joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had absolutely ideal snowgrowth here, despite the poor radar returns. Not everything is about radar. The cold temperatures aloft are helping to form ideal dendrites which are accumulating pretty efficiently despite falling lightly. Here is a photo I took about a half hour ago of two beautiful snowflakes that fell on my coat. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5512_1.jpg

Very beautiful macro shot.

When I saw a kid (I'm 30), I couldn't get any storm to stay all snow. They were always snow to rain. Its used to frustrate the hell out of me that inland areas would stay all snow. This changed in the 2000s. The first big snow storm I can remember that stayed all snow was 96'.

Edit: the 93-94 season was great...I do remember that

And I remember the back to back 12" snows in 1993 or 1994

What a storm that was - between Feb 1978 and jan 1996 there weren't many storms that stayed all snow! That storm was under measured in my neck of the woods

When I saw a kid (I'm 30), I couldn't get any storm to stay all snow. They were always snow to rain. Its used to frustrate the hell out of me that inland areas would stay all snow. This changed in the 2000s. The first big snow storm I can remember that stayed all snow was 96'.

Edit: the 93-94 season was great...I do remember that

And I remember the back to back 12" snows in 1993 or 1994

Yeah March 93 of course but that turned to sleet and rain with the low tracking right on top of the coast. The majority of events in 93-94 were also of mixed variety. I think maybe 3 or 4 were actually all snow. 95-96 on the other hand had very little ice in any of the storms, we either got blasted with snow or rain.

Nice dry powdery snow here in Metuchen and about 27F - snow picked up in intensity the last 15-20 minutes and we have close to 3/4" on the ground - local streets are now covered.  Gorgeous.  Would love to get a bonus 1-2" before 4-5 pm and then get another 2-3" before the changeover...

Yeah March 93 of course but that turned to sleet and rain with the low tracking right on top of the coast. The majority of events in 93-94 were also of mixed variety. I think maybe 3 or 4 were actually all snow. 95-96 on the other hand had very little ice in any of the storms, we either got blasted with snow or rain.

Yea I didn't mention 93' in there bc it still upsets me haha. What a storm it was for the entire eastern 1/3 of our country. Storm surge in Florida. ..that squall line...a foot of snow in Alabama..2 ft in southern Tenn. 55" in Syracuse. Just wow. I lost power in that storm and I remember my house being so cold.

My temp keeps dropping...24.1

Yea I didn't mention 93' in there bc it still upsets me haha. What a storm it was for the entire eastern 1/3 of our country. Storm surge is Florida. ..that squall line...a foot of snow in Alabama..2 ft in southern Tenn. 55" in Syracuse. Just wow. I lost power in that storm and I remember my house being so cold.

My temp keeps dropping...24.1

It was still a great storm. Amazing that it had been 10 years before that since we saw a foot of snow. People expect it every year now

Down to 24.6 in Colts Neck. The battle ground is 195 now. Later it's 78. But the low level cold air continues to drain.

Lets see where the real fight is. Will wind up w more snow in CN that I thought. Over an inch here , thought 2 was my max.

Now thinking 3 Will see how long the cold hangs

Yep, plenty cold from Trenton over to Belmar but mostly rain south of there

njwxnet-temperature.png

Right now toms river is the dividing line. Like last Sunday they got 8 inches it never came N it got caught in the flow

It's a matter where their arctic boundary decides to stop.

I want it to b 195. But I thnk it's. 78 in the end.

Leading the pack...

NEW JERSEY

...BERGEN COUNTY...
HILLSDALE 2.1 200 PM 12/14 PUBLIC
RIVERVALE 1.8 107 PM 12/14 PUBLIC
PARAMUS 1.7 200 PM 12/14 NJ DOT
RIDGEWOOD 1.6 101 PM 12/14 TRAINED SPOTTER
MIDLAND PARK 1.3 114 PM 12/14 TRAINED SPOTTER
BERGENFIELD 1.2 215 PM 12/14 TRAINED SPOTTER
RUTHERFORD 1.0 200 PM 12/14 NJ DOT

Archived