• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Guidance continues to ramp up. This is a classic wet march snow. Most of your haven't lived through the ones in the 50s but this is quite similar. None of those were forecasted correctly including march of 1958 which I remember as about a foot of cement growing up in nj.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently they had a super computer failure, euro will be delayed until Thursday. Storm is cancelled until then.

14 hours in the nam has that feathered appeal with multiple vortmax lowering heights up here. Tom Pettys famous song comes to mind at this moment.

Running Down a Dream? ;)

It's hard to argue against the Euro most times. And the evolution of this one was strange, it was an 18z run of the GFS that came in big after a mostly meh 12z run. That seemed suspect, but then 00z came in big again, you wait one more cycle to start ramping up and there is 12z today. Now it's hard to ignore.

matt noyes is interpreting models and giving a pretty bullish forecast from NE ct hills thru ORh hills .....shows a pretty sharp cut off from hills to 128 and then again to the coast. I wont say amounts but he's going pretty big.

http://www.mattnoyes.net/forecast/2013/03/late-day-forecast-video-light-snow-tapers-quiet-tuesday-midweek-storm.html

He said at least 6-12"

Running Down a Dream? ;)

It's hard to argue against the Euro most times. And the evolution of this one was strange, it was an 18z run of the GFS that came in big after a mostly meh 12z run. That seemed suspect, but then 00z came in big again, you wait one more cycle to start ramping up and there is 12z today. Now it's hard to ignore.

Yeah started really with yesterday's 12z GFS ensembles that were almost all big hits even though the op run was meh. 

Odd evolution for sure but the trends were pretty clear today. Maybe Dr. No will drop the hammer on this or this is the once a year big Euro bust. 

0z nam has a stronger retrograding New England vort. And more northern stream energy diving down the northern plains, yet because of the weird way its handling the upper low in the ohio valley, it looks like its going to end up south of the 18z run. Maybe I will be wrong, but its drastically handling the ohio valley ULL differently this run.

Probably should also toss out there that the 18z gfs lost the vortmax over ny state that it had for the prior several runs. I am expecting a correction SE on the 0z suite from ncep but I may well be wrong, just my thoughts.

This is a thread about forecast discussion so that's mine. If the gfs stays with not having as much energy in NYS I think some of the mechanism for getting this as far NW is gone. At the same time the 18z rgem went the other way so it may be a not unprecedented off hour burp.

It's hard to draw a true compromise between models but the ncep qpf map seems fair. Obviously large changes are about to occur one way or the other as I do not feel the compromise will be even, at this point one model camp will win with much higher weighting.

Wasnt the 18z GFS a big hit, despite losing this NYS feature?

The gfs seems able to lose features for a run but not alter its general idea only to bring back the feature the next run. Happens on the off hour runs. It not being there...some were saying it was a reason to discount. It does do that sometimes and the nam certainly hasn't lost it this run.

IMO its still the NAM. If NAM verifies then its like winning the Lotto.

Uk will be significant in my mind. We are in both its time of year and in our particular "blocky"  pattern associated with E,C,C,  + knowing how to adjust it. Doing all this it is trending close to EC.  Just my thoughts, 

IMO its still the NAM. If NAM verifies then its like winning the Lotto.

Uk will be significant in my mind. We are in both its time of year and in our particular "blocky" pattern associated with E,C,C, + knowing how to adjust it. Doing all this it is trending close to EC. Just my thoughts,

Nam is off the 18z at 5h by quite a bit. Phasing from the NW is delayed so far.

Archived