POTENTIAL FOR AN EVEN DRIER AIRMASS TO BEGIN THE PERIOD. IN ANY
CASE...GOOD GOM MOISTURE FLUX WILL COMBINE WITH AN ATL FETCH
OVERNIGHT AND SATURATE THE CAD BOUNDARY IN ISENT ASCENT WHILE
BRINGING IN A DECENT WARM NOSE. A LOOK AT SFC TW/S AND THERMAL
PROFILES INDICATE A GOOD POTENTIAL FOR -FZRA ACROSS THE BLUE RIDGE
AND NC FTHILLS...WHILE THE NC MTNS SHOULD SEE MORE OF A WINTRY MIX
OF IP/SN THROUGH 12Z. AMOUNTS SHOULD BE LOW END THROUGH DAYBREAK BUT
IF THE CAD STRENGTHENS AND MAINTAINS LOW TD/S...THEN THERE COULD
BE SOME MODEST ICE ACCUMS AS THE PRECIP INTENSITY INCREASE AFT 12Z.
TOO EARLY TO TELL WHAT TYPE OF LLVL THERMAL TRANSITION IS FAVORED
JUST YET...HOWEVER...THIS WILL BE A WX SITUATION TO KEEP AN EYE ON
FOR EARLY MORNING TRAVELING/ACTIVITIES.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z Canadian is rather wintry.  Continues to bang the early precip arrival with substantial icing...with a tick of snow on the back end.

I've got to give it to the Canadian.... between canadian, euro, gfs it has generally been rather unchanged and presistent with the icestorm setup. I really really hope not though.

Here is the 6z snowfall map

Sent from my HTC One

Well atleast still has the snow with the ULL. Other than that between the euro,gfs would expect more wacky runs todays.

Edit. 

Well the positive side even though the operational gfs pretty much takes it ots for a later phase. The ensemble members show support for a further west phase stronger ULL scenario. 

6Z

gfs-ens_z500a_us_18.png

0Z

gfs-ens_z500a_us_18.png

Maybe I missed it but no one posted the DGEX? What kind of weenies are we turning into? 

RQdJ0rpl.gif

C4hFsL8l.gif

:cry:  :weenie: :lol:

Yeah I thought about posting that. Really robust at the 500mb level looks good like the gfs emsemble members. Good northern and southern stream interaction starts phasing the two branches back towards western TN,AR, MO region.

The DGEX is not even good enough to deserve to be called a model since it is so bad lol. It is an extreme fantasy 99% of the time and still somewhat of a fantasy most of the other 1%. ;) But as long as people know it is for entertainment and almost never is right with these extreme solutions, all is well. :) I know burger knows that.

Edit: I'm actually amazed at how consistently the dgex has extremely unrealistic snowy runs. How cone it always does this? Is it too cold and too stormy?

HPC map gives bullseye 50% chance of ice accums of 1/10 or greater right over upstate SC

I definitely think you guys out west have the best chance of seeing some initial wintery ptypes. This is a very cold/dry air mass. You also have the advantage of the precip coming in before sunrise; and the in-situ CAD will lock in longer at your location.

The DGEX is not even good enough to deserve to be called a model since it is so bad lol. It is an extreme fantasy 99% of the time and still somewhat of a fantasy most of the other 1%. ;) But as long as people know it is for entertainment and almost never is right with these extreme solutions, all is well. :) I know burger knows that.

We need to throw 1$ into a paypal account every time the DGEX shows a monster snow storm that doesn't happen for the south over winter. Then invest it into the stock market. We'll be rich after two seasons.  :popcorn:

On a serious note looking at the 12z NAM it's out to 63 and if I had to extrapolate (always a bad idea) I would guess there will be some northern stream interaction. Like Chris pointed out earlier though we're kind of in a no win with this one. It phases it will more than likely just pull that low north and most in the south get the cold too late. It doesn't phase there may not be enough cold air to work with.

12z NAM is looking somewhat Canadianish at 5h @84...but probably best not to torment yourself with banking on that. NAM @84 still looks to have too much of a positive tilt to me. Maybe if it links up it can go negative. Should be interesting to see what the GFS does at 12z as it looks night and day to the NAM at 5h even before 60 with timing. 

Canadian

XOFPzDFl.gif

NAM

z94LHyz.gif

On a serious note looking at the 12z NAM it's out to 63 and if I had to extrapolate (always a bad idea) I would guess there will be some northern stream interaction. Like Chris pointed out earlier though we're kind of in a no win with this one. It phases it will more than likely just pull that low north and most in the south get the cold too late. It doesn't phase there may not be enough cold air to work with.

Really it does. Opens up the closed low while the SW tries to dive south into the low. It could be bad if it phases to early.. further west and north with the backend precip.

Its going to be a perfect timing deal. If phases early then north it shall go... if it phases too late then ots it goes along with any decent snow chances.

nam_namer_063_500_vort_ht.gif

This NAM run sure is different from the previous runs; it's also more squally, which I'm not a fan of... It has the 500 mb low heading from Oklahoma/Kansas instead of south, or central, Texas which causes more interaction of the two streams... It'll be interesting to see what the 12Z GFS has. If it starts shifting north like the NAM did...  :yikes:

When did we start looking at the NAM again? I mean, we're not *really* going to extrapolate from the 84-hour NAM, are we? Come on, guys. This event is still 4-5 days out. I'm not going to care too much about what the models say until Monday night.

Hey it's Saturday morning we're bored  :blahblah:

The GFS is out to 54 and some big differences between at 5h with it and NAM. It's a few hours slower and looks further SW with the energy. 

Archived