0.8" yesterday from the upslope "event."

I amazed to still be waiting for a warning criteria event this far into the season here as the December storm came up short.

In the 2011-2012 "winter" we never had one (never even issued one) in the Champlain Valley (max snowfall from any single event was 4"), so it's been done before lol.

In the 2011-2012 "winter" we never had one (never even issued one) in the Champlain Valley (max snowfall from any single event was 4"), so it's been done before lol.

At least this season has had a Winter Storm Warning issued, so it’s ahead of 2011-2012 in that department, even if it’s now falling behind in snowfall.  Looking in my archives from this season, that’s actually the only one I’ve seen for our county, but appropriately it did coincide with our largest storm of the season at 10.4”.  Although accumulations may not have verified everywhere, the Winter Storm Warnings for that event were certainly widespread:

14DEC13A.jpg

It would be nice to see more of that as the season moves forward.

Only down to upper 20s this morning. Yesterday's relative warmth had little/no effect on snowpack, as it was fairly low RH and more clouds than sun. Even as the ash-covered porch steps were softening (not enough, however), the snowpack was generating its own cold and re-crisping whenever the sun was hidden.

4th rain event in 3 weeks tomorrow? With temps running 8F below my avg during that period? Seems more appropriate for Miami than Maine.

At least this season has had a Winter Storm Warning issued, so it’s ahead of 2011-2012 in that department, even if it’s now falling behind in snowfall.  Looking in my archives from this season, that’s actually the only one I’ve seen for our county, but appropriately it did coincide with our largest storm of the season at 10.4”.  Although accumulations may not have verified everywhere, the Winter Storm Warnings for that event were certainly widespread:

14DEC13A.jpg

It would be nice to see more of that as the season moves forward.

Yeah it didn't not verify here for sure and you know its bad when we start thinking of 2011-2012.  6" below normal at BTV now and 15" off last year's pace. There are no big ticket chances on the horizon (well maybe around the 19th but that is iffy right now). I sure hope February delivers.

Yeah it didn't not verify here for sure and you know its bad when we start thinking of 2011-2012.  6" below normal at BTV now and 15" off last year's pace. There are no big ticket chances on the horizon (well maybe around the 19th but that is iffy right now). I sure hope February delivers.

Our negative departures in temperatures will be wiped out this week too. Only -1.8F now for the month and probably +15F again today, tomorrow, and Wednesday.

so we are "due".  trying to stay positive.

hang in there, everyone.  while snow totals are similar to 2011-2012, this winter is quite different.  For one, there's a snowpack that's been around since early December.  Granted, it's an ugly, glacier resistant to even salt (until today), but it's still here in the lower Champlain valley.  That's remarkable.  The outstanding cold is another reason this is different.  For BTV, November was below normal, and December would have been but for that bizarre +15 on the 29th.  So two much colder months than in previous years.  Lastly, this year's weather pattern has been highly amplified, where previous years were pretty zonal and dominated by Pacific air.  Amplified patterns, in my opinion, are far more likely to be snow producers than zonal patterns.  Sure, that sometimes cuts off the upslope events, but that's bound to change if the amplification slides to the east and the lows that cut to our west from due south can slide up the coast.

It's been a good winter here. Not epic, but some fun events, good cold, and prolonged deep cover. You VT guys will catch up.

Who wants it at the end of winter though! I'd much rather have the snow the 1st half of winter giving way to an early spring rather than the other way around.

Archived