• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Now that I have correct EURO info, going 1.5-5" tonight, and 2-5" for the trough... (1.5-5" is a huge range, but I think it's just as likely that we get 1.5" as that we get 5". if I had to go with one number it would be around 2.5", I'm optimistic on this one, but I could bust easily.)

-skisheep

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure? NYC forum says .32" on the EURO through 7AM tomorrow and another .4" after that, total is about .75" for the two events, and I would guess we are a bit higher out east. Is the cutoff with tonight so sharp that NYC gets .32 and we/I get nothing?

-skisheep

AG3 cleared it up............mis information was given out in the nyc thread earlier.

Based on http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?map=akq

and this

I'd say the firehose is overperforming so far.  System is winding up quite nicely.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p06&cycle=12ℑ=gfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_006_precip_p06.gif

Also, I'd say the NAM was doing okay with the track, GFS too far south again.   Certainly so far bodes well for the more aggressive solutions.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=nam&area=namer&param=precip_p06&cycle=12ℑ=nam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_006_precip_p06.gif

Still thinking this is the bigger headline for this event...

...COASTAL FLOODING AND SEVERE BEACH EROSION LIKELY DURING THEHIGH TIDES FROM THURSDAY MORNING TO FRIDAY MORNING....MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY ALONG MUCH OF THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST DURING THE THURSDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE.MINOR TO MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY FOR THE THURSDAYEVENING HIGH TIDE...AND MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING ISANTICIPATED FOR THE FRIDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE ALONG THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST. THE STORM SURGE IS PROJECTED TO BE2.5 TO 3 FEET AT MOST EAST COAST LOCATIONS FROM THURSDAY MORNINGTHROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. WAVES OFFSHORE WILL LIKELY REACH 25 TO30 FEET...HIGHEST THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THISCOULD BECOME A DANGEROUS COASTAL FLOOD SITUATION ESPECIALLY SINCEMANY AREAS ARE STILL VULNERABLE AFTER THE FEBRUARY 9 STORM TIDE.THERE IS ALSO AN EROSION CONCERN FOR BLOCK ISLAND WHERE A COASTALFLOOD ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT. THERE ARE SOME VULNERABLE AREASON BLOCK ISLAND DUE TO SANDY.

Now that I have correct EURO info, going 1.5-5" tonight, and 2-5" for the trough... (1.5-5" is a huge range, but I think it's just as likely that we get 1.5" as that we get 5". if I had to go with one number it would be around 2.5", I'm optimistic on this one, but I could bust easily.)

-skisheep

Are you in Stamford, CT?  3.5 - 10" for storm total and you go with 2.5" total or just from the initial coastal impact??  Do you have any elevation where you're at? I think I would go 1-4" storm total from south to north near the CT shore.  Warm surface temps plus modest QPF.

Imby question. Why wouldn't the hills in NE Ct do well on easterly upslope? They're higher than NW Ri by several hundred feet at least. I understand on a NE flow but on an east flow why wouldn't our hills also do the same?

You aren't high enough over the RI hills to benefit from it and are too far removed from them...if you sat at 1,000 feet 5-10 miles west of them you would be a lot better off and really benefit...you will do OK, but a lot of the precip gets wrung out before it reaches your area from a strict upslope perspective.

You aren't high enough over the RI hills to benefit from it and are too far removed from them...if you sat at 1,000 feet 5-10 miles west of them you would be a lot better off and really benefit...you will do OK, but a lot of the precip gets wrung out before it reaches your area from a strict upslope perspective.

and you're not several hundred feet higher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerimoth_Hill

devastating bust for portions of the M/A.   Have to feel a little heavy hearted for those folk.    However, as they say.."hope" should be left for church on Sundays.  It doesn't belong in forecasting, that's for sure.

I think Foxborough could get smoked...back into Accordian Champion's BY in N RI. BOS def has more Scooter cuation flags, but I'd be hitting it hard for interior SE MA...esp areas that have elevation like Foxborough. NW RI could do very well also...they are a pretty good upslope spot on easterly flow.

Back at my house? 4-8? 5-10?

the euro has nearly due north surface winds.  Will upslope be much of a factor? 

If the LLJ between 925-850 is more out of the east or northeast then it still becomes a factor due to friction. But as the sfc wind turns more northerly, the effect will def diminish. Its greatest impact is early on. Its also more of a factor in events where we don't have larger scale lifting mechanisms like a big mesoband from ML fronto.

Still thinking this is the bigger headline for this event...

...COASTAL FLOODING AND SEVERE BEACH EROSION LIKELY DURING THEHIGH TIDES FROM THURSDAY MORNING TO FRIDAY MORNING....MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY ALONG MUCH OF THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST DURING THE THURSDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE.MINOR TO MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING IS LIKELY FOR THE THURSDAYEVENING HIGH TIDE...AND MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING ISANTICIPATED FOR THE FRIDAY MORNING HIGH TIDE ALONG THEMASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST. THE STORM SURGE IS PROJECTED TO BE2.5 TO 3 FEET AT MOST EAST COAST LOCATIONS FROM THURSDAY MORNINGTHROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. WAVES OFFSHORE WILL LIKELY REACH 25 TO30 FEET...HIGHEST THURSDAY AFTERNOON INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THISCOULD BECOME A DANGEROUS COASTAL FLOOD SITUATION ESPECIALLY SINCEMANY AREAS ARE STILL VULNERABLE AFTER THE FEBRUARY 9 STORM TIDE.THERE IS ALSO AN EROSION CONCERN FOR BLOCK ISLAND WHERE A COASTALFLOOD ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT. THERE ARE SOME VULNERABLE AREASON BLOCK ISLAND DUE TO SANDY.
Yea.....this the culmination of a 5 month assault, headed by Sandy and the blizzard...

Also look at it from a cross-barrier flow potential... the NE CT hills aren't as much north-south running as further north along the ORH hills, they bend SW-NE axis in CT on a topo-map.  I'd assume a southerly flow to SSE/SE would do them much better than a more true easterly component just looking at the geography.  You want the most change in elevation as possible and you want it to be perpendicular to the prolonged flow.  So like sea level to 700ft is going to give a terrain change of 700ft, rather than 700-1000ft which is only 300ft.

Plus anything upstream always sort of hampers any enhancement downstream...similar to why the Worcester Ridgeline (3-3,600ft ridgeline up here, parallel to the true Spine but east) gets like half the snow that the actual Green Mountain Spine gets, even though its a very lofty N-S ridgeline. 

Archived