e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter 2013-14 Pattern Discussion II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro never really closes it off so the confluence is never well established, and thus the HP is weak... cold air lacking. A bit farther south than the 0z.

Still a big storm for the MA and NE.  Almost there.. and I think we stand a good chance at getting there given the seasonal pattern.  Big phasing events are not happening this winter with the lack of Atlantic blocking to slow down the wave train and allow such a thing to occur.

Again the Euro looked awfully close to me like it's trying to form a cutoff. This is an interesting trend and would fall in line with what Wow and Robert have been saying earlier. I'm very interested in what the Euro and CMC look like tonight. 

The good thing is it's a step in the right direction as opposed to the other way around.

The good thing is it's a step in the right direction as opposed to the other way around.

Don't misquote me. I think it's interesting. Models have gone the wrong direction today but who knows what tomorrow holds. Personally I'm not too enthusiastic about this storm, if something does happen I feel like it will be ice. Give me 70 and sunny over ice please. 

Sounds like it hammered DC and was a Miller A (just too far inland for us)?

Not sure if it was a miller A or a hybrid, whatever it was, it was better than the 0z run.  0z had the SLP over NC MTN's, the 12z has it over central GA. 

Yes, it hits MA/NE very hard.  

Sounds like it hammered DC and was a Miller A (just too far inland for us)?

Yes, it's mostly a Miller A style track... it runs inland thru central GA/SC before jumping off short near DelMarVa.

Had this cutoff completely to prevent further phasing of polar energy, this would've been a pure miller A with stout HP centered overhead.  

It did look like it re-formed, but it did look miller A type track too, why I thought it was a hybrid

Hence the "mostly"  ;)

Yeah it was a bit "jumpy" with the low center but it did not really go negative with the trough axis to force a Miller B.

Still time to trend south or the high to trend stonger? Or if the low tracks further south, it won't matter if the cold is not there?

If the trough cuts off, the surface low will track farther south as it won't have the "pull" of polar energy dropping into the trough base.  Also, confluence over the NE will strengthen  with the absence of a long wave trough.  Essentially we wants the polar jet to have less influence with this storm.. as least until it reaches us!

Per Robert on Twitter:

Still possible cutoff holds closed through its track thru Tex, big question on track after Texas region. Snow north and west side of track

Also said this:

European model now following idea of GFS.Major storm taking s. track, up east Coast next weekend. Big Ticket item. No rain/snow line yet

The lack of cold air penetration is concerning to me.  I know if this and if that then maybe the cold air will be drawn down, but that's always a sketchy recipe for a winter storm to me.  When you're relying on what the southern stream does to dictate how strong a high from the north gets, you're going to be on the outside looking in more times than not.  BUT, beggars can't be choosers in this pattern either, so we'll have to take what we can get.

The lack of cold air penetration is concerning to me.  I know if this and if that then maybe the cold air will be drawn down, but that's always a sketchy recipe for a winter storm to me.  When you're relying on what the southern stream does to dictate how strong a high from the north gets, you're going to be on the outside looking in more times than not.  BUT, beggars can't be choosers in this pattern either, so we'll have to take what we can get.

I agree Cold Rain...The lack of cold is concerning.  The trends haven't been good today imo.

0Z Euro run had the low tracking the Apps, it now has it in Central Georgia.  Big shift for one run and probably not done shifting yet.

I don't live in GA or the mountains, but I would think a miller A tracking into the southern apps would have to go through central GA.  What am I missing. 

tw

The only real difference between today's 12z Euro and the big 0z Miller A GFS is the piece of energy in the Midwest. Notice how similar the handling of the southern piece (TX) of energy is. On the 12z Euro, the Midwest energy keeps interacting with the southern energy as it moves eastward and draws it north a bit.

More importantly, due to the presence of that feature, there is little to no confluence over the Northeast, thus no big CAD high. So it looks like that Midwest energy is the biggest 'problem' for winter weather fans.

Below is the 12z Euro and the 0z GFS....

post-390-0-81669700-1391456543_thumb.png

post-390-0-37661800-1391456561_thumb.png

Also, regarding the 12z GFS..... looking through the vorticity fields, it just looks plain weird with how it handled the southern energy. I wouldn't trust that one solution....something just looks off about it to me. 

I agree Cold Rain...The lack of cold is concerning.  The trends haven't been good today imo.

Be of good cheer :)  The big two have been very helpful in giving what people want from run to run.  If you want warm, it shows warm...then the cold lovers get mad, so the next run they show cold.  I personally want the low to track across Fla.  so it is my belief that come tonght late, or tomorrow, one of them will give me what I want, lol.  The one thing neither is doing, particularly well, is showing what will actually happen, lol.  But this is a weekend storm, and it's far, far away.  I expect I'll get what I want, then it will be taken away, then it'll come back, only to leave.  It'll be down to who has the ball last :)  Climo says it will be cold in winter, so I'm going with that.  And it's been wet since March, so I'm going with that.  Cold and wet is what I've got, lol, how cold and how wet...can't say.  T

The only real difference between today's 12z Euro and the big 0z Miller A GFS is the piece of energy in the Midwest. Notice how similar the handling of the southern piece (TX) of energy is. On the 12z Euro, the Midwest energy keeps interacting with the southern energy as it moves eastward and draws it north a bit.

More importantly, due to the presence of that feature, there is little to no confluence over the Northeast, thus no big CAD high. So it looks like that Midwest energy is the biggest 'problem' for winter weather fans.

Also, regarding the 12z GFS..... looking through the vorticity fields, it just looks plain weird with how it handled the southern energy. I wouldn't trust that one solution....something just looks off about it to me. 

Seems fixable then :-)

Last week we were begging for some interaction and didn't get it, now we need the opposite.

That's bothersome because we've seen that type of feature time and again this winter.  This doesn't guarantee it will be there, but if it is, then watch for the famous Lakes Low to pop up.  That is the kiss of death.  Of course, if that feature is real, maybe it gets through first, establishes better confluence, and allows high pressure build in.

Archived