• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

12z Euro: sfc low further north than gfs and 0z Euro. Very little wintry with that setup. Let's see if upper low keeps less impressive trend of 0z Euro.

Yep, all rain for everyone it would seem. Only chances of ice would be in the nc foothills probably but even there it wouldn't be much. It is slower, warmer, further north with the surface low,  and instead of an upper low it has a sharp upper trough. Looks a lot like the 12z canadian to be honest.

How can they be so different? GFS won the last battle a few weeks ago when it said no and the Euro caved to it. Now the GFS is honking. Hope the Euro caves to it again.

they are quite different for so little time into the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, all rain for everyone it would seem. Only chances of ice would be in the nc foothills probably but even there it wouldn't be much. It is slower, warmer, further north with the surface low,  and instead of an upper low it has a sharp upper trough. Looks a lot like the 12z canadian to be honest.

@114 ecmwf_snowdepth_nc_20.png

@114 ecmwf_snowdepth_nc_20.png

Those snow maps from that source are highly questionable to say the least...if not completely inaccurate. It showed a ton of snow for north ga on the last run i think even though it was clearly way too warm.

that said, there would be some light snow for alabama and tn. ga and the carolinas wouldn't get anything, save maybe the highest elevations as the low moves away.

Yeah its mind-boggling at the difference in the 500 from GFS,Euro,CMC considering the effects of the storm should begin in the next 3.5 days or so.

Euro looks like the NAM at 84hrs if you were to extrapolate, phaser, sub 540m heights coming down into N TN, southern stream is engulfed.

Well that lends more credence to the GFS than :-).

It seems like you have the super phased CMC/Euro, late phases UK/NAVGEM and no phaser GFS.  It's crazy considering we are talking around 84 hour forecast.

Not sure why when the last time the Euro showed a big storm at first and the GFS didn't, and the GFS ended up being right. The Euro ended up caving to the GFS then. Now we will have to see if the two stay different up to the end, or if one starts caving to the other.

Because people get ticked when they have their snow storm ripped out from under them. :)

In any case, a EURO/NAM combination is usually hard to beat, but not impossible. I will reserve judgment until after tonight's runs.

It used to happen with much more regularity. Below zero was rare, but a single digit night or two in a winter was a pretty normal occurrence.

I'm just guessing, and I figure Larry will put me in my place, but I'd say one or two in ten years we'd see single digits, maybe more.  Saw a lot in the 60's.  Recently not so much, but even in the 80's and 90's it wasn't so rare.  0 or below, much more rarefied air in my parts of Ga. Over the fields, and thru the woods, on mammoth back we'd go.  Everyone laughed, and smiled and sang, as the stars shone upon the snow....

There's something wrong with the Wx Bell clown maps that have recently been posted. They way overdid snow accum.'s on the 0Z Euro. As lookout said, the 0Z Euro's map had major snow in N GA ahead of the sfc low when 850's were well above 0C. Even that 12Z Euro map looks overdone but not nearly as badly.

Not sure why when the last time the Euro showed a big storm at first and the GFS didn't, and the GFS ended up being right. The Euro ended up caving to the GFS then. Now we will have to see if the two stay different up to the end, or if one starts caving to the other.

The Euro ensembles however were largely in favor of the GFS last time and I think even the Canadian was out to sea as well, I think the Euro is probably a bit too ampified happy but I think its got a better chance of being right than the GFS does.

. Climo is just averages. Anything can happen, and it's not like its 15 days out! Could be legit!

This is what I was saying a few days ago. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, if the setup allows it, then it can happen. How often do you see a winter storm warning for Dallas in November? It hit 16 degrees here back in October of 1954.

The difference between this November and last November was that last year, it stayed cool nearly the entire month. This year the outbreaks of cold have been more intense, but then you get warm ups that follow.

This is what I was saying a few days ago. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, if the setup allows it, then it can happen. How often do you see a winter storm warning for Dallas in November? It hit 16 degrees here back in October of 1954.

The difference between this November and last November was that last year, it stayed cool nearly the entire month. This year the outbreaks of cold have been more intense, but then you get warm ups that follow.

Yeah, but averages is averages, lol.  You can what if with climo, but it's the same averages as when you've got one round in 6 chambers for Russian Roulette :)  Not a good gamble.... It's why CR is the king!  He spun and won, against all odds....I mean like never happened odds down here.  Sure it happens, but once in never isn't exactly scintillating.

Hazardous weather outlook for the following:

Forsyth/Guilford...

...A STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE GULF COAST ON TUESDAY...THEN TRACK NORTHEAST ALONG THE CAROLINA COAST ON WEDNESDAY. ALTHOUGH RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE THE PREDOMINATE PRECIPITATION TYPE WITH THIS SYSTEM...A WINTRY MIX WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE TRIAD AND WESTERN PIEDMONT IF PRECIPITATION DEVELOPS DURING THE PRE-DAWN HOURS TUESDAY MORNING. RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ARE ENCOURAGED TO MONITOR THE FORECAST FOR THIS SYSTEM AS THE WEEKEND PROGRESSES.

Surry/Wilkes...

LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...THERE WILL BE A THREAT FOR WINTRY WEATHER...WITH FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW ALL POSSIBLE. AT THIS TIME...THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY ON HOW MUCH PRECIPITATION FALLS WHILE TEMPERATURES STAY BELOW FREEZING...SO STAY TUNED.

Catawba/Iredell...

..TUESDAY...WINTRY MIX POSSIBLE. ANY PRECIPITATION THAT FALLS EARLY TUESDAY MORNING COULD BEGIN AS A BRIEF PERIOD OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET ACROSS THE NORTHWEST PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN FOOTHILLS. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO RAIN.

MRX has went with ZR/sleet as their frozen precip type of choice and is actually predicting all rain in the highest elevations of the Smokies.

MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL
BE A GOOD POSSIBILITY THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY. DO NOT BE SURPRISED
TO SEE HIGHER ELEVATIONS RECEIVE RAIN...RATHER THAN WINTRY WEATHER
BECAUSE OF THE WARMER AIR ALOFT.

As for the clown maps, I've noticed some show all frozen precip as snow accumulation. Not sure if that's what the WB map is doing or not.

Archived