joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage 2013

Ian

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said the same thing last year. Lots of maples in the burbs.

Yeah that could be a big part of it. The 'natural' wooded areas around here never look as good as further north. Tho color was at least somewhat muted. Even some local trees show it going green to brown.

Sunrise itself wasn't the best but it was a beautiful morning on the Tidal Basin. Some really good color down there.. perhaps still a bit off peak but I like when there are greens left, plus I'm increasingly worried about any prolonged winds which might be on the way. Will try to get out again on Wed most likely.

Phone pic from later: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=663526507013272&set=a.659648060734450.1073741825.157306594301935&type=1&theater

I was not anticipating a good year for color, but I think it is the best in my 5 years in the burbs. 

After going to the mtns in recent weekends I have been fairly surprised with how good the color is close in comparatively.  I guess part of it is the natural trees aren't generally as colorful as some of the urban ones that are brought in etc., but it's definitely much better than I expected. 

The timing in my area is out of whack with some trees dropping them early and some hanging on longer than normal.  Overall it's been pretty.  Although there aren't but about 30-40% still holding leaves, what's there is very pretty.  Lots of gold, orange, and yellow, with some brilliant crimson sprinkled in.

One I posted to FB but not in the post for CWG (Kevin had a similar one already in there).  This is HDR, a scene you can't really get without some sort of tone mapping etc.  After shunning it for years it's been kind of fun to be able to get scenes with it recently--I do make it a goal to keep them real to life though. This one might need a little more work.. still learning best practices etc. End up with a number of "ruined images" that don't ever seem to come together right due to various HDR issues like haloing where darks meet lights etc. 

Anyway, too long an explanation for one photo but I guess I still have some reservations over HDR for some unknown reason -- in theory the technique is a digital way of doing what people like Ansel Adams did, there's just so much wild HDR stuff out there... like being called a storm chaser.

10680004134_11f0dbf415_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/10680004134/

One I posted to FB but not in the post for CWG (Kevin had a similar one already in there).  This is HDR, a scene you can't really get without some sort of tone mapping etc.  After shunning it for years it's been kind of fun to be able to get scenes with it recently--I do make it a goal to keep them real to life though. This one might need a little more work.. still learning best practices etc. End up with a number of "ruined images" that don't ever seem to come together right due to various HDR issues like haloing where darks meet lights etc. 

Anyway, too long an explanation for one photo but I guess I still have some reservations over HDR for some unknown reason -- in theory the technique is a digital way of doing what people like Ansel Adams did, there's just so much wild HDR stuff out there... like being called a storm chaser.

Very attractive Mr. Livingston. Love this.

Many folks have taken HDR too far and make images look terrible. If you haven't already, try the photomatix HDR software. I believe you can get a free trial.

Archived