• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

Doesn't look to bad for the Mnts. Looks like a good one for most of the MA but, wow it explodes & just crushes the NE. HR 132 1009 L just SE of Charlotte. HR 153 967 L E of Cape Cod. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes you are. Just looking at the 850mb map with precip the NC mtns do look to get hit pretty good but that's without looking at surface temps or at the entire column. Also looks like some upslope for the mtns as the storm blows up going up the coast.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF plumes are getting interesting once again. Franklin mentioned the SREF mean last night. Here are the plumes for KHKY. Thursday night into Friday morning needs to be monitored:

Calculus what kind of threat are we looking at here? I've been so wrapped up with this weekends storm I keep seeing little tidbits on this Thurs night Fri morning threat? Are any of the global models concurring with the SREF?

The LR looks maybe a bit better than it did the last few days.  The trend is in the right direction at least.  I don't see any real winter storm pattern setting up anytime soon, but at least with Canada cold and a few elements trying to get in place, we won't be totally out of the game.  The 0z and 6z 324 hr GFS and the CPC index charts are below:

post-987-0-89944900-1391523153_thumb.gif

post-987-0-81801200-1391523161_thumb.gif

Calculus what kind of threat are we looking at here? I've been so wrapped up with this weekends storm I keep seeing little tidbits on this Thurs night Fri morning threat? Are any of the global models concurring with the SREF?

The threat appears to be better the further south that you are.  I don't think VA will see much out of this.  I really doubt whether I will too, though.  A few of yesterday's NAM runs had the 0 C 850 mb line hugging the NC/SC border with a little bit of light precip edging up that way.  Subsequent runs of the NAM seem to have shifted the axis of precip further south.

Here is the 00Z NAM valid at 84 Hours:

loHvTpw.gif

Here is the 06Z NAM valid at 81 Hours:

fPE2LLy.gif

The 12Z NAM is running as we type.  We'll see what she says.

SREF plumes are getting interesting once again.  Franklin mentioned the SREF mean last night.  Here are the plumes for KHKY.  Thursday night into Friday morning needs to be monitored:

SREF plumes are getting interesting once again. Franklin mentioned the SREF mean last night. Here are the plumes for KHKY. Thursday night into Friday morning needs to be monitored:

Friday does look interesting really. Lastest run of SREF has backed off with the extreme runs. But plumes have been showing a .25-.5"

Really two things that seem uncertain to me is how far south does the front go and how much over running assoicated with it. Another thing is how much embedded 500mb vorticity comes out. Nam shows better vorticity north of the front while gfs not so much.

You can see the reflection of interaction by looking at the rh charts. GFS is also further south with the front leading to less interaction with the embedded vorticity in the jet stream.

Nam has the front further north.

Nam

nam_namer_072_700_rh_ht.gifGFS

gfs_namer_072_700_rh_ht.gif

I have a hunch  over the last few runs that the progression of the front is probably pushed too far south. Which we could see the models  trend wetter and a N/W trend eventually. Depending on how much embedded energy comes to interact with the  front.

I think Friday the potential still on the table for areas of light snow over parts of TN/NC/SC/VA

Friday does look interesting really. Lastest run of SREF has backed off with the extreme runs. But plumes have been showing a .25-.5"

Really two things that seem uncertain to me is how far south does the front go and how much over running assoicated with it. Another thing is how much embedded 500mb vorticity comes out. Nam shows better vorticity north of the front while gfs not so much.

You can see the reflection of interaction by looking at the rh charts. GFS is also further south with the front leading to less interaction with the embedded vorticity in the jet stream.

Nam has the front further north.

I have a hunch  over the last few runs that the progression of the front is probably pushed too far south. Which we could see the models  trend wetter and a N/W trend eventually. Depending on how much embedded energy comes to interact with the  front.

I think Friday the potential still on the table for areas of light snow over parts of TN/NC/SC/VA

The recent trend has certainly been drier, with the front making it farther south. Any northward movement would allow the precipitation to be farther north but would also risk the marginal cold air not being cold enough. This one is tight rope.

The recent trend has certainly been drier, with the front making it farther south. Any northward movement would allow the precipitation to be farther north but would also risk the marginal cold air not being cold enough. This one is tight rope.

Yeah it is a double edge sword but shall be interesting watch the trends over the next 48-60 hours.

Only out to 78 but it looks like this is going to again be a different solution from the GFS over the past two runs. It's digging that energy into TX more and being faster with it. As a by product it isn't phasing as much with the energy in the NW like 00z and 6z had.

GFS has this energy almost in MN at 108, euro has it in north TX. Either the GFS is really good or really bad.

Don't have the ability to look at the GFS on my phone, so I'm confused. How can both of these statements be true? Is the energy in Tx or MN or are we talking about 2 separate pieces of energy?

Don't have the ability to look at the GFS on my phone, so I'm confused. How can both of these statements be true? Is the energy in Tx or MN or are we talking about 2 separate pieces of energy?

Burger was talking about the smaller Fri/Sat system, I was talking about the bigger potential.

Their both true because we're talking about different pieces. On previous runs that energy I was speaking of in TX was helping pull down the energy in the NW by phasing it. The Euro does something completely different by breaking off from the northern branch and letting the (later) energy dig and move east. The piece I was referring to on the GFS really has nothing to do with the Euro solution. 

I mean moisture and 850s look good for my area on hr 129 and 132 but I just don't buy anything any model is spitting out right now the runs are whack. Between those two hours listed above VA has about a 1/2" qpf no idea what upstairs looks like but I guess it's a start. Not holding my breath that's for sure

Archived