Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 2013 obs

GaWx

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was 35 this morning, and ice was again on the car. Yesterday was 28 with a moderate frost on the meadow. On Wednesday afternoon, I went to Grandfather Mountain. and snow flurries were blowing around for about five miles of driving on the Parkway. It was 34 degrees at 4 p.m. I made this video from US 221 below the mountain. It was VERY windy above 4,000 feet.

It was 35 this morning, and ice was again on the car. Yesterday was 28 with a moderate frost on the meadow. On Wednesday afternoon, I went to Grandfather Mountain. and snow flurries were blowing around for about five miles of driving on the Parkway. It was 34 degrees at 4 p.m. I made this video from US 221 below the mountain. It was VERY windy above 4,000 feet.

Superb video to document the first 'true day of winter' in Avery County !

Notice how the leaves are already gone from the trees above 4000'.

US221 is the famous 'low road' we have to take between Linville and Blowing Rock during the winter months when the Parkway above is iced over and closed by the Park Service.

Be prepared on that 18 mile stretch of cut backs and blind curves on US221.   That 18 miles is one of the toughest stretches of major paved roads in the area and provides many great vantage points of Grandfather Mountain above and the coves below Grandfather Mountain.

Thanks for taking the time to put together and post this video.  It was enjoyed and sincerely appreciated!

After a high 52 temps are dropping for the night... 49 atm. Still a little breezy but winds have calmed some over the last couple of hours.

Dps are low to mid 20s across the area with Hendreson/Oxford at 53/22. Thats pretty low dp.

Models maybe warm by a couple degrees tonight imo. Once the wind goes calm the atmosphere settles wouldn't be too shocked to see temps as low as 20-24 range across the area and even points east.

CAE had a high of 60 today and I'm looking forward to reaching the freezing mark overnight  :wub: 

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
705 PM EDT FRI OCT 25 2013

...FREEZE WARNING...  

...FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT
SATURDAY...

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS WILL BE AROUND 30 OVER MUCH OF THE AREA.

* IMPACTS...WITH FREEZING TEMPERATURES...SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT OUTDOORS AND UNCOVERED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY.
THESE CONDITIONS MAY KILL CROPS AND OTHER
SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

:wub:  

Thats an excellent video MM. Thanks for sharing it. So gorgeous there

WOW!!! That is really cold. Nice 85, Wish it was like that up here in the foothills. Sitting at 40* :(

Even the valleys are getting in on this one Dave.....We are down to 27.6° @ 10:30 pm here at the house in Weaverville. With no wind we look like we might hit the teens tonight also. Gotta love the Mnts. for early season cold!!!

Already down to 23 degrees. Teens look likely which is very impressive for this time of the year.

Lol atm teens for you is a guarantee. The only question is really how low will it go. You could easly be waking up in the low to mid range(10-15).

34 atm and falling.

Still think some lows of 20-24 very possible across central nc considering how low the dps where this afternoon.

WOW!!! That is really cold. Nice 85, Wish it was like that up here in the foothills. Sitting at 40* :(

Ya Dave very impressive cold for this time of the year. Already down to 20 degrees. No breeze at all so temps are plummeting. Hard to believe it is October. Feels like the dead of winter just about.

Even the valleys are getting in on this one Dave.....We are down to 27.6° @ 10:30 pm here at the house in Weaverville. With no wind we look like we might hit the teens tonight also. Gotta love the Mnts. for early season cold!!!

Don impressive. You have nearly reached the record low for tomorrow morning there. I think yall will break it.

Ya Dave very impressive cold for this time of the year. Already down to 20 degrees. No breeze at all so temps are plummeting. Hard to believe it is October. Feels like the dead of winter just about.

Don impressive. You have nearly reached the record low for tomorrow morning there. I think yall will break it.

85,we have been running a good 4°-5° colder than the airport up hear in Weaverville. I really think it's silly to have Asheville's official obs so far south of downtown but it is what it is I guess. They are showing 28° for the 3:00 am. obs. I think unless something dramatic happens they will at least tie & really should break the record of 26°. Meanwhile up here in the "Ville" we are @ 23.5°. I don't think we will hit the teens but it's gonna be close!

Archived