joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 4.2 at LGA is right in line with what we measured in Astoria.

They seem to be getting on the observers now to take a measurement when the ptype changes, that was a major problem up until early last winter, CPK may have had 5.4-5.6 or so IMO but close enough, the changeover to sleet was around 20-25 minutes after the ob was taken and about another .4-.5 may have fallen...don't think the record broke though.

And to think people were freaking out and calling bust for 1-3.

And the storm ended up eerily similar to 1/11/91 which was the #1 analog on CIPS last night, even down to the timing of the start, when the precip type changed, and when the heavier rates were...the entire event more or less unfolding from same time of day start to end

And the storm ended up eerily similar to 1/11/91 which was the #1 analog on CIPS last night, even down to the timing of the start, when the precip type changed, and when the heavier rates were...the entire event more or less unfolding from same time of day start to end

Yep I mentioned that storm yesterday. Had alot of heavy rain with that one late at night

I just saw a report from LI on the news, raining pretty heavily in Levittown. 

Points NW of NYC should be careful of icing on the roads with freezing rain that probably will be coming down shortly.

Temps are definitely above freezing by me now, anything coming down now will melt what is on the ground down a bit. 

Ditmars Blvd is mostly wet with some slushy spots.  My street is slushy, but I expect that to change once a plow comes thru/more rain comes down.

It's just impressive to me seeing as its 12/14. Hopefully this bodes well for the winter. BTW I think it does. Mostly colder than normal with a lot of small to moderate events (2-4/3-6) and maybe one big event but no majors this yr. could be a poor mans 93/94. Or a snowier 08/09. I guess we'll see!

Yeah. I'm heavily researching above average snowfall Decembers with a +AO, -EPO and +NAO. It would be nice if some people will help me out with that. ;)

And to think people were freaking out and calling bust for 1-3.

Yes, where is weatherpruf who called it a weak 1 to 3 inch storm during the early evening. The post got deleted, but he mocked a few of us (said we know more than NWS)  when we pointed out to him that there were a few hours of heavy snow left and no way it would be just a 1 to 3 inch event. My 4 to 5 inch prediction ended up working out well.

Select snowfall amounts:

Islip: 4.1" (Previous daily record: 1.2" in 1988)

JFK: 3.2" (2nd highest figure for 12/14; record is 4.5" in 2003)

LGA: 4.2" (2nd highest figure for 12/14; record is 4.8" in 2003)

NYC: 5.0" (2nd highest figure for 12/14; record is 5.8" in 2003)

Newark: 4.3" (Previous daily record: 4.2" in 1951)

Archived