joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds about right for the BTV4, lol. At this point anything would be appreciated...even 2" to cosmetically clean up the landscape.

I have running water moving through my yard on TOP of the snowpack. It's creating a nice pond in the neighbors yard, haha.

Haha 52F here and breezy with the sounds of melting all over.

Well, thankfully it's all over.

Finnished up with 0.97" of rain, the first 0.10" or so being of the freezing sort.

We maintained several inches of snowcover with 5" at my stake.

Some light snow showers this morning giving us a token trace.

Let's hope we've exhausted our cutter quota for the winter.  I've had enough of those.

I’ll pass along a weather update from our site, as well as a few observations from the Champlain Valley, since I headed in yesterday evening for a dinner function.

Here at the house, not much has changed with respect to the snow and ice.  We did pick up 1.05” of rain, but as one might expect with the snowpack having 2.70” of liquid in it and temperatures only in the 30s F, it hardly budged.  It is down to 5” now from 6” before, so it was much like Burlington’s situation as PF mentioned.  It looks like this storm finally got all the ice out of the trees, and it did indeed finally clear all the ice off the back deck.  Unfortunately, the driveway remains basically unchanged and is still a sheet of ice.  There’s a great base in place for upcoming snow though, and there are a number of snow icons in our point forecast

There was quite the dramatic difference between the temperatures here at the house and those in Burlington yesterday evening.  At around 6:00 P.M., it was in the upper 30s F here, and when I got to Burlington it was in the low 50s F.  It was essentially the same when I left around 9:00 P.M., although the temperature actually rose as I headed into the mountains, and peaked along the western slopes in Jonesville, where I saw 57 F.  It was amazing to get back to the house and still be in the upper 30s F while Jonesville hit those temperatures, that’s ~20 F difference, and they’re not that many miles away.  A couple of hours after I got home, we did get a big gust of wind, and the temperature briefly rose into the 40s F before dropping back down.  That must have been some sort of warm surge pushing through.

Unlike the last event, it doesn’t look like this one was a net gain for the liquid in the snowpack though; it was just too saturated to take on much more water anyway.  The snowpack is looks much more malleable now than it used to be, so if I have the time and it’s not the headache that it was last time, maybe I’ll take a core before it hardens back up.

Been getting some decent periods of snow up here at the office today...photo from out the back door.  We've had some bursts of moderate snow (1/2 mile visibility) from time to time.  Its so windy though that accumulations are hard.  Best I can tell is about a half inch so far down on the lower mountain.  But its really blowing hard so its a moot point, really.  Just looks wintery out with the snow coming down steadily, even if its sideways some of the time.

Been getting some decent periods of snow up here at the office today...photo from out the back door. We've had some bursts of moderate snow (1/2 mile visibility) from time to time. Its so windy though that accumulations are hard. Best I can tell is about a half inch so far down on the lower mountain. But its really blowing hard so its a moot point, really. Just looks wintery out with the snow coming down steadily, even if its sideways some of the time.

snowing.JPG

every inch counts, to me at least

The snowpack is looks much more malleable now than it used to be, so if I have the time and it’s not the headache that it was last time, maybe I’ll take a core before it hardens back up.

Well, that was refreshingly easy!  I decided to check out the snowpack and see if it was going to be easy to core, and indeed it was because I had a core in just a few moments of work.  While there is still a hard layer atop the snowpack that takes some effort to get through, and some other hard stuff in there, the rest is like spring corn snow and you can just cut right down through it.  And now, the surrounding snowpack is much easier to dig into to get one’s hands down in there to hold the core into the cylinder.  Anyway, today’s analysis reveals 1.90” of liquid, so indeed it is down from the 2.70” that was in there before this storm.  The snowpack is about half the average depth for this date according to my records, but with almost 2” of liquid still in it, it’s probably much less deficient in that category.

Been getting some decent periods of snow up here at the office today...photo from out the back door.  We've had some bursts of moderate snow (1/2 mile visibility) from time to time.  Its so windy though that accumulations are hard.  Best I can tell is about a half inch so far down on the lower mountain.  But its really blowing hard so its a moot point, really.  Just looks wintery out with the snow coming down steadily, even if its sideways some of the time.

attachicon.gifsnowing.JPG

That’s nice to see PF – I’ve been amazed with the radar look that we’re only getting the occasional flurry down here at the house:

12JAN14A.gif

An occasional shower with flurries mixing in here in the CPV today. The glacier/snow has survived 4 weeks and counting as of today for the most part. People are still doing what they can to chip away with temps above freezing. Hopefully the upslope is going well in the Greens

There's more to NNE than mountains. I've been looking to explore other aspects of our region and was recently linked a number of coastal walks. One of these was the Prouts Neck Cliff Walk. I had heard of Prouts Neck, but couldn't identify it on a map. Google helped me out - it's right in Scarborough! It's about one mile in length ... two miles if you backtrack. For its entirety, it winds along the shore - over rocky cliffs and stone-covered beaches. It was 38F at 6:00 and I caught the sunrise. Definitely recommend this trail to anyone who visits the Portland area. :)

post-254-0-95796300-1389546845_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-25943100-1389546867_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-31783400-1389546888_thumb.jpg

An occasional shower with flurries mixing in here in the CPV today. The glacier/snow has survived 4 weeks and counting as of today for the most part. People are still doing what they can to chip away with temps above freezing. Hopefully the upslope is going well in the Greens

Doesn't look that great. Flow was all unblocked so western slopes probably stayed mostly dry with the exception of a few flurries/sprinkles. Mansfield/Stowe and along the spine and just east up to Jay Peak may have gotten 1-3", but I doubt much more than that. Looks like its winding down now too.

Wasn't a great set-up for it given the unblocked flow, marginal boundary layer, short-lived duration, and the drying out aloft.

Doesn't look that great. Flow was all unblocked so western slopes probably stayed mostly dry with the exception of a few flurries/sprinkles. Mansfield/Stowe and along the spine and just east up to Jay Peak may have gotten 1-3", but I doubt much more than that. Looks like its winding down now too.

Wasn't a great set-up for it given the unblocked flow, marginal boundary layer, short-lived duration, and the drying out aloft.

1:20pm (my last run for the day) had 0.8" at the 3,000ft snow board. Looks like it's about finished. Haven't checked the board down here at the base, but I'd estimate a half inch.

Due to reporting in whole numbers, at 4pm it will go down as a dusting at the base and 1" at the summit for the ski area. It's sad that this is almost noteworthy for the Spine of the Greens this January.

Here's the extent of snow cover along the western slopes (aka NOTHING):

sfbd47.jpg

And Waitsfield near Sugarbush:

2uikc3c.jpg

There's actually a little more snow cover in the Champlain Valley because of the ice encased glacier preserving it.

That's just sick.  I thought Waitsfield was on the east slope.  Is that incorrect?

Still have about 4" of packed ice/snow.  Just a very few bare patches here, mostly where paths were dug in the snow for access.  Overall, though, a sorry mid-January look here in the Montpelier area.  Where do I put in my order for some fresh snow cover?

Some light graupel/flurries moving in and out from time to time so far today.

That's just sick.  I thought Waitsfield was on the east slope.  Is that incorrect?

Still have about 4" of packed ice/snow.  Just a very few bare patches here, mostly where paths were dug in the snow for access.  Overall, though, a sorry mid-January look here in the Montpelier area.  Where do I put in my order for some fresh snow cover?

Some light graupel flurries moving in and out from time to time so far today.

No you're right, I only meant that western slope comment for the first picture. But both those webcams tell the story of a lot of the area. The one in Danby looks like a November day with no visible snow! The Champlain Valley actually has a local maximum of about 3" of dirty glacial ice because of the freezing rain as of late. It's useless though. I agree, give us 60F and incinerate any of this ice we have left and start anew.

Archived