• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

Matt, what's the longest DC has gone to start the month of May before hitting 80? I don't think you've hit it yet, right?

That's a good question. I don't think it is that rare. I know a few years back we had a 20-day stretch in May with no 80.

Sounds like May 2003, notorious for an approx three week stretch with almost no sun.

yeah..2003 was a special spring and special year in general for a number of reasons...It was actually 2006 when we had the stretch...I think until the central and lower plains get wet again, we are going to have occasional massive heat....doing a cursory look we had only 4 80 degree days in May 2003, 2005 which were extremely cold Mays...I haven't found a month with less than 4....

I don't really care much about the monthly anomaly...I'd much rather have a cool may spoiled by a 2-4 day stretch of 90-95 than a consistently warm one..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah..2003 was a special spring and special year in general for a number of reasons...It was actually 2006 when we had the stretch...I think until the central and lower plains get wet again, we are going to have occasional massive heat....doing a cursory look we had only 4 80 degree days in May 2003, 2005 which were extremely cold Mays...I haven't found a month with less than 4....

I don't really care much about the monthly anomaly...I'd much rather have a cool may spoiled by a 2-4 day stretch of 90-95 than a consistently warm one..

1924 only had two.  Five others predating that also had 4 only. 

As far as getting later into May without an 80, it is actually relatively common to make it at least mid-month.  1998, 1995, 1994, 1989, 1981, 1975, 1974 and a bunch of others made it to at least the 14th.  The latest I could find was May 25th, 1935. 

Today will make 19 consecutive days without hitting 80

Unusual, but in 1975, the first 80+ day of the year at DCA was May 14th, at 81.  I believe that is the latest first 80+ reading of the year in DC history. Also, I believe that the longest stretch in DC history without an 80+ day was September 28, 1874 to May 8, 1875.  September 27, 1874 was 80, but the next 80+ day was May 9, 1875, at 86 -- a stretch of 7 months and 12 days between 80+ days. 

GFS is starting to advertise a pretty sizeable ridge taking over the eastern half of the country down the road. One more shot of nice cooler spring air before we get there. Maybe real heat holds off till late in the month.

I'm going down the OBX the week of 5/21 so I'm hoping for the warmup, unlike any other spring

I'll pull the plug reluctantly and reschedule if things don't change by the weekend of the 17th

1924 only had two.  Five others predating that also had 4 only. 

As far as getting later into May without an 80, it is actually relatively common to make it at least mid-month.  1998, 1995, 1994, 1989, 1981, 1975, 1974 and a bunch of others made it to at least the 14th.  The latest I could find was May 25th, 1935. 

Nice..thanks

i was looking at temp and 500 anomalies for 2003 last night.. doing a series on the top tornado months (2003 is #1 for May). 

was sorta surprised with how the map looked. guess we just had a lucky set of conditions for the outbreaks. haven't done the detail yet.

Looks like we are going to have a nice fat negative May departure through mid-month. Here's hoping we don't erase it with the warmth afterwards.

Sure does. Early next week looks like we could have a day or 2 in the -10 range. Models are even hinting that the 850 0c line goes south of us. I don't pay much attention to things like that in May but I can't imagine it being all that common. 

Still signs of ul ridging down the road. Hopefully that won't include any upper 80s+.

Awful day today.  Miserable cold for anyone having to stand around watching a kid lacrosse game.  A lot of people under blankets drinking hot chocolate and shivering.  Most everyone there saying how sick they are of this weather we've had, and are ready for 70s and 80s.  Can't say I disagree.  The sunny days have been OK, but I would be happier with warmer temps.  And the cloudy days like today have sucked.  Average high for today is 75 degrees.  Only in the upper 50s this afternoon, and with the drizzle/fog/breeze, pretty raw.

Awful day today. Miserable cold for anyone having to stand around watching a kid lacrosse game. A lot of people under blankets drinking hot chocolate and shivering. Most everyone there saying how sick they are of this weather we've had, and are ready for 70s and 80s. Can't say I disagree. The sunny days have been OK, but I would be happier with warmer temps. And the cloudy days like today have sucked. Average high for today is 75 degrees. Only in the upper 50s this afternoon, and with the drizzle/fog/breeze, pretty raw.

This area is full of complainers

Awful day today. Miserable cold for anyone having to stand around watching a kid lacrosse game. A lot of people under blankets drinking hot chocolate and shivering. Most everyone there saying how sick they are of this weather we've had, and are ready for 70s and 80s. Can't say I disagree. The sunny days have been OK, but I would be happier with warmer temps. And the cloudy days like today have sucked. Average high for today is 75 degrees. Only in the upper 50s this afternoon, and with the drizzle/fog/breeze, pretty raw.

This area is full of complainers

For reals, it wasn't cold at all. Sure the sun would have been nice but it was still a comfortable day outside

For reals, it wasn't cold at all. Sure the sun would have been nice but it was still a comfortable day outside

It's not like its a great day but not sure what people expect in spring. Our most consistent 70s are usually in fall. Spring tends to bounce around a lot. The previous 5 days were superb but there were still "oh I wish it was 5 degrees warmer or less windy" comments.

It's not like its a great day but not sure what people expect in spring. Our most consistent 70s are usually in fall. Spring tends to bounce around a lot. The previous 5 days were superb but there were still "oh I wish it was 5 degrees warmer or less windy" comments.

It felt fine outside here. Chilly doesn't even remotely reflect the temps. I would call it just right. It is what the Monterrey Peninsula is like year round. 80 degrees and the AC goes on. Ugh.

And those doing that complaining will be the first ones crying when it's 95 with no possible way to enjoy being outside.

Hey... it's a weather board.  Not much else in the way of weather to discuss right now.

And for those saying it was a comfortable day out - you're probably in the city where it's warmer.  The sea of parents huddled under blankets out here this afternoon would argue against that premise.  As does a -15 departure for the high temperature, and a drizzle making for a raw day.

This forum is so funny - people saying how miserably hot they get when the temperature goes above 70, and saying how wonderful it is when it's 25 degrees and windy in winter.  And basically stating that everyone else who thinks otherwise are wrong.  Strange points of view here.  Not the majority view at all.

And those doing that complaining will be the first ones crying when it's 95 with no possible way to enjoy being outside.

Isn't there a middle ground between 55 and 95 where most people outside this forum would be comfortable... like, say, 75 degrees?

Isn't there a middle ground between 55 and 95 where most people outside this forum would be comfortable... like, say, 75 degrees?

70-75 would be fine with me. Through about early November. Then I hope it's 12 and snows every day until April.

Hey... it's a weather board. Not much else in the way of weather to discuss right now.

And for those saying it was a comfortable day out - you're probably in the city where it's warmer. The sea of parents huddled under blankets out here this afternoon would argue against that premise. As does a -15 departure for the high temperature, and a drizzle making for a raw day.

This forum is so funny - people saying how miserably hot they get when the temperature goes above 70, and saying how wonderful it is when it's 25 degrees and windy in winter. And basically stating that everyone else who thinks otherwise are wrong. Strange points of view here. Not the majority view at all.

My pt is some are shooting for something that is not really typical. I know what the avg is but it's made up of a mix of warm and cool days mostly. Given we just had 5 awesome days we are probably due 5 crappy ones.

I'm sure it would have been more pleasant if it was 75 and sunny today. No doubt there.

I'm rooting for an EC ridge more than anyone. Well maybe less than Mark he is weenieing out.

Hey... it's a weather board.  Not much else in the way of weather to discuss right now.

And for those saying it was a comfortable day out - you're probably in the city where it's warmer.  The sea of parents huddled under blankets out here this afternoon would argue against that premise.  As does a -15 departure for the high temperature, and a drizzle making for a raw day.

This forum is so funny - people saying how miserably hot they get when the temperature goes above 70, and saying how wonderful it is when it's 25 degrees and windy in winter.  And basically stating that everyone else who thinks otherwise are wrong.  Strange points of view here.  Not the majority view at all.

Right-- and that's why the majority of the population don't get all into weather boards in the first place. 

But for the people who do post regularly on one, there's obviously going to be a lean towards something the general public doesn't appreciate as much... Severe weather, snowstorms, hurricanes, etc. 

For me, last week through the weekend was about as perfect Spring weather as you could get... comfortable whenever the sun came out with short sleeves and jeans; light jacket when it was cloudy. 

Archived