e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I didn't see it as being that bad of a run.  The plus side is that there is pretty strong hp over the plains.  Lp moves to near CLT and then redevelops off V Beach.  A very cold rain for CAD regions, but it wouldn't take a tremendous amount to result in some ice/snow.  If this is more of a miller A, there will be very little ice with a rain/snow line running sw to ne.  If miller b, than the cad regions just east of the mountains could get ice (probably to rain) while mountains go rain to eventually snow. Very interesting set up with lots on the table for now. 

TW

I don't know if anyone has mentioned them but FWIW the 12z Euro ensembles are bullish with big dog type snows, which has increased the mean. I use RDU as it's central to most and is a good one-stop location to compare whether it's coastal or miller B.

12z OP for RDU = 0.5" or so

12z Ensembles for RDU = 2.4"

6/50 have 9"+, one member has 24" or so :lmao:  Honestly I've never seen an individual member with that much snow.

comes out to about 29/51 members including control run with snow.

well Jason Boyer on 13 news says no snowstorm any time soon.  kinda thought with the right track with the LP out of the gulf it would drag the cold air down from the northeast.  most models are  saying a great track, so what gives?  I know we're still 5 days out but the models should start catching on anytime and if your on the northwest side of the storm I always thought you were sitting pretty.

well Jason Boyer on 13 news says no snowstorm any time soon.  kinda thought with the right track with the LP out of the gulf it would drag the cold air down from the northeast.  most models are  saying a great track, so what gives?

If you start listening to Jason Boyer I feel sorry for you.... The track on the Euro and ensembles screams WNC mountain and foothills snowstorm to me, if the low tracks that perfectly it almost always finds a way to snow in WNC..especially higher elevations

I don't know if anyone has mentioned them but FWIW the 12z Euro ensembles are bullish with big dog type snows, which has increased the mean. I use RDU as it's central to most and is a good one-stop location to compare whether it's coastal or miller B.

12z OP for RDU = 0.5" or so

12z Ensembles for RDU = 2.4"

6/50 have 9"+, one member has 24" or so :lmao:  Honestly I've never seen an individual member with that much snow.

comes out to about 29/51 members including control run with snow.

Thanks for the info Jon...Sounds encouraging.

If you start listening to Jason Boyer I feel sorry for you.... The track on the Euro and ensembles screams WNC mountain and foothills snowstorm to me, if the low tracks that perfectly it almost always finds a way to snow in WNC..especially higher elevations

I agree, the only thing that bothers me right now is the cold air.  I think for 10 days we had plenty and now we're having to beg for just enough  for this storm to mix with.  Still thought they're would be plenty cold just north of us with any decent HP at all. Plus now that the Euro is on board for the track aren't  pretty much all the models agreeing on the track now.  I guess the NWS will remain conservative until the last minute.    :snowing:

I think today it's trended a bit more toward a Miller A type scenerio, so that's good, along with a pretty good ensemble track too, so that's good.  However it still does not look cold enough at this point.  Need to see better confluence to our NE.  Not sure it's going to get there or not. 

Looks like the 18z ensembles take the low from sw Georgia at 132 to myrtle beach/Wilmington are at 144.

On a normal year, that would put a rain/snow line somewhere through the middle of the piedmont.  Hopefully we'll have some colder air showing up soon.  Just a few degrees would make a big difference.

TW

I think Matt East had the post of the day today. If that energy is there around the Midwest/Lakes, even if our storm takes a decent track, you can forget it. Game over. It's a simple as that. It'll screw up confluence, block high pressure and all but eliminate any CAA into the storm.

There has been a lot of energy up there this year, as the flow has been very active, so that is a real concern. My worry about the ensembles is with their lower resolution, they might have more of a tendency to miss that critical element of the equation. Someone let me know if that's not a legitimate concern. Either way, that energy needs to do one of three things:

1) Not be there

2) Move through faster, with no interaction with our system, and get out of the way

3) Interact with/phase with our system farther east (big dog)

If I was going to rank my concerns, it would be:

1) The storm track (always)

2) That energy in the northern stream (I have a hunch that this is going to end up being what screws us over)

It all comes down to perfect timing...as usual. But even as flawed as the pattern is, it's still our best shot at a big one this year. Fingers crossed....

another well respected weather man i was reading his thoughts now thinks it will be a rain event for us in the Carolinas this weekend. we just can't seem to buy a good old fashioned snowstorm!!!! got the have the storm track to the south of us and will be lacking in cold air.....

Yea and he nailed the last one and we all trust him. Doesn't sound good

Archived