wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is ridiculously cold after this storm.... Next weekend espically!

Low teens and single digits for this area for lows and struggling to make into the 20s durring the day.... lol.

This just seems impossible given climo.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

It's probably not likely, but if we have snow and ice on the ground (as the GFS predicts), it could very well happen.  Single Digits happen here, though it's been awhile.

Anyways, the Euro is rolling.  Will it be Dr. No or Dr. Yes this afternoon?

Right. I remember still to this day that right after Jan25 2000 that RDU got down to 0 the night after the storm.

Sent from my SCH-L710

It's probably not likely, but if we have snow and ice on the ground (as the GFS predicts), it could very well happen.  Single Digits happen here, though it's been awhile.

I know they happen. I know that 20 below is possible along the TN/MS border but When's the last time any of us (outside the mountains) had single digits by Dec 1st?

Sent from my SCH-L710

I know they happen. I know that 20 below is possible along the TN/MS border but When's the last time any of us (outside the mountains) had single digits by Dec 1st?

My last single digit reading was in January 2011 and that was 6 in January with snow cover. Granted, that was also well within the confines of the Memphis heat island.

Sent from my SCH-L710

When is the last time we had a substantial snowpack down in the area by December 1st?  I guess November 19, 2000, but that wasn't very substantial.  That's the main driving force behind the single digits.

I was looking back at the climate records for KGSO and it looks like the last time KGSO got down into the single digits was January 2005.  That's a long time and probably atypical, for that matter.  It did get down close a few times, though.

It used to happen with much more regularity. Below zero was rare, but a single digit night or two in a winter was a pretty normal occurrence.

Sent from my SCH-L710

When is the last time we had a substantial snowpack down in the area by December 1st?  I guess November 19, 2000, but that wasn't very substantial.  That's the main driving force behind the single digits.

I can't remember even a single event in our area of more than 3 inches prior to Dec 20th or so. I normally do not even follow the models until December. I not saying it's not possible but it just seems like this is already on the extreme end of things.

Euro is going way inland, App's runner, this is at hour 84, this is the Euro's wheelhouse, it's hard to believe how far apart these models are.

I'm on my phone. Do you mind telling me what this looks like for West TN?

How can they be so different? GFS won the last battle a few weeks ago when it said no and the Euro caved to it. Now the GFS is honking. Hope the Euro caves to it again.

Well, the Euro was honking yesterday while the GFS was saying no and now we've flipped the roles, so who knows?

It used to happen with much more regularity. Below zero was rare, but a single digit night or two in a winter was a pretty normal occurrence.

It seems like even when I was younger in the 1990s it wasn't all that unusual.

---------------------------------------

The Euro brings a strong surface low right up I-85.  Okay.  That's new.

12z Euro: sfc low further north than gfs and 0z Euro. Very little wintry with that setup. Let's see if upper low keeps less impressive trend of 0z Euro.

Only 1"+ snow with upper low mainly mountains far NE AL to far W NC and further west in E TN.

Well, the Euro was honking yesterday while the GFS was saying no and now we've flipped the roles, so who knows?

---------------------------------------

The Euro brings a strong surface low right up I-85.  Okay.  That's new.

A lot of back and forth. Makes me think this thing is really dynamic and could go either way. So, if the keep switching places, how do we keep score of who is right and wrong?

By the way. My hopefully funny answer to Wow about it being rare to go below 10º here in November was not that far off. The record November low for the past 84 years for GBO/WS/HP is exactly 10º. Who knows when was the last time it went below 10º. I may have been right. :)

Archived