joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4" in Springfield and nothing in Alexandria.  Isn't Springfield just west of Alexandria? Is this just a west-east thing or an urban/suburban thing? 

Southwest of Alexandria depending on where you are.  I have no idea why this is the case.  I feel bad for folks that are 10 miles east of me (if that) and are reporting rain.

Dover radar filling in, pushing into DC area... looking great for N/W suburbs of DC.  Hope Balt I-95 corridor flips before the stuff on Dover radar arrives.

Yes, everything is aligning now for dc proper n-w. I'm in heaviest rates since I woke up. Still about 1/2 mile though. 

I am looking forward to the flip from moderate rain to heavy rain. It's over for those within the city corridor.

Well I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that the Balt city corridor is still rain.  When we do a post mortem, I will look closely to see what exactly went wrong there compared to the i-95 corridor from DC southward into central VA.  Hopefully I will learn something.

Well I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that the Balt city corridor is still rain.  When we do a post mortem, I will look closely to see what exactly went wrong there compared to the i-95 corridor from DC southward into central VA.  Hopefully I will learn something.

i think the low was too close for comfort, and there wasn't a lot of cold air wrapping into this thing.  seems like this is mostly elevation driven.  pretty much the story of the season except this just has a lot more moisture.  similar result though.

Honestly my wife sent me that...when I left at about 5am, I had about 2-3 on the car so it's gotta be more...but it appears it's compacting so much because it's sopping wet.

Doubtful it's too much more than that, if you go by other obs from around us. Those of us in Fairfax County who had a few inches as of 4-5:00 haven't gotten much more than an inch or so since then. We had a real lull for a few hours before the bands started rotating in.

Why? The storm is just starting for DC...tons of heavy precip rotating in on DOX....and you have the pivot of the deformation band near RIC.

Temps suck. We are already in big returns and they are heavy rain. 

Only hope is that later on temps crash as the storm wraps around and we get a few hours of heavy snow.

i think the low was too close for comfort, and there wasn't a lot of cold air wrapping into this thing.  seems like this is mostly elevation driven.  pretty much the story of the season except this just has a lot more moisture.  similar result though.

The low is pretty close to Richmond and they are getting blitzed.

Archived