• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
October 2013 obs

GaWx

Current temp @ the house in Weaverville is 21.5° which is our low of the season. Things really slowed down as far as the temp drop after 4:00 am. But for late Oct. it is one of the chillier readings I have seen since I moved to this location in 2003.

The 6:54 am obs from KAVL was 25° which will be a new daily record low for Asheville.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very long duration freeze overnight.  It fell below freezing IMBY just before 11 PM.  Nine hours later the temperature stands at 27.5 F.  The low was 27.2 F.  I imagine it will be a total of 10 or more hours with below freezing temps.  As FallsLake posted above, this should definitely put an end to the growing season.

Very long duration freeze overnight.  It fell below freezing IMBY just before 11 PM.  Nine hours later the temperature stands at 27.5 F.  The low was 27.2 F.  I imagine it will be a total of 10 or more hours with below freezing temps.  As FallsLake posted above, this should definitely put an end to the growing season.

Yep same here...... low of 27.0 and a very heavy frost. Fell to freezing before midnight IMBY as well. Picked off all the green tomatoes a few days ago. I looked at the plants early this morning and all of them are dark and frozen stiff. Growing season is definitely over for us.

Current temp @ the house in Weaverville is 21.5° which is our low of the season. Things really slowed down as far as the temp drop after 4:00 am. But for late Oct. it is one of the chillier readings I have seen since I moved to this location in 2003.

The 6:54 am obs from KAVL was 25° which will be a new daily record low for Asheville.

Nice Don. I am glad to see the record fall. Well this temp for this time of the year is just unheard of. We ended up getting down to 14 degrees! That is very impressive even for winters standard. Off to work. Everybody have a great day.

Superb video to document the first 'true day of winter' in Avery County !

Notice how the leaves are already gone from the trees above 4000'.

US221 is the famous 'low road' we have to take between Linville and Blowing Rock during the winter months when the Parkway above is iced over and closed by the Park Service.

Be prepared on that 18 mile stretch of cut backs and blind curves on US221.   That 18 miles is one of the toughest stretches of major paved roads in the area and provides many great vantage points of Grandfather Mountain above and the coves below Grandfather Mountain.

Thanks for taking the time to put together and post this video.  It was enjoyed and sincerely appreciated!

Thanks so much William. I drove 221 in January four years ago, and it was covered in hard pack snow and ice, and it was 15 degrees with a 30 mph wind. I really learned about driving on ice that day. The 18 miles took forever, but it sure was beautiful...

Nice Don. I am glad to see the record fall. Well this temp for this time of the year is just unheard of. We ended up getting down to 14 degrees! That is very impressive even for winters standard. Off to work. Everybody have a great day.

Wow, that is most impressive guys, Very nice for Oct 26.  Nice shot of cold air the last few days has been impressive for this time of the year. Only got to 27* here in the BR foothills.

Mount Mitchell's low was 15 this morning, so pretty impressive if you had a 14 degree reading this morning.

28 in my backyard at 6am. looks like we got a long duration freeze last night. RDU reports 32 at 1am and it has been at that temp or lower since. The growing season has ended; for at least the Raleigh area.

Got down to 29 at RDU. Did not expect that, since we usually end up with some stray cloud or breeze of wind to keep us at or above the expected lows.

This early cold really doesn't have any correlation to a cold and snowy winter. Last year around this time when Sandy moved through we were all breaking record lows and feet of snow in the mountains of NC I think.

Next week looks warm though.

In fact, I usually don't look too happily on chilly Octobers, especially if they are dry.

In fact, I usually don't look too happily on chilly Octobers, especially if they are dry.

There's a lot of talk about winter indicators, I have stated before I think a cold November is a bad sign; just for the fact that it seems the pattern that is established in late November early December can establish itself through the winter. Or at the very least a cold early December allows the three month winter period get off to a good start (below normal). Never thought too much about October except for the storm around Halloween thought.

Archived