joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty impressive. I've had 5 highs in the 10s this month. I had 5 highs in the 10s in all of my Decembers since moving here combined before this one (Dec 2006-Dec 2012).

I'm going to end up at 23.1 or 23.2 for the month depending on what the final max for the day is. That's a hair colder than my 23.4 in Dec 07. It's been a pretty nice stretch of deep December winter since after the 1st week of the month.

Commenting on dendrite's post from the closed thread:

This Dec has had 7 days with highs in the teens plus 2 in the singles, probably 3 including today, which would be one more sub-10 day than in the previous 15 Decembers here.  Avg temp 1-30 is 16.3, which beats my oprevious cold Dec, 2007, by 1.2F, and today will probably drop the mean to 15.7 or 8.  Still a long way to go to catch 02-03 as the coldest winter, though we're well ahead of that (suppressed) year for snow so far.

My avg temp for Dec is 22.9f not including today. Based on my location compared to tamaracks this seems too low. Currently using weather display.

My daily temp avg is 15.5F and i have weather display as well

Ok but tamarack is farther north and I'm assuming daily hI and lows are lower then our area. I'd question the means between our two locations as we're not that far apart

Ok but tamarack is farther north and I'm assuming daily hI and lows are lower then our area. I'd question the means between our two locations as we're not that far apart

Should be although, There was quite a few times this month i was as low as IZG or close to it, I was -7.2F here last night, Looking at your temp and mine right now, I am already -3 and dropping and it looks like your still above

Should be although, There was quite a few times this month i was as low as IZG or close to it, I was -7.2F here last night, Looking at your temp and mine right now, I am already -2 and it looks like your still above

maybe tam is on a lava rock like me

A couple of small systems have been affecting the area today, so I’ll make some updates on the snowfall this far.  The first was the short wave that brought the very light snow this morning, as described in the first part of this morning’s discussion:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 1022 AM EST TUESDAY...SOME INTERESING WEATHER POSSIBILITIES

LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS NEW YEARS EVE DESPITE A RATHER

BENIGN SYNOPTIC WEATHER SYSTEM MOVING ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY.

FIRST SHORT WAVE THAT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION SOME VERY LIGHT SNOW

WITH WARM ADVECTION THROUGH ABOUT MID AFTERNOON WITH JUST A

DUSTING OF ACCUMULATION.

That one delivered a tenth of an inch through 2:00 P.M., and the flakes were very tiny, much in line with that snow we often get when we’re under that arctic style air.

The second system is the one bringing the current snow:

SECOND A MESOSCALE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WITH A INTERESING T-BONE

TYPE REFLECTIVITY STRUCTURE MOVED ACROSS THE BUF/IAG AREA THIS

MORNING WITH UP TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW IN A HOUR. GRANTED IT IS

PARTIALLY FUELED BY EXISTING LAKE BANDS BUT NICE PRESSURE

FALLS/RISES NOTED AHEAD AND BEHIND THE SYSTEM ALONG WITH A WIND SHIFT.

This one has brought a half an inch so far as of 8:00 P.M., and it looks like that latest burst is just winding down, but we’ll have to see if any additional moisture builds upstream:

31DEC13A.gif

Happy New Year, all !

klw--love the Linus & Charlie Brown.  ;)

Beautiful start to the year here this morning:  1" of fresh snow, 13" otg, trees still covered from the paste bomb, 6F and crystal clear.

Last day of vacation for me and I'll be hitting our lofty slopes here in Corinth.  Yep, we have our own T-bar:

http://www.northeastslopes.org/

Looks like 2-4" is about right for this area for the Thu/Fri event. The bigger one could be next week, but unfortunately there may be ptype problems.

Does BTV have estimated totals out for the Thurs/Fri event? I wouldn't be surprised if an overrunning band ends up further north and we could cash in on the higher end or even a bit higher than your range. But also, wouldn't be surprised if we get a dusting...definitely a lattitudinal event.

Does BTV have estimated totals out for the Thurs/Fri event? I wouldn't be surprised if an overrunning band ends up further north and we could cash in on the higher end or even a bit higher than your range. But also, wouldn't be surprised if we get a dusting...definitely a lattitudinal event.

Yes BTV's totals are through 1pm Friday.

Well, something came through last night while I wasn’t looking, because the snow depth around midnight was still 0.5 when I headed off to bed, and I figured that was it.  This morning there’s 1.7” out there though – looks like it came through in the wee hours based on the longer radar loops.

Not hardly, pardner. 

Perfect radiating conditions overnight, was -17 at 9 last night and bottomed out at -29, colder even than Aroostook, which I find astonishing - maybe they kept a breeze.  HIE/BML must've had some cloud, as they were either side of zero.

Yesterday's 5/-17 (that max is my coldest for 16 DEC's) made my month avg 24.0/7.2/15.6, nearly 2F below the previous coldest in 2007.  Only 3 days got above 32, topped by 39 on 12/3, and 11 days were zero or below, with -26 on 12/17.  Precip was 3.49, about 1" below my avg, and snowfall 30.9", about 11" above avg.

The year finished with 48.66" precip, 1st year since 2004 that I didn't reach 50, though only 1.25" below my annual avg.

Not hardly, pardner. 

Perfect radiating conditions overnight, was -17 at 9 last night and bottomed out at -29, colder even than Aroostook, which I find astonishing - maybe they kept a breeze.  HIE/BML must've had some cloud, as they were either side of zero.

Yesterday's 5/-17 (that max is my coldest for 16 DEC's) made my month avg 24.0/7.2/15.6, nearly 2F below the previous coldest in 2007.  Only 3 days got above 32, topped by 39 on 12/3, and 11 days were zero or below, with -26 on 12/17.  Precip was 3.49, about 1" below my avg, and snowfall 30.9", about 11" above avg.

The year finished with 48.66" precip, 1st year since 2004 that I didn't reach 50, though only 1.25" below my annual avg.

Weird pocket of very cold temps in your area this morning. When I left Waterville and hit the highway the car thermometer bottom out at -21.

Not hardly, pardner. 

I misread your avg high as your mean for both lows and daily hi temps. Never got below zero last night

This next snowfall is going to be tough on the trees in my area.  Most trees are clear in open and elevated areas but in the protected low places the trees are carrying a heavy snow load from the last storm.This will be a dry and light snow with some wind but 8" of powder on top of what is there is going to cause some problems.  Here is the bottom of my road today.

Wow, some impressive cold after this storm.  I don't think I have ever had a day with a max below zero.  Perhaps if Friday is cloudy enough it could happen??

Happy New Year to my CNE/NNE peeps!

Gene

post-268-0-97187400-1388605026_thumb.jpg

The latest advisory and snowfall projections maps from BTV are below - Winter Storm Watches and highest projected accumulations are down toward the southern part of the state, with generally 1-4” in the northern part of the state, and 2-4” in our area around Waterbury:

01JAN14A.jpg

01JAN14B.jpg

I definitely wish it was going to be more robust here but oh well. I can't get excited for next week because it is a cutter and we may see some rain here. Ahh well here is to hoping for a big one sometime in the next couple of months up here.  The cold surrounding is definitely the story.

This next snowfall is going to be tough on the trees in my area. Most trees are clear in open and elevated areas but in the protected low places the trees are carrying a heavy snow load from the last storm.This will be a dry and light snow with some wind but 8" of powder on top of what is there is going to cause some problems. Here is the bottom of my road today.

Wow, some impressive cold after this storm. I don't think I have ever had a day with a max below zero. Perhaps if Friday is cloudy enough it could happen??

Happy New Year to my CNE/NNE peeps!

Gene

I just posed this question in the storm thread - much the same situation here with plenty of cement in the trees. I'd have to think 8+ would have an impact on possible power outages.

And, yes - happy belated new year to the NNE peeps :)

Archived