joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall foliage 2013

Ian

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the color change is really slow this year.  Even the maples, which all do have some color, are generally pretty slow.  I'd say trees in HoCo are generally only 20-30% turned.  Probably will speed up with the chilly weather coming up next week.  

I'm going somewhere west on Sunday. Not sure where still. Have a car till 8:30, so if I leave early should be able to get to the good color and back in time.  Tho I'll be with dog and g/f so prob not ideal photo shooting conditions. ;) 

I'm going somewhere west on Sunday. Not sure where still. Have a car till 8:30, so if I leave early should be able to get to the good color and back in time.  Tho I'll be with dog and g/f so prob not ideal photo shooting conditions. ;)

you can probably find perfect conditions if you are willing to drive around a bit....get an elevation app....I use elevation pro....from my experience this week in New england and Canada, I thought the prettiest areas were peak or past peak...I think these peak charts are deceptive because there are so many variables, and they often aren't accurate....But I would say from my experience that fading peak is much better than nearing peak...but that could just be because fading peak is mostly in elevation.....My prediction is you will be disappointed unless you get pretty high up....GL

you can probably find perfect conditions if you are willing to drive around a bit....get an elevation app....I use elevation pro....from my experience this week in New england and Canada, I thought the prettiest areas were peak or past peak...I think these peak charts are deceptive because there are so many variables, and they often aren't accurate....But I would say from my experience that fading peak is much better than nearing peak...but that could just be because fading peak is mostly in elevation.....My prediction is you will be disappointed unless you get pretty high up....GL

If Melissa is cool with driving a long while each way would prob try to head out toward Canaan. If not, probably the higher areas around the WV/VA border.  If we leave by like 7 or 8a it shouldn't be much of an issue either way. Could always keep the car longer too if needed. Kinda just looking for a reason to get out of the city for a bit as much as anything... But yeah, fading peak is usually quite nice tho it can be patchy.  I kinda like the color from green to red etc if it's vibrant, but we don't get as good of color down here as up north it doesn't seem.  

If Melissa is cool with driving a long while each way would prob try to head out toward Canaan. If not, probably the higher areas around the WV/VA border.  If we leave by like 7 or 8a it shouldn't be much of an issue either way. Could always keep the car longer too if needed. Kinda just looking for a reason to get out of the city for a bit as much as anything... But yeah, fading peak is usually quite nice tho it can be patchy.  I kinda like the color from green to red etc if it's vibrant, but we don't get as good of color down here as up north it doesn't seem.  

Pinnacles at least is looking nice on the camera so far. 

pinnacles.jpg

Went to Skyline Drive yesterday -- first time I've been there. Awesome views! The colors seem a little dull overall most spots. But still quite pretty.  I don't usually take most of my pics midday as the light it harsh but it was a daytrip with the girlfriend and dog.  Wasn't overwhelmingly crowded but the more popular spots had a lot of people milling about.  Plus the random traffic jam for a black bear spotting etc. 

post-1615-0-82891900-1382372419_thumb.jp

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/10/21/photos-from-skyline-drive-near-peak-foliage-color-working-its-way-toward-the-lowlands/

A group of friends and I were out for our annual camping trip near Luray for the weekend and hiked Old Rag on Friday.  Like Ian said, colors were a little dull, but still a great time of year to get out and enjoy the weather.  Here are a couple of pictures from that hike.

A friend in one of the granite slots.
post-1326-0-67052900-1382380421_thumb.jp

Me being chivalrous and holding up a rock for my girlfriend to safely pass.

post-1326-0-24836400-1382380336_thumb.jp

Lol.  Thanks for the comments.  It's hard not to get good photos on Old Rag.  I'd recommend it to anyone, just get there early and try to avoid weekends.  Here are a few other pics from the weekend.

More from Old Rag.

post-1326-0-84109500-1382400104_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-64018700-1382400333_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-62902900-1382400135_thumb.jp

These last few are from the George Washington National Forest.  I prefer this area over the crowded Skyline Drive during the fall weekends.  This is from Strickler's Knob.

post-1326-0-53439100-1382400160_thumb.jp

And the last two are from hike that few people know about, or at least it seems that way because it's never crowded.  It has a really fun class III rock scramble that ends on Duncan's Knob.  I don't really know what a class III rock scramble is, but it's pretty cool.

post-1326-0-23114500-1382400179_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-14735200-1382400190_thumb.jp

Early plan is to head out Saturday with Kevin Ambrose. His thought was somewhere near Capon Springs. Seems pretty decent to me.. will have to do a bit of research.  Always good to go out with a photog so you can bring the tripod and take more than 10 seconds framing a shot. :P

Went up to Capon Springs WV. Color was generally blah and mostly past peak around there. Winds apparently did a number this week. Cool area though. Got at least a few shots plus free dinner!

Archived