• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage 2013

Ian

I work in Columbia, and over the years some of the best fall color in the area is in the older neighborhoods like Stevens Forest and Thunder Hill. Maybe it's because of the diversity and age of the trees, but the color seems to start early and hang on longer. The maples are already showing color in the tips, yet they won't peak until the end of October, and then a week or two later, the older oaks peak.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking about heading out there this fall. Will probably go during the week because I have heard it gets packed on the weekends.

Do no go there during prime weekends. You will regret it. Trust me. Mon-Tues are the 2 best days and go as early as possible. Even weekdays draw plenty of people when the sky is clear. 

I'm going to Vermont and Quebec in mid October...should be ok, but maybe a tad too late....

this was northern vermont back in nov 2 2005 after an early snowstorm, lower levels had some color still, higher peaks were bare. I think you would have some really decent color in 3.5 weeks or so Matt.

Stowe, VT in the lower elevations.

I think peak is around Oct 5-13 timeframe usually in Central VT-NH.

this was northern vermont back in nov 2 2005 after an early snowstorm, lower levels had some color still, higher peaks were bare. I think you would have some really decent color in 3.5 weeks or so Matt.

attachicon.gifSnow on ground Smugglers Notch.JPG

Stowe, VT in the lower elevations.

attachicon.gifStowe, VT 7.JPG

I think peak is around Oct 5-13 timeframe usually in Central VT-NH.

Cool. So you were there for the event too? We stayed on other side of mountain at Smuggs. Son had a great 2 weeks, first on Wednesday night (26th?, maybe it was Tuesday) we headed up to Snowshoe and he earned a few turns while the snow was falling. Then we already had a vacation planned to Smuggs starting that Saturday (29th), we arrived to no power so we headed to Killington which had opened and he got to ride there too...lucky break on our part. He got to 'play' in the snow at Smuggs for several more days that week until it melted away.

Great pics, Dave!

Hiked up to Comptons Peak yesterday in SNP.  Peak is around 2950'.  Temp at the trail head (2150') was 55F with total overcast.  A wonderful day weather-wise.  Up on the Drive the maples (of course, these already have color down here in the valley) and elms (I think) are showing good amount of color.  Those aren't the predominant trees there, though, so there isn't a great amount of color just yet.  I would think this coming weekend is going to be showtime, though.  Saturday's forecast here is upper 70s, so an escape up on the drive will be in the cards for me and the family.  Looking to take our 20 month old on a hike and picnic at Dickey Ridge (along with the other 250,000 people who'll be there).

Archived