Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2 - 3 Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event would have zero chance if not for the -NAO because of that energy racing SE through WRN Canada which is basically flattening the western ridge, but thanks to the 50/50 feature in ERN Canada it cannot get east as quickly as it otherwise would...the flattening of the WRN ridge concerns me a bit although the amplification of it is still enough on most guidance that this would be able to come up the coast.

Yeah, the Feb. 5-6 storm was by far the worst, a trace for NYC will places in central NJ had 2 plus feet. I think this storm even if does go well SE of us can still produce some decent snows for us, it's a very broad LP system on the GFS and shows decent snow for everyone.

Some pictures from that storm:

http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photo2010a.html

I was in Cape May where it snowed heavily. By the time I got to New York City, it was mainly overcast.

How similar is the surface map to the Lindsay storm. Set up not strength

The 1969 Lindsay snowstorm was just barely cold enough for snow and started as rain per Kocin's recollections as a boy in Smithtown...south of NYC very little snow fell.

The Twin Forks of LI were mostly rain.  IIRC, Upton had over a foot, but just 8 miles to their SE, KFOK saw around 3 inches.

Unc you have to look at the ENSO listed the 1996 storm was a cold ENSO the next Neutral Enso listed is feb 8, 1994 that storm delivered between 7 - 12 inches around the area

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=EC&model=GFS212&fhr=F120&flg=

yea I missed that...2/8-9/1994 was a long storm...it started as heavy snow but changed to sleet and freezing rain at times...2/11/94 was the second of two storms that week...it also ended as sleet and freezing rain in my area...Central Park had 21" on the ground after the 2/11 event...

That low in the Gulf is packing some serious moisture.

EDIT: Based on the H5, there seems to be more energy emerging out of the Midwest and the Gulf. There's more digging going on too. Gonna be an interesting few days. ;)

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conusncep.php?run=2013122900&var=VRTHGTGRD_500mb&hour=084

Not trying to jump the gun, but realistically does this have any KU potential or is this going to be more run of the mill (4-8") and how well could things turn out in the best case.

This does have the possibility to be a KU if all comes together properly. Models are trending that way so it is technically on the table but do not want to jump the gun

Best point of view right now. If monday these models start showing the BIG hits then we may start throwing around big numbers ( POSSIBLY KU ) stay tuned is all i can say

I wouldn't start throwing around any numbers until at least tuesday.   A 20-30 mile shift one way or another can be huge for snow fall with this system.

I wouldn't start throwing around any numbers until at least tuesday. A 20-30 mile shift one way or another can be huge for snow fall with this system.

I can agree with that as this pattern is volatile and small changes in the phasing timing can have biggest implications in the final outcome on the east coast

Archived