northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen...I'm not trolling at all, I swear to GOD.  I hope you guys do better than us (well, some of you I hope for, others not so much).  But don't trust the NAM thermals.  Just don't.   Other than that, good luck to you all.

I could not love your avatar and the text below it more. Hilarious.

Thanks, sorry it didn't work out. 

What was the biggest problem with the NAM?   Obviously too wet, but too warm or too cold?

NAM too cold.  GFS moved too cold and too wet.  No area is the same, so it may do better up there.

They've been pretty terrible all winter. They did ok in the blizzard...but I def do not trust them. I'd prob hit the Euro hard and maybe warm the thermal profiles just a hair.

Smart man

Yea, that is what I gathered....Will said that they had beefed up.

They beefed up their 24h qpf...I was looking at the early ncep maps which only have 24h precip and not total precip. Basically it means the SREFs had a heavier period of precip in there vs the 09z run...even if total precip was perhaps 2% less than 09z.

Regardless, it means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things...at least from my own forecasting perspective.

Really, Chaplin is a cool place , love the little rivers around there. One of my good friends runs the packy. What is you forecast for Ledyard area by the way?

A little tonight, 1-2, perhaps 3" tonight, another 1-3" tomorrow night. I'm going to hopefully put together two separate maps once I review more data, so don't hold me to those numbers right now. The one map is kind of misleading since some daytime melting and compaction takes place tomorrow.

Why is the NAM constantly throwing that piece of moisture down towards New York City and around to Pennsylvania? It's trying to give NYC 20 Bleeping inches of Snow now!!!!

Largely because it sucks.

(kidding, there's going to be a pretty intense band as the other s/w approaches...haven't been paying attention but I'm sure Ryan and Quincy have)

Yes, I'm in Stamford, only in Lake Placid some weekends for skiing. 2.5" is just for tonight, if I had to give one number for the trough I'd go 3.5" for 6" total. Some elevation, not too much, but we usually don't have temp issues the way parts of Long Island do... I think QPF is going to be a bigger problem than temps with this. I'm assuming that the 1-4" is for tonight only?

I was thinking storm total.

Obviously the NAM would suggest that is too low.

I can't wait to read Uptons take around 430

I don't envy them right now one bit, this is a really tricky forecast for down here. My guess is that they hold roughly serve on their map, maybe drop totals a bit. They were riding the EURO pretty hard, intresting to see if they keep it despite some pointing out it's flaws down south compared to radar...

I'd go 50/50 EURO/everything else, but who knows at this point, time to watch and let it all unfold...

-skisheep

Why is the NAM constantly throwing that piece of moisture down towards New York City and around to Pennsylvania? It's trying to give NYC 20 Bleeping inches of Snow now!!!!

Are you crazy?  I'm not sure the NAM gives NYC much snow at all.  Model QPF does not equal snow.  The first 24 to 30 hours on the NAM are probably rain/non accumulating snow for the NYC area.  It's just too warm in the lowest levels.  Thereafter it could snow if rates are heavy like the NAM shows, but we're talking 6:1 or 8:1 ratios.  6" would be a huge accomplishment.

I don't envy them right now one bit, this is a really tricky forecast for down here. My guess is that they hold roughly serve on their map, maybe drop totals a bit. They were riding the EURO pretty hard, intresting to see if they keep it despite some pointing out it's flaws down south compared to radar...

I'd go 50/50 EURO/everything else, but who knows at this point, time to watch and let it all unfold...

-skisheep

upton dropped out east held west maybe upped a hair

Archived