• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

Every single day is perfect and has fantastic weather. You're crazy if you think upper 50s/lower 60s, cloudy, high RH and spotty showers is a sub-par May afternoon.

Ponies only make the situation more gloomy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every single day is perfect and has fantastic weather. You're crazy if you think upper 50s/lower 60s, cloudy, high RH and spotty showers is a sub-par May afternoon.

This weather happens every may. It's not some sudden surprise. Easterly flow overcast days are a lock in May

This weather happens every may. It's not some sudden surprise. Easterly flow overcast days are a lock in May

Does that disqualify us from wishing it was better?

It's not so much that people aren't expecting it as just wanting better weather.

Your first reply in this thread was to complain about how a nice, mostly sunny day was a bit too humid with dews in the mid 40s, and now you're chastising us for wanting highs to be closer to normal?

Does that disqualify us from wishing it was better?

It's not so much that people aren't expecting it as just wanting better weather.

Your first reply in this thread was to complain about how a nice, mostly sunny day was a bit too humid with dews in the mid 40s, and now you're chastising us for wanting highs to be closer to normal?

Pretty sure his first reply in this thread was a joke.

Well, 2.30 inches of rain in a bit more than 24 hours here, creeks and rivers up quite a bit. So who is complaining about a little drizzle and dampness again?

BTW, agree with you Ian ponies (with pink hair?) only add to the gloominess.

Looks like another line headed right towards me, might get interesting this afternoon.

I think its been a pretty average May, I'd be happier with it a bit cooler but I'll take what I can get, and yes I'm one of those that hates above 80 and thinks 32 and below is a great winter day.

(BTW the sub heading is excellent, I vote to leave it the rest of the month)

Awful day today.  Miserable cold for anyone having to stand around watching a kid lacrosse game.  A lot of people under blankets drinking hot chocolate and shivering.  Most everyone there saying how sick they are of this weather we've had, and are ready for 70s and 80s.  Can't say I disagree.  The sunny days have been OK, but I would be happier with warmer temps.  And the cloudy days like today have sucked.  Average high for today is 75 degrees.  Only in the upper 50s this afternoon, and with the drizzle/fog/breeze, pretty raw.

You seem to have a band of acceptable weather that is about 1 inch wide. You complain about the rest.

My ideal spring temps are highs from 65 to 75.  Through Mar/Apr at DCA, the years with the most counts of those days (29) are 2012, 2006, 1968 and 1921.  2013?  Only 14 such days.  I'm willing to toss 2012 because it was too warm too early, but 2006 was a damn nice spring.  Only a handful of 80s until the very end of May. 

It's interesting to note that, after adjusting for the fact that May contains one more day than April, May precipitation has averaged 15.5% higher historically in DC.  And, during 1981-2010, that jumped to 26%.  "April showers bring May flowers?"  More like "April dryness brings May wetness."

Right-- and that's why the majority of the population don't get all into weather boards in the first place. 

But for the people who do post regularly on one, there's obviously going to be a lean towards something the general public doesn't appreciate as much... Severe weather, snowstorms, hurricanes, etc. 

For me, last week through the weekend was about as perfect Spring weather as you could get... comfortable whenever the sun came out with short sleeves and jeans; light jacket when it was cloudy. 

Completely agree that last week was great spring weather, but as we get closer to Memorial Day, people (myself included) are thinking about heading down to the water.  An easterly/northeasterly flow off the cold Atlantic, under an air mass that is only supporting highs in the 60s inland, isn't ideal, for obvious reasons.  And like most here, I also lean towards interesting weather events.  However, drizzle and chilly like it was yesterday doesn't really tally for me as an interesting weather event.

Woken up by loud thunder this morning. Shook the whole house.  :thumbsup:

This is a real wet pattern for the east slopes of the mountains.  The upper low and deep easterly component can cause significant rains in the warm season.  That's why the nws has a watch for much of southwest Va.  As much rain as you might get with this storm, it's a good thing it's not late June as the pattern isn't too different from June 23, 1995 except that in late June the PWs are higher so there is more moisture to work with.   The June 23 event had an earthen dam fail.  It's one of those events that is etched into my brain.

This is a real wet pattern for the east slopes of the mountains.  The upper low and deep easterly component can cause significant rains in the warm season.  That's why the nws has a watch for much of southwest Va.  As much rain as you might get with this storm, it's a good thing it's not late June as the pattern isn't too different from June 23, 1995 except that in late June the PWs are higher so there is more moisture to work with.   The June 23 event had an earthen dam fail.  It's one of those events that is etched into my brain.

It's a great low level flow direction for my area as well.  Precip on this trajectory rarely comes up short out here.  I guess its a general upslope flow and the blue ridge isn't high enough to dampen it this far north.  I'm expecting big rain totals from this if it is as slow to move out of here as it is forecast to do.

All I know is that it is pouring outside! No clue how much has fallen as I am at work...wait...yeah the weatherbug site just down the road from me at work has 0.50 now and a .36/hour rate.

We may have bigger water issues than we currently have if this keeps up.

Usedtobe- my S-I-L lives just down the road from where that event took place in June 1995,  if I remember right a firefighter lost his life when the wall of water from that dambreak crossed 460 and wiped several cars off road and carried them downstream.

All I know is that it is pouring outside! No clue how much has fallen as I am at work...wait...yeah the weatherbug site just down the road from me at work has 0.50 now and a .36/hour rate.

We may have bigger water issues than we currently have if this keeps up.

Usedtobe- my S-I-L lives just down the road from where that event took place in June 1995,  if I remember right a firefighter lost his life when the wall of water from that dambreak crossed 460 and wiped several cars off road and carried them downstream.

I think there were 3 deaths but I could be wrong. I remember seeing pictures of the damage.  I think there were two flash floods that month, one with the dam break and the other was the madison county flood which had west coast type of mud slides.  I remember hearing that a guy lost his wife and daughter in the Madison County flood when his house was destroyed by a mudslide.  His church bought him another home and he lost it during Fran.  Talk about bad luck.

It's not like its a great day but not sure what people expect in spring. Our most consistent 70s are usually in fall. Spring tends to bounce around a lot. The previous 5 days were superb but there were still "oh I wish it was 5 degrees warmer or less windy" comments.

Why can't someone make a comment about wanting it to be more perfect than nearly perfect?

Archived