• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere here yet, but October 2013 is shaping up to be an incredibly dry month. Just 0.39" at my station thus far. Looks like another dry week ahead too.

Here's a look at some of the driest October's in NYC history:

Driest 1963: 0.14, 1924: 0.28, 1879: 0.43, 1892: 0.59, 2001/1909: 0.66, 2000: 0.67, 1897: 0.72, 1918: 0.78, 1946: 0.85

Corresponding Winters for Central Park, NY:

1892-1893: 49.7"

1897-1898: 21.1"

1963-1964: 44.7"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really weird: EWR got down to 41, while LGA was stuck at 52. Does EWR typically radiate that much more than NYC and LGA? I figured those three sites would be much closer in temperature...

All three stations are hellholes that produce numbers which distort the climate record & people's perceptions.

All three stations are hellholes that produce numbers which distort the climate record & people's perceptions.

The fact that the respected Koppen Climate Classification System places NYC in the "sub-tropical" climate zone (same as Houston, Texas) is simply messed up.

NAM showing that we could get a half inch or more of rain Tuesday night into Wednesday. No one here buys it? I hope we get a decent amount. I want to go outside and mulch the leaves with the mower, but it's way too dry. Dry dirt would fly everywhere. We desperately need some rain to moisten the ground.

I for one am not buying the NAM. I expect sprinkles at the most!

But you're right, we need some rain. Those who do not have gardens don't take notice of these things.

I guess that the very wet streak that we experienced from 2003-2011 was bound to end or take a break

sometime.

attachicon.gif311.png

attachicon.gif12.png

attachicon.gif13.png

The recent dry period looks to be localized however, not indicative of a larger trend to rain more out West, etc. It seems to be mostly bad luck. Last winter could have been much better for many of us with slightly more blocking, or even the recent stalled out system could have been a deluge for us had the closed low feature been able to crawl slightly north, etc. I think over time it will all even out.

The recent dry period looks to be localized however, not indicative of a larger trend to rain more out West, etc. It seems to be mostly bad luck. Last winter could have been much better for many of us with slightly more blocking, or even the recent stalled out system could have been a deluge for us had the closed low feature been able to crawl slightly north, etc. I think over time it will all even out.

The past few years have been nothing but extremes in both directions. I wouldn't expect any less as this extended period of below average precip will likely be followed by an extended period of above average precip.

The past few years have been nothing but extremes in both directions. I wouldn't expect any less as this extended period of below average precip will likely be followed by an extended period of above average precip.

Last year's winter was not extreme in my opinion. It was a solid normal winter for a change. I'd say the rest of 2013's weather has followed suit with it's normal look other than some slightly abnormal dry stretches.

Last year's winter was not extreme in my opinion. It was a solid normal winter for a change. I'd say the rest of 2013's weather has followed suit with it's normal look other than some slightly abnormal dry stretches.

I would agree. This year hasn't been as wet, hasn't had many heatwaves, and has had a few below normal months. Essentially since the early season snowstorm last November its been much quieter.

I would agree. This year hasn't been as wet, hasn't had many heatwaves, and has had a few below normal months. Essentially since the early season snowstorm last November its been much quieter.

Well so far this month's heat has been record breaking and the dry conditions these past few months are nothing to sneeze at either. Extreme weather doesn't have to mean huge storms, 100s in the summer, or 0 to below zero in the winter, near record dry conditions and a near record warm month are extreme as well although the month will end up less extreme by the time it ends. 

I for one am not buying the NAM. I expect sprinkles at the most!

But you're right, we need some rain. Those who do not have gardens don't take notice of these things.

Yeah, extended dry weather is very irritating to those of us that have gardens. But at least the extended dry weather this season waited until the fall. We had plenty of rain during the summer. The lawns stayed green all summer, and I didn't have to water my vegetable garden much. Better to have the dry weather now in October when the crops are almost finished, than in the summer when you really need the rain.

But I do hope we get some tomorrow because again, I want to be able to mulch the leaves without dry dirt flying everywhere. It's bone dry. I hope we can somehow squeeze out a quarter inch, but it's not looking very likely. Probably just a few hundreths of an inch, barely enough to briefy wet the ground. We just can't buy any real rain this month.

Yeah, extended dry weather is very irritating to those of us that have gardens. But at least the extended dry weather this season waited until the fall. We had plenty of rain during the summer. The lawns stayed green all summer, and I didn't have to water my vegetable garden much. Better to have the dry weather now in October when the crops are almost finished, than in the summer when you really need the rain.

But I do hope we get some tomorrow because again, I want to be able to mulch the leaves without dry dirt flying everywhere. It's bone dry. I hope we can somehow squeeze out a quarter inch, but it's not looking very likely. Probably just a few hundreths of an inch, barely enough to briefy wet the ground. We just can't buy any real rain this month.

Out here the drought started in July. So its pretty serious and there will likely be a decent die-off of trees. Watching that shower dissapear this afternoon as it headed for the city was painfully to watch

Out here the drought started in July. So its pretty serious and there will likely be a decent die-off of trees. Watching that shower dissapear this afternoon as it headed for the city was painfully to watch

I was just down in Long Beach and the lawns look terrible from a combination of the dry conditions and the salt water damage

from Hurricane Sandy. The surge line was really obvious in spots as recently as the spring into summer.

This was a shot of a lawn that marks the surge elevation at Lincoln and Walnut back in April.

Archived