• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

5.9" storm total, about 10 miles north of you on Rt 82. Lots of reports from both my south and north of 7-8" total, and I have about 600 ft elevation. Must have started sleeting a bit earlier. Not a bad event overall.

Elevation may have played a factor on the earlier flip to sleet since we were a bit closer to the warm layer. New Windsor here in Orange county jack potted with 9-10" and they sit around 100' or so.. 

Overall looks like a general 7-9" for the area..

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elevation may have played a factor on the earlier flip to sleet since we were a bit closer to the warm layer. New Windsor here in Orange county jack potted with 9-10" and they sit around 100' or so..

Overall looks like a general 7-9" for the area..

A little elevation played a big part here too, we are at just less than 5", all the trees are absolutely crusted in ice, at about 510'. Down the road at 110', still a snowy scene, but a big difference.

A little elevation played a big part here too, we are at just less than 5", all the trees are absolutely crusted in ice, at about 510'. Down the road at 110', still a snowy scene, but a big difference.

What was interesting is that by looking at the SPC mesoanalysis charts I couldn't find the warm layer lol...  Both 925mb & 850mb maps were < 0c ... You would think it had to have been a deep warm layer considering we had sleet at 15f not to mention under heavier echoes too..

Had 1.0 inches of rain after the changeover here in Sheepshead Bay.

I drove from Brooklyn to Hewlett this morning, it's amazing how much snow melted at my location, but I was shocked how the south shore and the five towns had virtually no snow left at all. It was like it never happened. I guess it was the 46 at JFK overnight vs. 38 we had and it was back to below freezing by 7am.

Deepest I recorded yesterday was 3.75 .. so im not sure about the 5" report from Wading River.  I will say the best accumulation rate of the day was right before the changeover so maybe that guy had good timing.  I was driving back from a call at that time..

SUFFOLK COUNTY...
   WADING RIVER           5.0   957 PM 12/14  PUBLIC
   ST. JAMES              4.5   950 PM 12/14  PUBLIC
   CENTERPORT             4.3  1000 PM 12/14  NWS COOP
   ISLIP AIRPORT          4.1  1000 PM 12/14  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER
   PORT JEFFERSON         4.1  1040 PM 12/14  PUBLIC
   SHOREHAM               3.7  1010 PM 12/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SETAUKET               3.5  1114 PM 12/14  PUBLIC

Deepest I recorded yesterday was 3.75 .. so im not sure about the 5" report from Wading River.  I will say the best accumulation rate of the day was right before the changeover so maybe that guy had good timing.  I was driving back from a call at that time..

SUFFOLK COUNTY...

WADING RIVER           5.0   957 PM 12/14  PUBLIC

ST. JAMES              4.5   950 PM 12/14  PUBLIC

CENTERPORT             4.3  1000 PM 12/14  NWS COOP

ISLIP AIRPORT          4.1  1000 PM 12/14  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER

PORT JEFFERSON         4.1  1040 PM 12/14  PUBLIC

SHOREHAM               3.7  1010 PM 12/14  TRAINED SPOTTER

SETAUKET               3.5  1114 PM 12/14  PUBLIC

There is an official NWS cooperative in the town of Baiting Hollow (very close to Wading River) that got 4.4"...so its not out of the question.

http://mesonet.agron...network=NY_COOP

There is an official NWS cooperative in the town of Baiting Hollow (very close to Wading River) that got 4.4"...so its not out of the question.

http://mesonet.agron...network=NY_COOP

Makes sense.  An Upton employee lives in WR as well and may have been the 5" .  Only patchy remnants of it left today anyway.  Hopefully at some point we can get into a pattern that supports a little lasting snowcover!

Archived