Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2013 obs and discussion

usedtobe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's life in La Nada/La Nina.

La Nada's are interesting.  Prior to 1981-1982, most of the year since 1950 produced over 20 inches of snow.  Since then, the last 7 have been total duds.  A statistician would say that's a fluke and not statistically significant.  Most of us would worry it's because of some climate oscillation and would keep us from going heavier than normal for snow this winter.  I have no clue which is right but since around 1987, big snow years have been real hard to come by.  No snow or flurries in mby today. 

Ironically, they dont park any jets near there at all. It is an active runway for Air Wisconsin and their CRJ 200 jets and other assorted commuter type aircraft. Jets have no impact at all on the reading there.

Yeah, I figured, but it did sound good. I'll agree on the 'dark gray 'gravel' material, that really can't help IMO even with some grass showing up per TJ.

La Nada's are interesting.  Prior to 1981-1982, most of the year since 1950 produced over 20 inches of snow.  Since then, the last 7 have been total duds.  A statistician would say that's a fluke and not statistically significant.  Most of us would worry it's because of some climate oscillation and would keep us from going heavier than normal for snow this winter.  I have no clue which is right but since around 1987, big snow years have been real hard to come by.  No snow or flurries in mby today. 

you know my theory has always been whether they still have nina filth on them...those tend to be warm with less snow....the ones in warmer enso periods tend to be colder and/or snowier...this winter is slightly tougher because the nina was 2 years ago and there was some ENSO warming last fall....

neutrals were generally colder and/or snowier in the 60s and late 70s/early 80s because of the warm enso regimes, - the middle of nino sandwiches..partly because of residual southern streams

post-9749-0-80056900-1384295954_thumb.pn

post-9749-0-94265400-1384295968_thumb.pn

neutrals since 1988 are a mixed bag....though what most would consider the 3 best if you take into account the whole region snow and cold temps were 92-94 and 03-04 which were in/after warm periods...the others pretty much sucked, though 1989 had the cold start...

post-9749-0-23349100-1384295980_thumb.pn

since 1988...the cold and somewhat wintry 3 - nino sandwiches

post-9749-0-26186500-1384296362_thumb.pn

the crappy five - Nina hangovers

post-9749-0-38682500-1384296374_thumb.pn

since we can't count on nino after nino, we really need 2-3 neutrals sandwiched between ninos like the 60's, late 70s/early 80s, 92-94, 03-04

if we can do that...get something like

nino

neutral

neutral

nino

we will probably get a string of cold and mostly snowy winters..we can't keep flipping to nina if we want back to back good winters

Stop telling us it's not going to snow....we get it

It just takes one big storm!  The universe is chaotic!...You can't predict the weather!

I actually think this winter was the hardest outlook I have done...I don't have a ton of confidence...though it would shock me if we are cold and snowy

It just takes one big storm!  The universe is chaotic!...You can't predict the weather!

I actually think this winter was the hardest outlook I have done...I don't have a ton of confidence...though it would shock me if we are cold and snowy

Your post above about the crappy 5 analogs is a very disturbing slap in the face. That type of evidence usually won't be denied. By this time next year you will most likely have to change it to the crappy 6.

Archived