• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

I was just down in Long Beach and the lawns look terrible from a combination of the dry conditions and the salt water damage

from Hurricane Sandy. The surge line was really obvious in spots as recently as the spring into summer.

This was a shot of a lawn that marks the surge elevation at Lincoln and Walnut back in April.

attachicon.gifSR10.jpg

Yeah, we really needed a wet summer to alleviate some of the grass/tree damage from the salt. The spring was pretty wet, but from July on it has been very dry. The tree in front of our house came back in maybe 15-20% this year and it now looks stressed/dried out again where it did grow back.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy formed one year ago today SW of Jamica.

It's crazy it's been almost a year since. How little did we know that when the Euro showed that monster storm at the Delmarva/NJ coast nearly a week in advance that we would face the worst storm in our history.

We kind of lucked out that we didn't really have a hurricane season as there were many times where a storm could have hit the east coast. It makes we wonder if next year's hurricane season will come back with a vengeance. 

It's crazy it's been almost a year since. How little did we know that when the Euro showed that monster storm at the Delmarva/NJ coast nearly a week in advance that we would face the worst storm in our history.

We kind of lucked out that we didn't really have a hurricane season as there were many times where a storm could have hit the east coast. It makes we wonder if next year's hurricane season will come back with a vengeance.

The Atlantic basin has really been in a lull since the Cat 5 landfall in Mexico in 2007. The Caribbean and Gulf were both graveyards this year. Yet, the two Pacific basins, especially the W Pacific have seen some very intense systems. I still wouldn't totally rule November out for some type of homebrew or hybrid cyclone.

I know it's been talked to the point of cliche but the entire Sandy saga still blows my mind, especially the part where the Euro nailed, nailed the forecast WAY in advance.  And what could we do other than look at such a solution and think, "no, that's probably insane."

Runner-up mindblowing moments: Sandy strengthening in the Gulf stream and becoming a Category 2 like a day or so before landfall.  Recording record-low air pressures.  Standing on my lawn in the middle of the night as the wind roared and transformers popped CONSTANTLY all over the horizon.  What an experience... utterly surreal.

I know it's been talked to the point of cliche but the entire Sandy saga still blows my mind, especially the part where the Euro nailed, nailed the forecast WAY in advance.  And what could we do other than look at such a solution and think, "no, that's probably insane."

Runner-up mindblowing moments: Sandy strengthening in the Gulf stream and becoming a Category 2 like a day or so before landfall.  Recording record-low air pressures.  Standing on my lawn in the middle of the night as the wind roared and transformers popped CONSTANTLY all over the horizon.  What an experience... utterly surreal.

I was just looking at the track and saw that 100mph mark in the Gulf Stream. I was so caught up in the actual events to not realize that occured in detail. If you look at the satalite loops it was every bit of 100mph with that tight dense core. Pretty cool how the strongest winds were in the SW quadrent during the peak like you see with bombogenisis type cyclones in the mid latitudes. To much to explain why.

I was just looking at the track and saw that 100mph mark in the Gulf Stream. I was so caught up in the actual events to not realize that occured in detail. If you look at the satalite loops it was every bit of 100mph with that tight dense core. Pretty cool how the strongest winds were in the SW quadrent during the peak like you see with bombogenisis type cyclones in the mid latitudes. To much to explain why.

In a way we lucked out that there was not much rain northeast of the center and the boundary layer was stable enough to not allow the huge gusts just a few thousand feet up to mix down. Had Sandy occurred a month or two earlier, there could have been 100 mph gusts making it down rather than 85-90 mph, which would have been enough to tear some roofs off rather than just knock trees down.

The surge though, was 95% of the story with Sandy and deservedly so. I've made many posts about it but words really don't describe how devastated the shore communities such as my own community were by that surge. There are a number of "one year later" specials coming out describing how many people are in a situation where it may as well be the day after the storm because their homes are still uninhabitable. Many places really will never be the same again.

GFS and ECM have large cutooff into the west coast next week moving into the Plains and then up into the Midwest.  Subsequent ridging forces height to rise on the east coast by the 29/30th.   Both bring front through between Halloween and Nov 1st with decent precip potential.  Way out there but a few runs now hinting the break in the cold occurs before months end.  

The grass has barely grown in the past month. I had 1.9" in Sept and 0.95" in October.

I think that cutoff and eventual front shuld it progress as modeled will offr a decent chance of some good rains between Halloween and early november.  Beyond there we may see another cold blast before more warmer temps.  May be in a back and forth type pattern come November.

Not sure if this was posted already.

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/winter-forecast-for-20132014/

Accuweather winter 13-14 (issued 10/09.) says warm start for us then snow/cold  Jan.-Mar.     Their Hurricane Season forecast along with everyone else who made predictions was a fiasco,    4 majors and there were just 2 baby hurricanes!   ACE is just 30 currently out of an avg. 104, when 130 was predicted.    So what do they know!  The current Accuweather extended daily forecast into early Dec.  has no 32 reading in CPK till Dec. 01!   I have started a chart for myself to track their daily outlook for Thanksgiving Day, currently slated to be: low 45 high 51, periods of rain-just for fun to see how often and by how much it changes day to day.  

By the way Steve DiMartino, nynypaweather,  is relying heavily on the SSW Event now in progress, as the most important factor this season since we have a probable La Nada and weak MJO regardless of phase.   The Polar Vortex may break up into two lobes that are favorable for a cold North America, he thinks now.

Archived