• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

New thread. We have set up a specific storm banter thread to keep the banter down in these threads. We're going to start cracking down more as this event unfolds. Please stay on topic.

Banter thread

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39594-march-6-8-storm-banter/

Prior discussion thread

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39579-march-6-8th-ocean-storm-discussion-part-ii/

SREFs will be rolling out shortly.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the 00z guidance starts coming in...here's where we stood at 18z:

12z GGEM: Scraper...fairly low impact for snow

12z Ukie: Moderate hit, moderate impact, perhaps higher interior elevated

12z Euro/ENS: Scraper...fairly low impact for snow (ensembles a tad more bullish)

18z RGEM: At least moderate and probable high impact snow (only goes to 48 hours)

15z SREFs: High impact snow...potentially historic for some

18z NAM: High impact snow...potentially historic for some

18z GFS/GEFS: High impact snow...potentially historic for some

Clearly the foreign guidance is far less threatening than the NCEP guidance, however, the Ukie and 18z RGEM did make big jumps toward the NCEP guidance...GGEM and Euro made jumps toward it as well, but are still quite far apart.

Almost all of these solutuons had at least moderate impact in terms of coastal flooding/beach erosion due to long duration fetch...the more amped up solutions were a bit worse, but even the scrapers will cause some issues on the coast.

Yep, safe play.

I don't think you guys saw the Boston stations. Jerry and I don't ever say much about the news here. They weren't far off from about as much drama as a passing flurry. Just doesn't do the potential justice is all.

I sympathize somewhat, because we (NWS) can discuss uncertainty and it is understood and accepted. The TV guys can't get away with it as much. However, they could easily set some vague goal posts and continue to narrow the forecast down.

Probably should also toss out there that the 18z gfs lost the vortmax over ny state that it had for the prior several runs. I am expecting a correction SE on the 0z suite from ncep but I may well be wrong, just my thoughts.

This is a thread about forecast discussion so that's mine. If the gfs stays with not having as much energy in NYS I think some of the mechanism for getting this as far NW is gone. At the same time the 18z rgem went the other way so it may be a not unprecedented off hour burp.

It's hard to draw a true compromise between models but the ncep qpf map seems fair. Obviously large changes are about to occur one way or the other as I do not feel the compromise will be even, at this point one model camp will win with much higher weighting.

Mentioned it in the other thread, but that makes sense given their favoring of an equal blend of the Ukie, Euro, GEM, and GFS. One out of those four is a big hit, so 20-30% seems on the nose.

that seems pretty bullish IMO considering the storm is still going on after that

Probably should also toss out there that the 18z gfs lost the vortmax over ny state that it had for the prior several runs. I am expecting a correction SE on the 0z suite from ncep but I may well be wrong, just my thoughts.

I don't think your idea of an over-correction NW followed by gradual adjustment back SE it totally off base. You would hope we start seeing a narrowing towards a consensus.

I don't think your idea of an over-correction NW followed by gradual adjustment back SE it totally off base. You would hope we start seeing a narrowing towards a consensus.

It has played out very well to the 2013 playbook. We have had systems where the ggem and ukie came somewhat onboard at this range only to back off slightly as ncep collapsed se. I don't recall any with this much ensemble agreement, with the nogaps on board and presumably the rgem.

If the 18z gfs lost that feature and picks it back up this run its a monster. I just wonder if that was the first crack in the foundation... FIFO...first in first out.

Is the Ggem really a scraper? I mean I have 1.05 of QPF with 2 inch on the Cape

Its really drawn out...I suppose you could put it more under the moderate category. The Euro had near 1" in spots in SE MA too, but it was drawn out over like 40 hours.

SREFs look like they are narrowing a bit for QPF...they actually brought the heavier QPF in ME south a bit but they are even juicier in E MA/RI/CT. Maybe starting to narrow the goal posts?

I Felt like the 18z gfs was doing the same. Perhaps that'll be the compromise, a weaker NYS s/w curtails a huge NW shift but still crushes between the narrowing goal posts.

matt noyes is interpreting models and giving a pretty bullish forecast from NE ct hills thru ORh hills .....shows a pretty sharp cut off from hills to 128 and then again to the coast. I wont say amounts but he's going pretty big.

http://www.mattnoyes.net/forecast/2013/03/late-day-forecast-video-light-snow-tapers-quiet-tuesday-midweek-storm.html

Its not going to be rain on the 128 belt...not a chance during the heavy stuff. It might end as RA/SN mix or -RA

More rain or mix would be a worry if the precip stayed light.

If it's rain back through 128 or west then it means we're getting rates of .02"/hour kinda stuff. 

You are carrying that mantra maybe too far but I concur. FYI Will of the GGEM so 1.05. 85 comes in 18 hrs, not too bad

It was sort of a joke but to be honest nothing is really going to sway me tonight until I see the Euro... unless the GFS takes a huge step in one direction (south or north). 

It was sort of a joke but to be honest nothing is really going to sway me tonight until I see the Euro... unless the GFS takes a huge step in one direction (south or north).

Apparently they had a super computer failure, euro will be delayed until Thursday. Storm is cancelled until then.

14 hours in the nam has that feathered appeal with multiple vortmax lowering heights up here. Tom Pettys famous song comes to mind at this moment.

Archived