Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2 - 3 Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those maps are off and are likely being skewed by a model artifact of the land surface model. Snow cover/etc.

The gfs does show minus 25 air over it's snow cover. The euro thinks there's 10 inches of snow on the ground. But single digits in nyc poss

Those maps are off and are likely being skewed by a model artifact of the land surface model. Snow cover/etc.

Todays consensus: models hone in on a MECS looking miller B. however, pattern is fragile and caution is still urged and i am on the side of caution. Im going to use boxing day as a comparison as too how fragile the setup is and not in its intensity and wide impact point of view. we dont really have established blocking and were depending on the PNA spike and northern stream to dig and time correctly with the southern branch. Not till monday 12Z model suite will i totally indulge myself in this threat. However, it is trending towards a MECS for us currently. Correct me on any errors in this statement if you will john, your opinion is greatly appreciated

Todays consensus: models hone in on a MECS looking miller B. however, pattern is fragile and caution is still urged and i am on the side of caution. Im going to use boxing day as a comparison as too how fragile the setup is and not in its intensity and wide impact point of view. we dont really have established blocking and were depending on the PNA spike and northern stream to dig and time correctly with the southern branch. Not till monday 12Z model suite will i totally indulge myself in this threat. However, it is trending towards a MECS for us currently. Correct me on any errors in this statement if you will john, your opinion is greatly appreciated

Heights will build in the Davis strait/Greenland and PV will act as a 50/50 low just in time for the storm

Heights will build in the Davis strait/Greenland and PV will act as a 50/50 low just in time for the storm

There's more than one way to get blocking and that's a way to do it. Getting a strong, perfectly placed Greenland Block or west based block is not an easy task and we've been incredibly spoiled as of late. Most don't realize how rare the storms of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 really are and I'll even toss in the February storm of last winter especially for those in SNE. 

There's been multiple awful winters in past years. Since 2000, we've only seen 2 or 3 total dud winters whereas the 80s an 90s had dud winters in bunches. 

There's more than one way to get blocking and that's a way to do it. Getting a strong, perfectly placed Greenland Block or west based block is not an easy task and we've been incredibly spoiled as of late. Most don't realize how rare the storms of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 really are and I'll even toss in the February storm of last winter especially for those in SNE. 

There's been multiple awful winters in past years. Since 2000, we've only seen 2 or 3 total dud winters whereas the 80s an 90s had dud winters in bunches. 

Thank God I was born in the late 90s, Ive heard the winters of 1996-1997 to 1999-2000 was the worst stretch of winters ever ha

Coincides with the PDO shift. 1940's and 1960's saw these storms nearly as common as the 2000's.

Euro ensembles are exactly where we want them at this point. If they were showing a major hit at this point in time, I would worry. We want them to be slightly east of the area and slightly east of the OP.

The ensembles look fine. They still seem to b in the slot
The difference w the op are small and nothing that's really alarming
Every storm has a little variance to it. Nothing glaring

Coincides with the PDO shift. 1940's and 1960's saw these storms nearly as common as the 2000's.

The 80s were more bad luck repeatedly than anything else, almost a perfect storm of timing never ever being right, the NAO was negative plenty of times from 1984-1992 and yet only one 8 inch storm occurred in NYC in those 8 years.,,,86-87 and 87-88 had tons of chances but they all missed down in the MA and 88-89 was similar...we'll undoubtedly see another period whjere the PDO/AMO/NAO/ENSO all are similar to the 80s but odds of us even coming close to a snow drought like that again would be near zero.

Nice deep  D10 trough into the Northeast on the ensembles .

The GFS Op has been trying to go back to that SE ridge idea but yet its had a -NAO signal at the same time, I think even if we did get a SE ridge type setup again where the AK ridge built back west it would be a heavily muted SE ridge thanks to there being more ridging over Greenland.

Thank God I was born in the late 90s, Ive heard the winters of 1996-1997 to 1999-2000 was the worst stretch of winters ever ha

Too bad you never got to experience 95-96 and the Blizzard of 96, a storm that felt like it lasted for 3 days,  January 2000, going to bed with forecast for flurries and waking up to a foot+ of snow, too bad. the winter of 93-94, April Fools 1997...you snow weenies are lucky these days with all these big storms lately. Not that 27 is old or anything, but trust me, don't take the recent big snow seasons for granted, it all evens out eventually. 

The GFS Op has been trying to go back to that SE ridge idea but yet its had a -NAO signal at the same time, I think even if we did get a SE ridge type setup again where the AK ridge built back west it would be a heavily muted SE ridge thanks to there being more ridging over Greenland.

I just wama Muffle it I don't kill it. Don't want whiffs. But Its hard to ask for a better set up ths far out. It looks like a good pattern.

U take the precip types out of the equation.

The 80s were more bad luck repeatedly than anything else, almost a perfect storm of timing never ever being right, the NAO was negative plenty of times from 1984-1992 and yet only one 8 inch storm occurred in NYC in those 8 years.,,,86-87 and 87-88 had tons of chances but they all missed down in the MA and 88-89 was similar...we'll undoubtedly see another period whjere the PDO/AMO/NAO/ENSO all are similar to the 80s but odds of us even coming close to a snow drought like that again would be near zero.

I wouldn't wish 88 - 92 on my worst enemy.

The one thing I will add is the EPO is forecasted to b between 4 and 5 s d below normal thst helps push on the s e ridge and prob keep it at bay think the gfs mistake was taking the MJO into 5. Euro was 8 1 2. So the gfs broke the AK ridge down too fast

Too bad you never got to experience 95-96 and the Blizzard of 96, a storm that felt like it lasted for 3 days,  January 2000, going to bed with forecast for flurries and waking up to a foot+ of snow, too bad. the winter of 93-94, April Fools 1997...you snow weenies are lucky these days with all these big storms lately. Not that 27 is old or anything, but trust me, don't take the recent big snow seasons for granted, it all evens out eventually. 

Dec 2010 might be the best in terms of dynamics, snow rates, and wind, I wish another 96' happened tho

Dec 2010 might be the best in terms of dynamics, snow rates, and wind, I wish another 96' happened tho

The wind was incredible that night-we easily had gusts over 60 mph with the snow. The rates varied more where I lived since the most intense banding was just west of me that night. But we still ended up with nearly 20". I think it would have been a storm that killed a lot of people many years ago because of how it snuck up on us in the last 48hr before hitting. As it is, it takes a big time storm to paralyze NYC like that did.

Archived