joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are 1 mile from skyline dr. Head up there if it isnt closed. If its closed head up there tomorrow morning. I am sure its heavy up on top of the mountains. I just passed 12" for the event.

Unless I misread, Skyline Drive closed last night at 5 pm, and, as far as I know, it has not yet reopened.  It makes sense.  It can be tricky at times in perfect weather, and, with 1+ feet of snow, it is going to be treacherous at best, if not completely impassable (except maybe in a Sno Cat).   

Heavy/moderate snow has been falling here for the past two hours. I am in Herdon. The road in front of my apartment in snow covered. The plows have been by a few times. I can see 267 from the windows in our stairwell, and the cars were moving along pretty well the last time I checked.

How much you got on the grass

i think the low was too close for comfort, and there wasn't a lot of cold air wrapping into this thing.  seems like this is mostly elevation driven.  pretty much the story of the season except this just has a lot more moisture.  similar result though.

Good points.  I also think that there is too much of an easterly or even ESE wind there, while the N/W suburbs of DC and points SW have more of a ENE or northerly component, which helps draw the cold in, keeping them all SN.  When the models shifted the fall line SE yesterday, we expected that to happen when in reality the fall line seems to be right along I-95.  The low is so close to Richmond and yet they are getting SN, reporting north winds.

Good points.  I also think that there is too much of an easterly or even ESE wind there, while the N/W suburbs of DC and points SW have more of a ENE or northerly component, which helps draw the cold in, keeping them all SN.  When the models shifted the fall line SE yesterday, we expected that to happen when in reality the fall line seems to be right along I-95. 

It is raining up into York, PA. The fall line is not the exact marker. There is some sort of weird N/S orientation going on.

Unless I misread, Skyline Drive closed last night at 5 pm, and, as far as I know, it has not yet reopened.  It makes sense.  It can be tricky at times in perfect weather, and, with 1+ feet of snow, it is going to be treacherous at best, if not completely impassable (except maybe in a Sno Cat).   

Didnt know they closed it already. Makes sense. They clean the park up very quickly. It will be open tomorrow I'm sure.

Archived