joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part 2

klw

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great recapitulation! This winter has the NNE crowd bummin because it's been the worst of everything. in 2011-2012, it didn't snow much but the CPV was also a lot warmer. I remember running on unfrozen dirt trails in january and my friends mountain biking in essex around the same time.  Can't do that this winter. Everything is covered by 2-6 inches of glaze ice. 

Also 2006-2007 was simply devoid of action. Not this winter. There have been big storms. They have just been rain storms. It is easier to swallow no snow when that means no weather.  Not so much when no snow means rain. 

As for pattern changes....I'll believe it when forecasted dustings turn out to be 3-5" up top.  Right now stuff is going the other way. 

your post made me chuckle adk.

I was coming to the same conclusions this weekend trying to walk our trails with the dog, but it was more like, this snow isn't firm enough to walk on, if I post hole by surprise one more time there is a good chance I blow my knee out, I'll stop here like a deer in the head lights, stuck, can't really go forward and going back is goin to suck, so I'll finish this beer in hand.  Go to put the beer down to takke a couple pics and now the snow is to hard, won't let the beer can in, to soft to walk, to firm to hold a beer, about as worthless as worthless can get :)

could smell mud this morning and the ice pack in the driveway should be toast today, guess thats good news.

Me too eyewall.  Well I dunno...I did get this in November:

Thanksgiving-FIS-7-of-7.jpg

Ahhh November... back when it used to snow.

I distinctly remember that first day after the big upslope event when ski conditions were damn near perfect around November 10-13th...people skiing the upper headwalls of Goat/Starr/National in perfect powder conditions (stuff that hasn't been skiable since then)... and remarking with one of the NWS mets I was with, that this better not be the best snow of the season.  We both laughed and were like, haha, that's a stupid thought, this is the northern Greens where even crappy patterns snow.  Well we got too cocky it seems.

I see your high spirits are starting to wear thin. :snowing:

To be honest, I probably haven't lost faith like this in a while in these mountains.  I see ADK is getting there, too...and I've had similar thoughts like his.  Where you just don't forecast snow until you start to see it again.  Clippers that in past winters were locked for 3-6" are producing dying flurries...and then it rains.

Oh the rain.  4th or 5th rainfall in the past like three weeks?  First time that's happened since I've been up here, especially in January.  ADK hit in on the head when he said the difference in years like 2006-2007 up to this point is that it just never even really had the chance to snow.  That's easier to swallow than seeing -20F like 3 times this season and then yet it rains when the pattern gets active.

Oh well, I'm off today, just watching it rain steadily and watching the multi-colored ponds around the yard fill up with more water.

To be honest, I probably haven't lost faith like this in a while in these mountains.  I see ADK is getting there, too...and I've had similar thoughts like his.  Where you just don't forecast snow until you start to see it again.  Clippers that in past winters were locked for 3-6" are producing dying flurries...and then it rains.

Oh the rain.  4th or 5th rainfall in the past like three weeks?  First time that's happened since I've been up here, especially in January.  ADK hit in on the head when he said the difference in years like 2006-2007 up to this point is that it just never even really had the chance to snow.  That's easier to swallow than seeing -20F like 3 times this season and then yet it rains when the pattern gets active.

Oh well, I'm off today, just watching it rain steadily and watching the multi-colored ponds around the yard fill up with more water.

attachicon.gifrain.jpg

By the end of next week, That's a mother nature made rink

At this point, I pretty much don't care if all the snow is gone. I'm quite surprised we've salvaged as much as we have with all the rani and mild weather. For snowmobiling, it'll take awhile to recover. Once the base is gone, we start over. I really hope we get something white on saturday. We've lost 2 wknds of local riding assuming this wknd is unrideable. Even with some storms, it'll take 1-2 wknds to get things back to where they were. Lakes/ponds are getting soft. Heck, frost might be starting to come out of the ground judging by the roads around here. All in all, we'll have lost nearly 1 month of riding. Lots of hurting businesses right now.

By the end of next week, That's a mother nature made rink

There's a lot of that around here, haha. 

There's one area just down the road where they do the Farmer's Markets in the summer and its a small pond the size of a couple tennis courts and like a foot or two deep.  Should skate nicely when the cold returns.  Maybe a pick-up hockey game on the soccer fields?

Only another 5 or so days of stink and then it gets better, sadly too late for MLK weekend.

Of course, 3-4 days ago it looked like only 5 more days of stink. The goalposts keep moving backward.

Looks like this rainer may overperform. (Why am I not surprised?) I'll finish the event with well over 3" RA in Jan compared to 2.1" snow. Last time I remember multiple significant rain events in Jan was 1996, and there was a bit more snow that season.

Archived