Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2 - 3 Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being the bullseye this far out is never reassuring.

The Euro split the PV and sent a piece far enough east of Newfoundland to allow the eastern trough to go negative tilt in time.

I like that Davis Strait block showing up and hopefully as we get closer it still looks this good without some change

spoiling the party. The ensembles should be interesting to see. But like you, jackpot solutions this far out make

me nervous.

This is a very dynamic situation as one can see from the wide spread among the ensemble members and even the big swing in the ECMWF from 0z to 12z. I don't think one can rule in or rule out the idea of a significant snowfall with much confidence. Certainly, the opportunity is on the table and, at least IMO, that's a good thing. Nevertheless, caution is still in order. Hopefully, subsequent runs over the next few days will pin down the details.

While its certainly easy to get exciting with a run like the 12z operational Euro (and rightfully so), lets give it another day or two before really getting excited. This potential storm is still 5-6 days away which on the big picture isn't alot but there is enough time for this to trend unfavorably for us, just something to keep in mind.

one has to be encouraged by the models and the trending (slightly) -NAO over the next week.

The intrusion of arctic air plus the down turn of the NAO COULD be just right

for us. if you look at the NAO over the last six to eight weeks, we've not 

seen many spikes downward. The last notable spike in negative value was back in October. 

This was true even around thanksgiving week when we saw our first real taste of arctic air. 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Having both models come around to the Miller B idea is great to see , my only reservation going forward or how I see

this could break down , is the phasing takes place a little later and its a NE bomb leaving us w a lighter snows .

The GFS ensembles hint at it a bit , Just happy to see  the Euro finally get off the Miller A idea , so suppression idea is gone.

Archived