joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've ever seen freezing rain this heavy before but it's literally been pouring here, and it's still 27 so it's cold enough for it to accumulate.  I can hear the ice on the branches when they sway in the wind.

Same here as well. It's really interesting. I wonder how the intensity affects accretion. 

Same here as well. It's really interesting. I wonder how the intensity affects accretion. 

Higher intensity definitely reduces accretion to some degree. More of the rain drips off the limbs and wires before it can freeze. But even with less than 100% accretion, of course ice can still build up quickly when the rain is heavy. 

Higher intensity definitely reduces accretion to some degree. More of the rain drips off the limbs and wires before it can freeze. But even with less than 100% accretion, of course ice can still build up quickly when the rain is heavy. 

Yeah I'm noticing some of the rain dripping off the limbs outside.  But it wasn't before when the rain was heavy, so I'm guessing once the temps start getting more borderline (like 28 or higher) then that becomes more of a factor.

Archived