joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 12/14-15 The bad pattern storm

Ji

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry. You'll most likely be added overnight. You're in a better location than most of southern Carroll County. Parkton and the rest of northern Baltimore County will almost always receive more snow than places like Eldersburg, Sykesville and Finksburg. Mt. Airy however has good elevation so even though they are in the southern part of the county they always do well. With this event, you being in a more northern location should buy you more time with zero line.

LWX should have definitely included northern Baltimore with this warning although I have some doubts about how well we'll do with this one, but we are on a roll so maybe we will luck out again. Another area that should be included is the northern part of Harford County in places like Norrisville but LWX doesn't split that county up like they do with Baltimore County. Most northern Harford location have good elevation and do every bit as well as northern Baltimore and Carroll Counties. Not to be too critical of LWX, but they don't always take the most logical approach.

The northern part of Baltimore county (as defined by LWX) includes places barely north of the Baltimore beltway (inside the beltway and south is southern Baltimore county) which could be up to 20 miles south of the M/D line, and which are probably more populated, and those areas aren't going to get much this time. That includes my backyard, Cockeysville, Timonium, even Phin's backyard.

I think for that reason LWX went with the advisory.

The northern part of Baltimore county (as defined by LWX) includes places barely north of the Baltimore beltway (inside the beltway and south is southern Baltimore county) which could be up to 20 miles south of the M/D line, and which are probably more populated, and those areas aren't going to get much this time. That includes my backyard, Cockeysville, Timonium, even Phin's backyard.

I think for that reason LWX went with the advisory.

I thought Timonium was part of the southern half of Baltimore County. The cutoff of the two zones seems to be right at Cockeysville. They could have easily put the Hereford zone portion in a warning and the southern half in an advisory.

Either way, its a tricky forecast.

I thought Timonium was part of the southern half of Baltimore County. The cutoff of the two zones seems to be right at Cockeysville. They could have easily put the Hereford zone portion in a warning and the southern half in an advisory.

Either way, its a tricky forecast.

I think the cutoff is right along the beltway. I remember when I lived in Lutherville (just south of Cockeysville) I was still included in northern Balt county, but once I clicked Towson or any place inside 695, it was the southern part. Maybe they could draw the cutoff differently, but then again the rain/snow line isn't the same for every storm.

This is the kind of storm where literally every mile could matter just north of Baltimore, so you could get 5" while Sparks gets 2". October 2011 was like that too. Since you're just a few miles from two WSWs with 4-8"+, I think you'll do fine.

1-3 IMBY will put me close to 10.

LWX thinking our elevation doesn't do that well.  I'm at about 510' in Hamilton.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ABOVE 1500 FEET.

LESS THAN AN INCH OF SNOW ELSEWHERE. ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO

ONE TENTH OF AN INCH ARE EXPECTED ABOVE 1500 FEET.

I just want a half inch to go 4 on the month. That's hardly something to complain about. 

This storm is more of a climo fail for us city folks than a bad luck fail. Not enough cold to work with but being in the low 30's is pretty cold as it is. It would be a massive model bust with surface temps to expect otherwise. Maybe it gets going early enough before it goes to melt on contact before it goes to rain. 

I've been in the Philly sub forum all day cause I am chasing this storm this weekend and it is a snooze fest there. I get more info here than I could ever get there. Are we the only very active sub forum? I thought ours was "normal?" I'm just surprised at how little they are discussing it. I'm spoiled by you guys :)

I've been in the Philly sub forum all day cause I am chasing this storm this weekend and it is a snooze fest there. I get more info here than I could ever get there. Are we the only very active sub forum? I thought ours was "normal?" I'm just surprised at how little they are discussing it. I'm spoiled by you guys :)

I think most people from that area can't read so their forum is pretty empty.

Archived