• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

Ribbons of man made snow on the trails with good mountainbiking in the woods ;). The total snow accumulation for the entire 240 hour run is 3-6" in northern VT and 1-4" south verbatim and similar in NH except for the far north which does a little better.  In ME 4-6" south and 6-10" north run total accumulation. Of course these are pretty coarse maps.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me either, hard to get 6 feet of snow in any month no matter what, still waiting on the stats 

Trust me, its not that hard to get 6 feet of snow in a month. 

It can even do it in a week under the right upslope set-ups.  Here's from J.Spin's website on one such storm cycle:

"As I suspected, some of the mountains have now hit six feet of accumulation from the last six days of snow.  My daily email from Bolton Valley this morning had this to say:

Six Feet of Snow.

“Looking back at the log we keep of snowfall totals for the year I can hardly believe the last six days. It seems as if I am dreaming. We have measured snow of a foot or more on four of the last six days. We have a six day total of six feet. That's taller than most people. That's two yards of snow.”

Me either, hard to get 6 feet of snow in any month no matter what, still waiting on the stats 

Since I'm home, I was searching my Gmail account for some snowfall documents (that feature is pretty cool, lol) and found I have at least the last 6 years.  I swear the data back to 1997-1998 had an average of 76-78" in January (haha)... but the last 6 years was 68" as last year's 39" really cut into that.  This year will cut it back even more, lol.

I know you want 30 years of records, but I've been working with back 1997.  But look through even these years which include some of the lowest snowfall years (like 2009-2010 and 2011-2012) we've had in the past 16 years.  And there are a good deal of months over 6 feet ;)

I just ran the averages on these 6 years and our three big snow months are 72" December, 68" January, 78" February. 

Now here are the seasonal totals back to 1997-1998... 09-10 and 11-12 are the two lowest.  When I get to work and get the previous 10 years of monthly data prior to 2007-2008, I'm sure you'll see those monthly averages go up.

Since I'm home, I was searching my Gmail account for some snowfall documents (that feature is pretty cool, lol) and found I have at least the last 6 years.  I swear the data back to 1997-1998 had an average of 76-78" in January... but the last 6 years was 68" as last year's 39" really cut into that.  This year will cut it back even more, lol.

attachicon.gifsnowfall_monthly.jpg

I know you want 30 years of records, but I've been working with back 1997.  But look through even these years which include some of the lowest snowfall years (like 2009-2010 and 2011-2012) we've had in the past 16 years.  And there are a good deal of months over 6 feet ;)

I just ran the averages on these 6 years and our three big snow months are 72" December, 68" January, 78" February.

Now here are the seasonal totals back to 1997-1998... 09-10 and 11-12 are the two lowest.

attachicon.gifsnowfall.jpg

Thanks, got to figure over 30 years probably about 65 ish, nice stats thanks again

Totally my fault, working on talking my wife into considering Burlington area for retirement a few decades hence, and have a long weekend planned with her for mid-February in Burlington so she can see Vermont in winter with all the snow and what not. Given that I am a huge snow-lover and a certified snow jinx, this is all very believeable and par for my course. Rooting like hell for this to break and white to reign down for you all soon.

Trust me, its not that hard to get 6 feet of snow in a month. 

It can even do it in a week under the right upslope set-ups.  Here's from J.Spin's website on one such storm cycle:

"As I suspected, some of the mountains have now hit six feet of accumulation from the last six days of snow.  My daily email from Bolton Valley this morning had this to say:

Six Feet of Snow.

“Looking back at the log we keep of snowfall totals for the year I can hardly believe the last six days. It seems as if I am dreaming. We have measured snow of a foot or more on four of the last six days. We have a six day total of six feet. That's taller than most people. That's two yards of snow.”

6/36 months you provided in a six year period qualified for your statement 16%, of course with a limited database hard to draw conclusions, that being at 3K too on the lee side of a Mountain. Yes its hard to get 6 feet of snow in a month 

6/36 months you provided in a six year period qualified for your statement 16%, of course with a limited database hard to draw conclusions, that being at 3K too on the lee side of a Mountain. Yes its hard to get 6 feet of snow in a month

Well they aren't gonna do it in novie or April . But sounds like they do it about once a year or more (since pf has kept records)

Totally my fault, working on talking my wife into considering Burlington area for retirement a few decades hence, and have a long weekend planned with her for mid-February in Burlington so she can see Vermont in winter with all the snow and what not. Given that I am a huge snow-lover and a certified snow jinx, this is all very believeable and par for my course. Rooting like hell for this to break and white to reign down for you all soon.

From 1968-1980 I lived very close to your location (Towson/Timonium/Cockeysville), Zen.  I can promise you, as bad as December and January have been this year, you would find even this year a winter wonderland relative to your current climate ;).

Thanks, got to figure over 30 years probably about 65 ish, nice stats thanks again

Yeah to be honest I don't disagree. I know the COOP was about 10% higher since 2000, and BTV WFO was 10-20% higher.

I bet the annual average may be closer to 280" or something, but in general I expect the three months of Dec/Jan/Feb where we usually get our most frequent snowfalls (nickle and dime mixed with bigger stuff) to fall in the 60s and 70s for monthly totals. Great months are 80-110", poor months 30-60" type deal.

Either way, our bet was regarding getting anywhere near average so I don't care if it's the COOP you use or whatever data. We are usually proportional, so if my spot is well below, so is the COOP, even though the values may differ. If we use the COOP average of like 40", then we have to use their measurements, and that can be frustrating if we get a 16" upslope event and the COOP calls it 6.5" haha.

Well it's hard for inhabited areas, yes that's true. Haha. I mean in Dec/Jan//Feb our prime snow months it's not *that* hard to do in the higher elevations of the Greens.

Sugarbush does it (heck they got 110" last December), Bolton does it, Smuggs does it, Jay does it. If we have a nice winter month, totals at the summit of these ski areas will be 72"+.

Hopefully J.Spin or ADK may add some thoughts.

Yeah to be honest I don't disagree. I know the COOP was about 10% higher since 2000, and BTV WFO was 10-20% higher.

I bet the annual average may be closer to 280" or something, but in general I expect the three months of Dec/Jan/Feb where we usually get our most frequent snowfalls (nickle and dime mixed with bigger stuff) to fall in the 60s and 70s for monthly totals. Great months are 80-110", poor months 30-60" type deal.

Either way, our bet was regarding getting anywhere near average so I don't care if it's the COOP you use or whatever data. We are usually proportional, so if my spot is well below, so is the COOP, even though the values may differ. If we use the COOP average of like 40", then we have to use their measurements, and that can be frustrating if we get a 16" upslope event and the COOP calls it 6.5" haha.

I never expected to "win" but yea not seeing 6 feet, but then again who can see until the end of the month, not me , ya never say never, like you pointed out you have had 6 feet in a week.

From BTV:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 320 PM EST TUESDAY...FOR THE EXTENDED PERIOD...BROAD UPPER
LOW SETS UP OVER MUCH OF EASTERN CANADA DURING THIS TIME...WITH A
SERIES OF SYSTEMS EXPECTED TO PIVOT AROUND THIS LOW AND MOVE
ACROSS THE NORTHEAST REGION. DIGGING TROUGH FROM THIS LOW SETS UP
TO OUR WEST FOR FRIDAY AND LIFTS THRU THE AREA FRIDAY NIGHT THRU
SATURDAY. MDLS HAVE SHOWN A COASTL LOW DEVELOPING AS TROUGH
REACHES THE EAST COAST...WITH LATEST TREND BEING AWAY FROM/JUST
EAST OF THE 40/70 BENCHMARK WITH BULK OF EXPECTED QPF. SOME
TIMING ISSUES WITH LATEST GFS/ECMWF...SO WILL BE STAYING NEAR
CHANCE POPS FOR LIGHT PRECIP. SAT NGT INTO EARLY SUNDAY HAS WK
RIDGING OVER AREA FOLLOWED BY A CLIPPER SYSTEM MVG AROUND UPPER
LOW. EXPECTING LIGHT POPS FOR -SW ON NW FLOW OVERNGT SATURDAY W/
SOME CLRING BFR CLIPPER AFFECTS CWA THRU MUCH OF
SUNDAY...TAPERING OFF THRU THE OVERNGT HRS SUNDAY AS SYSTEM GOES
OUT TO SEA...TO BE FOLLOWED BY HIGH PRESSURE FOR NEXT MONDAY AND
ANOTHER CLIPPER SYSTEM FOR NEXT TUESDAY. AS WITH THE NW FLOW SAT
NGT...FLOW ON BACKSIDE OF EXITING CLIPPER SUNDAY WILL PROVIDE
SOME UPSLOPE -SW WITH BEST CHANCES OVER HIR TRRN..WHERE LIGHT
ACCUM POSSIBLE. WITH MODEL TEMPS TRENDING COLDER TO NEAR NORMAL
BY THE END OF THE EXTENDED PERIOD...TEMPS FOR CLIPPER
PASSAGES...AS WELL AS TROUGH TO START THE PERIOD...WILL AFFORD
ALL -SW FOR AREA...W/ BEST CHANCES IN HIR ELEV. TEMPS IN THE
EXTENDED...LOOKING FOR THE PASSAGE OF EACH SUBSEQUENT SYSTEM IN
THE EXTENDED TO DRAG DOWN ENOUGH COLDER CANADIAN AIR TO BRING THE
CWA BACK TO MORE NORMAL CONDITIONS FOR THE CURRENT PAST DAYS
WARMTH. HIGHS TO START WILL BE IN THE 30S...TRENDING TO THE 20S
BY THE BEGINNING OF NEXT WEEK. OVERNGT LOWS WILL START OFF IN THE
20S BUT END UP IN THE TEENS/SINGLE NUMBERS...FURTHER AIDED BY
TEMP CLRING SKIES WITH SFC RIDGING SAT NGT/SUN NGT.

i should take a core from it when it freezes up. Maybe I can get some 3:1 sleet ratios.

Better take it before it freezes, unless you have a heavy gauge steel implement that you can safely drive thru the frozen "stuff".

Doppler estimate puts MBY at almost 1" RA, with some 45 dbz lumps passing thru. Maybe this one pops the ice on the Sandy, so the road in front of Farmington Mickey D's gets a washing.

Archived