• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

And this is exactly what most models are showing...heavy stuff arriving a little before 00z and the changeover not happening until around 3z. At least here...maybe there'll be a sharp gradient just to the south.

Snow finally picking up here now and the radar appears to be filling in.

Radar is filling in really nice. He obv does not look at models because it was suppose to be showery like this until late afternoon.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar wasn't supposed to pick up til later...I wasn't implying that statement about the radar was correct but he seemed to get under people's skin way too easily. The guy is very good poster even if he says what a lot of people don't want to hear ..lets just move on

Rjay- you are a good dude. Thank you!

We've had absolutely ideal snowgrowth here, despite the poor radar returns. Not everything is about radar. The cold temperatures aloft are helping to form ideal dendrites which are accumulating pretty efficiently despite falling lightly. Here is a photo I took about a half hour ago of two beautiful snowflakes that fell on my coat. 

post-73-0-14516600-1387047650_thumb.jpg

We've had absolutely ideal snowgrowth here, despite the poor radar returns. Not everything is about radar. The cold temperatures aloft are helping to form ideal dendrites which are accumulating pretty efficiently despite falling lightly. Here is a photo I took about a half hour ago of two beautiful snowflakes that fell on my coat.

IMG_5512_1.jpg

That's a great pic! Cell phone cam?

Ace, you're better than that. The radar was never supposed to be all that impressive at this point, so why try to instigate? Plus, if anything, the event has slightly overperformed so far for C NJ and north, given there have already been lots of 1"+ accumulations well before the event was supposed to get going.

That is true - my comment was a case in point - CURRENTLY it looks ragged. I have no idea what it will look like 3 hrs from now. My comment was innocuous - people on this board have major issues.

IMG_5512_1.jpg

Awesome pic dude!!!!

We had a nice burst of snow for about 30-35 mins here in Central Union County.  Back to a lighter/finer snow now, but it's steady at that.  Looks like the radar is beginning to show the consolidation of the precip shield down to our S/SW.  Should see some heavier snowfall come on in the next four to five hours and then the really heavy bursts after that before the sleet/frz rain and then all rain.  This strikes me as being our atypical winter storm with all the elements.

Crazy temp differentials, multiple low pressures on the map, all the precipitation types.

attachicon.gifIMG_5512_1.jpg

Great pic!

That is true - my comment was a case in point - CURRENTLY it looks ragged. I have no idea what it will look like 3 hrs from now. My comment was innocuous - people on this board have major issues.

There's moderate, maybe even heavy returns over C NJ that are headed this way. Models have us as snow for maybe 6 more hours. Take what comes and enjoy it while it lasts.

attachicon.gifIMG_5512_1.jpg

great shot

We had a nice burst of snow for about 30-35 mins here in Central Union County.  Back to a lighter/finer snow now, but it's steady at that.  Looks like the radar is beginning to show the consolidation of the precip shield down to our S/SW.  Should see some heavier snowfall come on in the next four to five hours and then the really heavy bursts after that before the sleet/frz rain and then all rain.  This strikes me as being our atypical winter storm with all the elements.

Crazy temp differentials, multiple low pressures on the map, all the precipitation types.

Its really not that atypical but we've gotten used to either all rain or all snow events for the most part over the past few years. It seems like we used to have alot more of these mixed bag type of storms back in the 70s/80s

Its really not that atypical but we've gotten used to either all rain or all snow events for the most part over the past few years. It seems like we used to have alot more of these mixed bag type of storms back in the 70s/80s

When I was a kid (I'm 30), I couldn't get any storm to stay all snow. They were always snow to rain. It used to frustrate the hell out of me that inland areas would stay all snow. This changed in the 2000s. The first big snow storm I can remember that stayed all snow was 96'.

Edit: the 93-94 season was great...I do remember that

And I remember the back to back 12" snows in 1993 or 1994

Radar is filling in really nice. He obv does not look at models because it was suppose to be showery like this until late afternoon.

Right - I don't look at models but I can read and understand soundings and skew T's. I'll take what I'm capable of and day - I don't get fooled every 6 hours.

About 1.5" so far in Larchmont. Everything is covered in white and a light to occasionally moderate snow continues to fall. Though the GFS, ECMWF, and volatile NAM are the bearers of the bad news concerning warming aloft later on, the beauty of the snow that has fallen and has yet to fall will create special memories as every snowfall always does. This was never going to be a KU-type snowstorm, but a nice 3"-6" has its own beauty.

Archived