wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't be surprised if the clown maps give RDU between 4-8 inches of snow on this run. IF and that's a big IF the GFS plays out this way it's all going to depend on where exactly that low goes. Big winners and big losers on runs like this. Roughly most of central NC looks to start as some sort of icy mess then moves to 1-3 inches of snow. Again though don't bank on it. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the clown maps give RDU between 4-8 inches of snow on this run. IF and that's a big IF the GFS plays out this way it's all going to depend on where exactly that low goes. Big winners and big losers on runs like this. Roughly most of central NC looks to start as some sort of icy mess then moves to 1-3 inches of snow. Again though don't bank on it. 

One thing I noticed is the 1 contour stays closed throughout until it's off the coast, maybe this is a trend to a 2 contour

Pretty close to snow at GSO between 117 and 120 hrs based on thickness, 3/10 to 4/10 liquid equivalent.

Looking at that low (I know given climo cold is tough) do you think the models are underdoing the cooling going on? It seems to never work in anyone's favor when you have to depend on dynamic cooling but I was surprised that 540 line didn't move much. 

Interesting run of the GFS, with snow possible across eastern Tennessee and North Carolina. Not sure if I buy this trend yet; however, we need to continue to watch this. NAM is in a totally different camp, EURO is closer to GFS but there is still disagreement between the GFS and EURO.

We will need to see if the trend continues over the next few runs. We still have 4-6 days to go, and there will be a lot of changes.

Lots of purple on the clown map, Danville's closing in on a foot, but keep in mind the stock 10:1 ratio, this would be half that given the thermal profiles. Way too early for that conv though, great run.

Still a long way off, but this could be they typical south and east bias at play here.  My experience tells me that "almost" every storm that comes in from the southwest US without Atlantic blocking will gain more latitude than the models depict.

Good point, we need something to help suppress this storm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in this case the northern branch is doing just that. It pulls away just in time to help the low lift which gives the good dump to the mountains. if it sticks around it should help that low move due east which would be good for MBY (of course I'll be in Florida so it'll happen). 

Looking at that low (I know given climo cold is tough) do you think the models are underdoing the cooling going on? It seems to never work in anyone's favor when you have to depend on dynamic cooling but I was surprised that 540 line didn't move much. 

The cold looks marginal imo, and we know how that usually turns out.  The little to no interaction scenario, similar to the GFS, would probably be our best chance of seeing measurable snow outside of the mountains.  The cold source is the 1035 hp building just north of the lakes, far from ideal, but maybe enough to flip places over depending on a sufficiently strong enough coastal. 

The cold looks marginal imo, and we know how that usually turns out.  The little to no interaction scenario, similar to the GFS, would probably be our best chance of seeing measurable snow outside of the mountains.  The cold source is the 1035 hp building just north of the lakes, far from ideal, but maybe enough to flip places over depending on a sufficiently strong enough coastal. 

Agree, more stream interaction, and this pulls north, and is warmer.  Less stream interaction and you get the stronger, slower southern wave with the good deformation band that QueenCity just posted

I don't like the more ragged look, and Goofy gives me less than 2 this time, but the low holds back and that means the rain falls from Monday night thru Thur. morning, and soaks...so yer takes the good with the bad :)  And the td's are low enough for some onset pellets, so I'll take it..but would like much better, lol.  Tony

Archived