joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is raining like the dickens out here in BTV.  Snowpack looks to be taking it like a champ, however.  This will be a solid setup for those who get inspired with a glacial snowpack by going tubing. 

it is raining like the dickens out here in BTV.  Snowpack looks to be taking it like a champ, however.  This will be a solid setup for those who get inspired glacial snowpack by going tubing. 

Big power outage here in Hanover. Whole campus & town shut down... National Grid map looks even more extensive. On phone atm.

And in between you two, the sun was just out here in Montpelier.

euro has had 50s into S NH for days.

Guess I wasn't paying much attention, just enjoying the cold and snow on the ground. Either way I was greeted with a blast of warm humid air when I stepped outside earlier and after the past few days it felt exceptionally warm. Fog was crazy on 93 south heading to MHT about an hour ago, couldn't see much more than a hundred feet in front of you with pouring rain

Sadly I don't expect much to happen with the passage of the front. At least according to most of the models. 

Same can't be said for the Tug Hill. Already its exploding on radar. Wow. 

It is a 4 hour drive from BTV to the Tug Hill area. I have given it some thought ;).

I am just not thinking my car is a good vehicle to be driving in 4-5" per hour rates :)

you could save gas and just wait a little while and drive up the Bolton access road for (a more paltry) 2-3"/hr when the upslope comes around soon enough- which it will.  :)

you could save gas and just wait a little while and drive up the Bolton access road for (a more paltry) 2-3"/hr when the upslope comes around soon enough- which it will.   :)

Very true, and I am considering just that, although not sure if that will start to crank before it gets dark. Bolton needs it. They just got brutalized and they are back down to 3 trails (mid-mountain only).

Very true, and I am considering just that, although not sure if that will start to crank before it gets dark. Bolton needs it. They just got brutalized and are back down to 3 trails.

Yeah, was at Bolton last week.  They seem to rely heavily on natural snowfall- they have the snowmaking system, but they don't seem to turn it on.  Thin cover was pretty prevalent.

Also noticed that they don't seem to mind leaving decent sized stumps and logs in some of the steeper trails under the lift (wonder why they didn't get the stumps flush with the ground- it's not that much more work(?)).  They've definitely seen less snow than the other N VT resorts this year- but I imagine they'll be ok by the end of the month- it would be pretty unusual to go that long with the same pattern.  I'm optimistic the switch will be flipped in the next week or so, and the Greens will start to produce as they always do in the end.

Yeah, was at Bolton last week.  They seem to rely heavily on natural snowfall- they have the snowmaking system, but they don't seem to turn it on.  Thin cover was pretty prevalent.

Also noticed that they don't seem to mind leaving decent sized stumps and logs in some of the steeper trails under the lift (wonder why they didn't get the stumps flush with the ground- it's not that much more work(?)).  They've definitely seen less snow than the other N VT resorts this year- but I imagine they'll be ok by the end of the month- it would be pretty unusual to go that long with the same pattern.  I'm optimistic the switch will be flipped in the next week or so, and the Greens will start to produce as they always do in the end.

with respect to leaving stumps, i'm speculating but there may be USFS issues and/or its erosion control.

I've been coming up for the last 8 years and january always seems to be challenging

For good reason. Aside from one somewhat interesting three hour period (copied below)

Mon 01/06 15Z 0.21 2053 88 88 6 0.12

nothing looks all that exciting upslope wise. Dry and cold. =/= upslope pow

Yeah I figured as much but some made mention of it. Looks like everyone should take a break from here for a week or so.

Last (I hope) pulse of serious RA now overhead in AUG, where the temp spent 6+ hr in the 45-50 range and is now beginning to slide.  No gauge outside, but I'd guess that well over 1" has poured down since 8 AM, and the formerly 18" snowpack now has large gray areas where puddles have saturated what's left.  Given the 0.75" I measured at 7 AM and the brighter echoes at home than in AUG, would not surprise me to find near 2" total for the storm, which will make a super mess in the woods, whether for loggers or sledders or X-C skiiers.  The freeze-up coming while lots of runoff remains in the game just makes things worse.  Looks like we do it again (but without the flash freeze) this weekend, with less precip, one hopes.

Last (I hope) pulse of serious RA now overhead in AUG, where the temp spent 6+ hr in the 45-50 range and is now beginning to slide.  No gauge outside, but I'd guess that well over 1" has poured down since 8 AM, and the formerly 18" snowpack now has large gray areas where puddles have saturated what's left.  Given the 0.75" I measured at 7 AM and the brighter echoes at home than in AUG, would not surprise me to find near 2" total for the storm, which will make a super mess in the woods, whether for loggers or sledders or X-C skiiers.  The freeze-up coming while lots of runoff remains in the game just makes things worse.  Looks like we do it again (but without the flash freeze) this weekend, with less precip, one hopes.

It was ugly

Haven't posted any photos in a while, so here are a few to ease the cutter--

The aforementioned ice skating trail on Lake Morey this past Saturday:

11806904254_958a21f1fd_z.jpg

People & dogs out having fun:

11806499645_83a98eac7c_z.jpg

The scene of yesterday's ski tour:

11806746103_da7bd07484_z.jpg

Aaaand, the driving conditions around the 'hood this morning (not me):

11807240106_e059b2f58d_z.jpg

Archived