Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
October 2013 obs

GaWx

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

85,we have been running a good 4°-5° colder than the airport up hear in Weaverville. I really think it's silly to have Asheville's official obs so far south of downtown but it is what it is I guess. They are showing 28° for the 3:00 am. obs. I think unless something dramatic happens they will at least tie & really should break the record of 26°. Meanwhile up here in the "Ville" we are @ 23.5°. I don't think we will hit the teens but it's gonna be close!

Ya Don I agree. I would think keeping the obs in town would be better than all the way out at the airport. That makes a big difference.

Surprisingly made it down to 28.4° this morning. Fell to 32° at 11:50PM Friday Night and stayed below 32° until 9:10AM..so about 9 hours and some change below freezing this morning.  Lots of frost and ice on windshields.  Felt great out!  Hit 59° this afternoon!  Already back down to 41.0°.  Forecast is for 39°, think we will drop a little bit lower than that though.  

51 atm was in the 40s before the clouds moved in.

The kuduz vines and leftover tobacco stalks and suckers got fried with last nights freeze. In fact alot of vegatation was wilted today. So Im sure the leaves will quickly yellow then brown and fall off.

Leaves will continue to hang on until week before Thanksgiving. That seems to be the they fall fast. Temps back to normal will keep them hanging on for a while.

Leaves will continue to hang on until week before Thanksgiving. That seems to be the they fall fast. Temps back to normal will keep them hanging on for a while.

Leaves fall more due to decreasing length of day than temp.  The process starts well before we can notice anything with our eyes. there is a layer at the base of each leaf called the abscission zone.  It begins to swell as the days get shorter and eventually cuts off nutrients to the leaf. A tear line forms and the leaf drops. A breeze will make it drop a few days earlier than it would without the wind. Abscission is from the Latin, to cut away, which is where we got the word scissors.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

Leaves fall more due to decreasing length of day than temp. The process starts well before we can notice anything with our eyes. there is a layer at the base of each leaf called the abscission zone. It begins to swell as the days get shorter and eventually cuts off nutrients to the leaf. A tear line forms and the leaf drops. A breeze will make it drop a few days earlier than it would without the wind. Abscission is from the Latin, to cut away, which is where we got the word scissors.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

Go home.

75 and sunny. Back in drought conditions as well.

Anybody else in N GA, and W SC surprised by this mornings rain? Hadn't heard a whisper about rain til Thursday. It's been pouring in oconee county for a few hours and looks like ATL is about to get a heavy batch! We need it

Nope! I was, however, surprised none of the other mets in the market weren't mentioning a chance (I'm now the weekend guy at the station... but that's another story). Whenever you have something like this: post-1807-0-00449400-1382968972_thumb.gi

rolling over the southeast, you're going to get some light to moderate rain. Like you said, we need it and I'm not complaining one lick! :D

The good news about Thursday/Friday's system is the rain. The not so good news is the angry parents that are going to get after us if it rains for trick-or-treaters... :yikes:

Nope! I was, however, surprised none of the other mets in the market weren't mentioning a chance (I'm now the weekend guy at the station... but that's another story). Whenever you have something like this: attachicon.gifgfsSE_500_avort_009.gif

rolling over the southeast, you're going to get some light to moderate rain. Like you said, we need it and I'm not complaining one lick! :D

The good news about Thursday/Friday's system is the rain. The not so good news is the angry parents that are going to get after us if it rains for trick-or-treaters... :yikes:

Yep we have been stuck in the rain and fog all morning. Pretty rainy all morning with light to moderate. Our station at WLOS had a 30% chance but so far we are at 100%. Current temp is holding right around 50 degrees. Nice fall feel to the day so far.

Heavy rain for the last couple of hours. RDU closing in on inch. Did not expect this amount but will definitely take it.

I'm also surprised. I was expecting a few showers clearing out be late afternoon. But the radar really filled in and it's been raining pretty solidly. It probably happened because I wasn't at my computer looking at the radar. The old Schroedinger rain effect.

I'm also surprised. I was expecting a few showers clearing out be late afternoon. But the radar really filled in and it's been raining pretty solidly. It probably happened because I wasn't at my computer looking at the radar. The old Schroedinger rain effect.

1.22 at RDU for the event......not bad

Edit: still a little more precip at RDU so we may get a few hundreds more.

Archived