northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hills in Somers, Stafford, Union & Woodstock are all several hundred feet higher.  All in NE CT.  In fact, the highest hill is 500' higher:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burley_Hill,_Connecticut

The highest point in Rhode Island is Jerimoth Hill at 812' and it's actually lower in elevation than I am. I joked with my son when we visited the high point that we would be at a lower elevation than our house is. If Northeastern Connecticut gets up to 1,315' that's several hundred feet higher. 

The NAM run is just going to be silly with the precip. s/w better interacts this run. The elephant in the room is the 8h temps, but other than that all guns are a blazing.

I wonder if its an extremely thin layer of mid level warmth..like it was showing last night. If so we may be able to overcome it.

Still thinking this is the bigger headline for this event...

...COASTAL FLOODING AND SEVERE BEACH EROSION LIKELY DURING THEHIGH TIDES FROM THURSDAY MORNING TO FRIDAY MORNING....MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY ALONG MUCH OF THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST DURING THE THURSDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE.MINOR TO MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY FOR THE THURSDAYEVENING HIGH TIDE...AND MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING ISANTICIPATED FOR THE FRIDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE ALONG THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST. THE STORM SURGE IS PROJECTED TO BE2.5 TO 3 FEET AT MOST EAST COAST LOCATIONS FROM THURSDAY MORNINGTHROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. WAVES OFFSHORE WILL LIKELY REACH 25 TO30 FEET...HIGHEST THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THISCOULD BECOME A DANGEROUS COASTAL FLOOD SITUATION ESPECIALLY SINCEMANY AREAS ARE STILL VULNERABLE AFTER THE FEBRUARY 9 STORM TIDE.THERE IS ALSO AN EROSION CONCERN FOR BLOCK ISLAND WHERE A COASTALFLOOD ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT. THERE ARE SOME VULNERABLE AREASON BLOCK ISLAND DUE TO SANDY.

This is what they do in Winthrop (Yirrell Beach) to brace for the storm.  The other two attached pictures are from Nemo.  

post-8560-0-03798200-1362600635_thumb.jp

post-8560-0-67351000-1362600743_thumb.jp

post-8560-0-20756200-1362600744_thumb.jp

I wonder if its an extremely thin layer of mid level warmth..like it was showing last night. If so we may be able to overcome it.

Somehow you and I will be at 32.00001 and rain chutes late tonight...lol.  I do worry about us, NW not so much.

NAM says hold the phone on my top 10 storm.  (aside of the warmth)

Euro ensembles are out...

0.50" from SFM-CON-DDH

0.75" from PSM-MHT-AFN-BAF-HVN

1.00" from LWM-ORH-Old Lyme CT

1.50" from BOS-PVD-WST

2.00" from GHG-TAN-UUU and eastward

Do you believe the N/W extent of the precip shield advertised there,  and are there any possible nw outliers skewing?   that's a little surprising but obviously good, lines up fairly well with the NAM.

The NAM run is just going to be silly with the precip.  s/w better interacts this run.  The elephant in the room is the 8h temps, but other than that all guns are a blazing.

It's getting there on the thermal profile but still, we toss.  It's magnitudes warmer than everything else at h85.

Are you in Stamford, CT?  3.5 - 10" for storm total and you go with 2.5" total or just from the initial coastal impact??  Do you have any elevation where you're at? I think I would go 1-4" storm total from south to north near the CT shore.  Warm surface temps plus modest QPF.

Yes, I'm in Stamford, only in Lake Placid some weekends for skiing. 2.5" is just for tonight, if I had to give one number for the trough I'd go 3.5" for 6" total. Some elevation, not too much, but we usually don't have temp issues the way parts of Long Island do... I think QPF is going to be a bigger problem than temps with this. I'm assuming that the 1-4" is for tonight only?

Archived