• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 2 - 3 Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

The 12z GGEM is above 0C at 850mb, near the coast, until 150hrs, when the CCB is leaving the area:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/CMC_12z/cmcloop.html

I don't value the GGEM either.

It shows rain through most of SNE as well. It's a huge outlier though so I wouldn't value it much (as others are saying). I will say, this is by far the best potential pattern we've had so far this winter to produce something notable for the entire area. The blocking isn't particularly strong, but it could be enough to cause sufficient interaction for a nice winter storm for our area. Let's hope that holds. There could still be little interaction and therefore suppression.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw DT's FB. He says this is not a New England and Northeast snow storm. Hopefully he's wrong. In the other hand I'm sure JB is hyping it big for NYC. Maybe a compromise would be nice.

The 12Z GFS ensemble members are all over the place but at 132 hours, they overall argue against his idea, I can find 8 of the 12 that argue for this being more of a NE event than the MA.

Just saw DT's FB. He says this is not a New England and Northeast snow storm. Hopefully he's wrong. In the other hand I'm sure JB is hyping it big for NYC. Maybe a compromise would be nice.

LIsnow666 since you are new here - we have a separate thread for vendor reviews and  comments - anyways the 12Z GFS ensembles also have us in the 0.25 -0.50 qpf range

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2013122812/gfs-ens_apcpn24_us.html

Based on what I'm reading here, the ensembles were showing this threat more than the operational runs of the GFS and Euro.  Now, we're seeing the Euro on the operational showing the threat now.  If things come together, we will have a major winter threat Thursday and Friday, followed by some really cold arctic air over the weekend.  

The PV is acting as a temporary 50/50 low to amplify the trough right

The block is forcing the PV underneath it, which keeps the high pressure in place (won't allow it to slide out like in recent storms last month that warmed up to rain near the coast), and also may help with interacting the two streams. Perfect example of how NAO blocks help our chances with snow events tremendously. It forces more interaction, slows the pattern down, and keeps cold air in place. But a lot can still change here. As others have said-I'm not that worried about rain out of this. However, there's still a long way to go. I expect at least some scares in the next few days.

Archived